PDA

View Full Version : Moab 2013....what Dates????

JoFotoz
10/03/2012, 10:41 AM
Whats the consensus for Moab 2013??

Are we looking at the week of May 12-18th??

Jo

pbkid
10/03/2012, 11:11 AM
You really like to plan ahead huh?
Dunno, whenever the fam happens to be there, is my response.

JoFotoz
10/03/2012, 11:15 AM
Yea sorta...

You really like to plan ahead huh?

I've got a bunch of stuff happening 1st half of next year..so trying to plan a bit.

Plus of course...I wanna book room 111 :p

Jo

pbkid
10/03/2012, 11:17 AM
Yea sorta...

I've got a bunch of stuff happening 1st half of next year..so trying to plan a bit.

Plus of course...I wanna book room 111 :p

Jo

My bad, I'm a smart arse today, too much coffee and not enough sleep.

HeckaTrebeka
10/03/2012, 11:42 AM
That date seems very possible, for me... I might make an appearance with my posse. We were planning on going to Mohave in 2013, but I'm going to try championing a Moab trip, instead. We would be driving down from the Seattle, WA area.

VXorado
10/03/2012, 12:22 PM
... I don't know. Do we want to deal with Razor mania again? Anyone know if that's an annual meet for them or a one time trip?

BigSwede
10/03/2012, 12:54 PM
Traditionally it is the third weekend in May, and the week PREceding.

ND92
10/03/2012, 01:01 PM
I really want to go again but don't think I can. They scheduled a trial for the whole month of April and may. So hopefully it goes by fast and I can make it.

Scott Harness
10/03/2012, 01:02 PM
Tom had us change the dates because of Mothers Day,but I don't think he plans on coming anymore...so we could go back to the original dates.

JoFotoz
10/03/2012, 01:23 PM
Mothers Day is Sunday 12th May....

12th-18th would be the third w/end in May and the week PREceding.

So :_thinking

Jo

JoFotoz
10/03/2012, 01:24 PM
Dont know...

... I don't know. Do we want to deal with Razor mania again? Anyone know if that's an annual meet for them or a one time trip?

...but all in all it wasnt too bad with them there...in fact kind of entertaining at times :p

Better than a million Jeeps!

Jo

Dumke
10/03/2012, 01:51 PM
Was one of Lisa's friends (side by side person) talking how they where possibly talking about a different week? As Jack stated I dont care on day just need to know when to show up.

I need to reserve my room as well.

VX KAT
10/03/2012, 02:44 PM
Here's the official Moab calendar of events.

Looks like May 12, 13 and 14 are real open, then overlap a bit with the RZR crowd on 15, 16, 17??

http://www.discovermoab.com/calendar.htm

MAY 2013
Fri 3 Moab Guide Summit & BBQ - Splore has invited representatives from a number of local environmental education organizations to come and speak to our volunteers/ staff, as well as anyone else from the community that wants to stop by, about different aspects of the Colorado River canyons. We will have speakers discussing the human history of the area, leave no trace ethics, local wildlife and a lot more. This event will be directly followed by our annual guide BBQ at the Splore headquarters. Free! For more info visit splore.org or call 801-450-3192.

Sat 11 Moab Artwalk - Downtown Moab businesses and community organizations open their doors from 6-9pm, on the second Saturdays of spring and fall months, to invite the public to stroll through featured art exhibits. 2013 dates are April 13, May 11, June 8, September 14, October 12, and November 9. For more info visit moabartwalk.com or call 435-260-0738.

Sat 11 Red Rock Relay Moab - 6 man teams will traverse the Manti La Sal Loop Road starting and finishing from Swanny Park. Gather your 5 best friends and come have the run of a lifetime! For more info visit redrockrelay.com or call 801-830-1099.

Wed-Sat 15-18 Rally on the Rocks - Rally on the Rocks is a UTV/SxS exclusive event. We provide guided rides for trails from mild to wild. This is a family friendly event, so bring the kids, the wife, the grandkids for a "memory of a lifetime" experience. Don't forget our vendor row, and demo rides from manufacturers. The scenery is second to none, there's no place like MOAB! For more info visit rallyontherocks.com or call 801-589-0523.

Mon 27 Holiday - Memorial Day
Thu-Sat 5/30-6/1 Canyonlands PRCA Rodeo - Join us for 3 days of thrilling rodeo excitement at the annual Canyonlands PRCA Rodeo. Community events, carnival, vendors, Saturday parade, and the extreme sport we call rodeo! For more info visit moabcanyonlandsrodeo.com or call 435-259-4852.

Fri-Sat 5/31-6/1 Thelma & Louise Half Marathon - It'll be a wild ride--run with your best friend, your mom, your daughter, or new friends through the intense, gorgeous landscape of the outlaw heroines' journey. The Thelma & Louise Women's Half Marathon will inspire, challenge...and give back. Proceeds go to two organizations that support women and girls: Girls on the Run and Seekhaven Family Crisis Center. For more info visit moabhalfmarathon.com or call 435-259-4525.

VX crazy
10/03/2012, 02:45 PM
Was one of Lisa's friends (side by side person) talking how they where possibly talking about a different week? As Jack stated I dont care on day just need to know when to show up.

I need to reserve my room as well.

One of MY friends?? Side by side person??

HeckaTrebeka
10/03/2012, 04:39 PM
Are we looking at the week of May 12-18th??

I have already made up my mind for this date. I like it.

Triathlete
10/03/2012, 05:31 PM
12-18....I may be running the relay on the 11th :)

BigSwede
10/03/2012, 05:35 PM
Tom had us change the dates because of Mothers Day,but I don't think he plans on coming anymore...so we could go back to the original dates.

Tom tried to get the date changed...then the calendar accommodated him without moving ZuZoo...then he stopped coming anyway.

In any case, since I have been going (my first ZuZoo was 2001) it has always been the third weekend in May (the official ZuZoo event went Wednesday-Saturday), but has morphed a bit to include pretty much the whole week prior for those that can swing it. Most folks figure if they are going to drive that far, why not get some more time in Moab out of it.

I don't say this to say it has to be then, but that is what it has always been.

And I know some people (Gismo42 Dave is one) have already locked in their vacation for that week because their stupid job has the scheduling flexibility of Haley's comet.

Dumke
10/04/2012, 06:26 AM
One of MY friends?? Side by side person??

It was a guy that came by the stoop who had a side by side (Razr) and he was with the big group that was in town. For the life of me I dont remember his name because I had a bit to drink that day and its hard enough trying to remember my own name at times.

You had almost talked him into letting you drive it.

Anyways I remember him stating they where possibly going to move their day (but I wouldnt hold my breath).

VXorado
10/04/2012, 07:58 AM
Tom tried to get the date changed...then the calendar accommodated him without moving ZuZoo...then he stopped coming anyway.

In any case, since I have been going (my first ZuZoo was 2001) it has always been the third weekend in May (the official ZuZoo event went Wednesday-Saturday), but has morphed a bit to include pretty much the whole week prior for those that can swing it. Most folks figure if they are going to drive that far, why not get some more time in Moab out of it.

I don't say this to say it has to be then, but that is what it has always been.

And I know some people (Gismo42 Dave is one) have already locked in their vacation for that week because their stupid job has the scheduling flexibility of Haley's comet.

Well if Dave and others have already locked in their vacation days and Billy has a relay, we should stick with the 12th-18th.

JoFotoz
10/04/2012, 01:44 PM
OK THEN!

I've booked RM 111 from 12th through 20th.

Talked to Red Rock Lodge today.

Discount confirmed at 15%

Call them on :- 1-877-253-5431

Tell them you are with the Isuzu Vehicross MOB and they will hook you up.

For newbies....

Quiet rooms are the newer ones across the parking lot...
...noisy rooms are the old ones on the STOOP.

Looking Fwd to ...

Lots of this................:_steering

Heaps of this............:p

A bit o'this.................:_beer:

Not too much of .......:smack:

Very little...................:snooz:

And none of..............:argue:

Jo

Triathlete
10/04/2012, 02:46 PM
And for the more adventurous types...
Camping for a lot of the zu group is at Rons Pack Creek Campground.

VxSport
10/04/2012, 04:09 PM
I am in.... I have one of those set in stone work schedules, so posting vaca time won't be a problem.

Need info on the area... some said they stay in a hotel (room #), how about camping near by. Do any others camp?

Ldub
10/04/2012, 05:22 PM
And for the more adventurous types...
Camping for a lot of the zu group is at Rons Pack Creek Campground.

I am in.... I have one of those set in stone work schedules, so posting vaca time won't be a problem.

Need info on the area... some said they stay in a hotel (room #), how about camping near by. Do any others camp?

There ya go then...:smilewink

Looking 4ward 2 C-ing U there...:dance:

VX KAT
10/04/2012, 06:11 PM
Looking Fwd to ...

Lots of this................:_steering

Jo

:eek: :eek:
HUH! Shamelessly stolen from the original author!!!
Jo, how could you! No Chocolate Monkees for you!! :goof:

2013 Let's DO IT!!!
Here's the unofficial schedule of activities:

Little of this.....:bla:

Lots of this.... :_group2:

Little of this... :_steering

Little of this, er um, a lot of this...:_beer:

Hopefully not too much of this...:_wrench: :smack: or this....;puke2;

Little more of this..:_steering

Maybe some of this...:driver:

Some more of this...:_beer:

None of this.....:argue:

Some of this....:slap:

Oh my, maybe even this....:dan_ban: :naughty:

And lots and lots of this......:laugho:

And hopefully, some of this....:snooz:

Ldub
10/04/2012, 06:15 PM

Oh my, maybe even this....:dan_ban: :naughty:

Yep...been there, & have actually witnessed that...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/SDC10793.JPG

OMG...I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG while...:laughing:

JoFotoz
10/04/2012, 08:37 PM
Um Sue....

...it WAS done prior to your UBER rendition dontcha know !

:cool:

jo

VX KAT
10/04/2012, 08:47 PM
Um Sue....

...it WAS done prior to your UBER rendition dontcha know !

:cool:

jo

so I shamelessly stole it??? What a cad I am! :mbrasd:
(here I thought I created that....I gotta lay off the stuff...whatever stuff that is..:goof:)

JoFotoz
10/04/2012, 08:56 PM
Oh He77 no Sue...

so I shamelessly stole it??? What a cad I am! :mbrasd:
(here I thought I created that....I gotta lay off the stuff...whatever stuff that is..:goof:)

.....you keep doin'g what yer doing.

Your version is the Gold Standard :thumbup:

jo

Dumke
10/05/2012, 10:01 AM
OK THEN!

I've booked RM 111 from 12th through 20th.

Jo

BOOM room 110 from 12th to the 18th

Scott Harness
10/05/2012, 10:25 AM

BOOM...room 108 from 12th to the 18th:yesy::dance::jump:

pbkid
10/05/2012, 03:03 PM
Oh man, trouble brewing... Got 109 booked.

Gonna be the corner from 'you know where'

JoFotoz
10/05/2012, 05:00 PM
Be afraid....

...be very afraid :eek:

Jack, Robert, me ,,,then Dub.....DEATH ROW !
( No doubt Mark, CeCe & Gill et al too...OMG!!)

Gotta hate this 'family' thang!

(PS..my birthday on May 18th....:p )

:LineWave:

jo

Ldub
10/05/2012, 05:53 PM

BOOM...room 108 from 12th to the 18th:yesy::dance::jump:

Be afraid....

...be very afraid :eek:

Scott, Jack, Robert, me ,,,then Dub.....DEATH ROW !
( No doubt Mark, CeCe & Gill et al too...OMG!!)

Gotta hate this 'family' thang!

(PS..my birthday on May 18th....:p )

:LineWave:

jo

BOOM...booked room 112, 12th-19th...:dan_ban:

Def row...front porch of the "Moab Mafia"...:laughing:

The smell alone oughta be enough to keep pedestrian traffic to a minimum...:smilewink

jeeperkate
10/05/2012, 07:27 PM
I WANT TO GO!!! timing looks good for work, but I can't reserve vacation until January...we shall see :_beer:

tom4bren
12/05/2012, 05:40 AM
Bren & I are still shooting for attending. Probably won't be the full week since we've got to plan for all that road time (32 hours/2025 miles).

Lets see ... that works out to about $1300 in fuel costs alone ... what a deal ... shoulda done this years ago!!!

My guess is that we will NOT be part of the stoop-id crew since we'll have the hotel room on wheels.

BigSwede
12/05/2012, 06:47 AM
I usually set up my tent at a campground, but just sleep there. Evenings are spent at the stoop socializing and/or repairing as necessary.

tom4bren
12/05/2012, 07:17 AM
I usually set up my tent at a campground, but just sleep there. Evenings are spent at the stoop socializing and/or repairing as necessary.

Absolooootly. Was planning on being at least that stoop-id. Is Pack Creek within stumbling distance???

BigSwede
12/05/2012, 12:44 PM
No...about the only one that might be considered walking distance from the stoop. is Canyonlands Campground.

I have been tempted to set up my tent in the dirt patch next to Larry's room...

Triathlete
12/05/2012, 02:09 PM

They would all be jelous because your "room" would be bigger than theres! All hail the taj ma tent! :)

pbkid
12/05/2012, 08:01 PM
No...about the only one that might be considered walking distance from the stoop. is Canyonlands Campground.

Ive thought about that, as well as sleeping in the back of the Runner in the stoop parking lot ;) but i didnt want everything bouncing around the back all day.

tom4bren
12/06/2012, 06:59 AM

ROFL

Nah, I like the looks of Pack Creek for the RV & a 10-15 min drive is nothing compared to my normal commute. I was just kidding about 'stumbling distance'.

I think it's cool that Pack Creek Campground is totally wind powered. I know that Dub thinks he is too but that's another topic entirely.

BigSwede
12/06/2012, 07:13 AM
Ive thought about that, as well as sleeping in the back of the Runner in the stoop parking lot ;) but i didnt want everything bouncing around the back all day.

I've thought about that too... I have a nice sleeping platform in the Trooper, and have slept in it on several "overland" trips now. Not sure if the proprietors would like that though. I guess I could park on the street if I had to. Tempting.

VXorado
12/06/2012, 08:28 AM

I've thought about that too... I have a nice sleeping platform in the Trooper, and have slept in it on several "overland" trips now. Not sure if the proprietors would like that though. I guess I could park on the street if I had to. Tempting.

That's a good idea, just throw you're stuff in someones room before hitting the trails. You could probably bum a shower too. ;)

Now if the VX wasn't so small... :sighgray:

VXorado
12/06/2012, 08:29 AM
Bren & I are still shooting for attending.

Very Cool. :thumbup:

pbkid
12/06/2012, 03:59 PM
That's a good idea, just throw you're stuff in someones room before hitting the trails. You could probably bum a shower too. ;)

Now if the VX wasn't so small... :sighgray:

Ive got plenty of room for a bed in mine, but like i said, id much rather not have enerything bouncing around. If my rig was set up for overland then i would have compartments for everything, but i lean more towards the crawling side.

BigSwede
12/06/2012, 05:01 PM
Not sure what you mean by "everything"...if my sleeping bag and pillow bounce around some it's no big deal.

PK
12/06/2012, 05:46 PM
I think he means the genset, tv, x-box, latte machine etc.

PK

pbkid
12/06/2012, 06:00 PM
I think he means the genset, tv, x-box, latte machine etc.

PK

yes sir!!

no, i meant; cooler, spare tire, camping chair, tools, spare parts, etc
and yes, generally i would have my cooler, spare tire and tools on the trail, but those would be all tied down with ratchet straps and i dont think those would be too comfy to sleep on top of ;)
Sure, it could be situated to fit everything necessary comfortably, but i would much prefer to have compartments built into the back for that, then a flat bed on top of everything inside its proper container.

HeckaTrebeka
12/07/2012, 08:09 AM
Hey guys. Gonna have to skip out on the Moab meet... My buddies and I are going to Colorado to the FJ Summit trail instead.

BigSwede
12/07/2012, 10:13 AM
I don't know which trail that is, but aren't most of the passes still be snowed in, in May?

Jay Dunford
12/07/2012, 01:55 PM
The FJ summit is in July. I thought about going when I had the FJ, but 250+ vehicles trying to fit into a few trails around Ouray seemed like too much hassle. I like our little group much better.

HeckaTrebeka
12/07/2012, 06:46 PM
I don't know which trail that is, but aren't most of the passes still be snowed in, in May?

You bring up a good point... I have no idea how long the passes will be blocked off. I'll have to bring that up in our planning meeting.

The FJ summit is in July. I thought about going when I had the FJ, but 250+ vehicles trying to fit into a few trails around Ouray seemed like too much hassle. I like our little group much better.

Well we weren't planning on attending the summit, but instead going on the trails that FJ summit uses in May... that is, if they're open.

pbkid
12/08/2012, 07:41 AM
You bring up a good point... I have no idea how long the passes will be blocked off. I'll have to bring that up in our planning meeting.

Well we weren't planning on attending the summit, but instead going on the trails that FJ summit uses in May... that is, if they're open.
No real trails will be open in may. Lower altitudes, yes, but not as high up as ouray.
July, absolutely, but not early spring.

BigSwede
12/08/2012, 09:51 AM
Check this website to see when they have been open historically...

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

Gizmo42
12/09/2012, 02:43 PM
Depends on if we ever get snow. On occasion you might find some open high passes in May but usually not. Sometimes they arent open before august.

I'll probably book my spot at Pack Creek next month so hopefully I can get a better spot. Would like to be all fancy and have a motel room but cant afford it, I own a Volvo.