PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Swap

VX MileHigh
10/03/2012, 10:24 AM
I picked up a rear-view mirror from a 2002 Axiom. It has auto-dim and Homelink. This should be a simple replacement but I have been trying to fine out which of the two wires is hot and which is ground. With two wires that should be easy but either way I hooked up the wires it didn't seem to work. So, does anyone know if one of connectors on the mirror is a constant on? I assumed that the wires for the map lights on the OEM mirror are hot and ground but that might not be correct either.

HeckaTrebeka
10/03/2012, 11:44 AM
Perhaps the wires do not provide enough power. Do you have a multi-meter? Those things save lives.

VX MileHigh
10/03/2012, 01:01 PM
Perhaps the wires do not provide enough power. Do you have a multi-meter? Those things save lives.

I have a multi-meter, any idea what kind of voltage I should looking for?

HeckaTrebeka
10/03/2012, 04:38 PM
I have a multi-meter, any idea what kind of voltage I should looking for?

Probably a 12v connection would be what it requires. You should look up a manual for your mirror to see the voltage requirements.

VX MileHigh
10/08/2012, 01:12 PM
I finally had some extra time to look at the mirror swap again. I have it working now. I checked the wiring colors and guessed at which was hot. It still didn't work but I had noticed the overhead light did not go on. The fuse had blown at some point and I didn't even think to check. At any rate I now have Homelink and an auto dim mirror my VX.

Knigh7s
10/08/2012, 01:44 PM
Awesome you figured out the problem. How did you go about mounting it? I was looking at some images from ebay and the mount point doesn't look the same, but I might be looking at it wrong... Would you mind snapping a few pictures!!! :yeso:

VX MileHigh
10/09/2012, 07:07 AM
Awesome you figured out the problem. How did you go about mounting it? I was looking at some images from ebay and the mount point doesn't look the same, but I might be looking at it wrong... Would you mind snapping a few pictures!!! :yeso:I was lucky the one I bought had the mount with it. They mount on metal piece that is glued to the windshield. I bet you could find on at a junk yard. If the mirror I just looked at this morning that is the same mirror that I used. If you are interested in the mirror, you might ask the seller if they have the mount. Good luck.

Knigh7s
10/09/2012, 12:44 PM
I was lucky the one I bought had the mount with it. They mount on metal piece that is glued to the windshield. I bet you could find on at a junk yard. If the mirror I just looked at this morning that is the same mirror that I used. If you are interested in the mirror, you might ask the seller if they have the mount. Good luck.

Great! I'll look into it. I've been wanting to integrate my garage door opener into the car somehow, I really don't like that clip on visor remotes... Wish I thought about that sooner! Thanks! :yeso:

MSHardeman
10/09/2012, 12:58 PM
You can always get the Isuzu "home link" and make use of the second button on your stock remote.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Isuzu_Opener_09_01.JPG

Knigh7s
10/09/2012, 01:16 PM
You can always get the Isuzu "home link" and make use of the second button on your stock remote.

I thought about that, but then you would only have one option (as in just that one garage). I have a universal remote right now where I can open my parents garage and brothers garage doors as well as mine.

I was actually reading the thread of your install a couple days ago, I really don't like the limited range of our fobs. But, it is still an option. :grino:

VX MileHigh
10/09/2012, 02:35 PM
I thought about that, but then you would only have one option (as in just that one garage). I have a universal remote right now where I can open my parents garage and brothers garage doors as well as mine.

I was actually reading the thread of your install a couple days ago, I really don't like the limited range of our fobs. But, it is still an option. :grino:

The HomeLink in the mirror can control three different openers. I only programmed one. I have Homelink on just about everything that I own and I think all of them will control three diffferent openers.

Cobrajet
10/10/2012, 10:43 AM
A little double-sided tape and I have my own Homelink. I don't even have to lower the visor. The way it's set up I can just push the visor (when it's up) to activate the center button. Completely hidden. Of course, if I want to open the other garage door I need to lower the visor.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93725352/VX_remote.jpg

Funny. I bought Homelink visor's for both of my '98 Lincoln Mark VIII's, and then removed them before trading the cars in. So, if you know anybody who needs a nearly new (still in the bag) Mark VIII visor (gray interior), I have one for either a moon-roof or non-moon-roof car.