PDA

View Full Version : Rims Pitting/Peeling...Warranty?

jbregar
10/19/2003, 11:08 PM
I've read conflicting reports on here...I just noticed that my rims are pitting and peeling on the inside and I'd like to get them replaced. However... I've seen a 12 mos. / 12,000 mile limit on wheel warranty.

Is this documented anywhere?

jb.

EDIT: Okay, so I read through my warranty booklet and the ONLY thing I can see that might remotely apply is this:

What is Not Covered

J. Surface corrosion on other than body panels caused from defective materials and workmanship is not covered after 12 months of 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Hmmm... does the pitting/peeling ever make it out to the visible rim or is this limited to the inside surface (which I could live with).

jb.

driver3
10/20/2003, 07:47 AM
So far mine has stayed inside... but I've since bought steel 16's and I never have the 18's in the salt anymore (ohio roads)... If they eventually get messed up all over, inside and out, I'm planning on sending them to some rim company to have them blasted and painted black... but for now, the outside chrome is as shiney as new, it's just the bubbles on the inside... btw, the 18's are simple to bend... 3 out of 4 are bent on mine, not horribly but they are, I'll have that fixed if/when I repaint them.. I found this out when I got my new tires for the 18's, the guy said he was able to balance them but couldn't guarantee they would stay that way...

omegavx
10/20/2003, 09:39 AM
My rims had the pitting and peeling on the inside. It never came to the outside. But, if you get them replaced the whole rim looks 10 times better because the inside doesn't look as dark and warn. My vx has been in service 16 months 17,000 miles and I got all 4 replaced under warranty. No questions asked at all, I just showed the dealer the inside pitting/peeling and he ordered me new ones. So, they are covered under warranty and you should get them replaced as soon as you can. The only thing is they seem to be hard to come by so you might have to wait 2 to 4 weeks for them to come in once you've taken it to the dealer.

Hope this helps.

driver3
10/20/2003, 10:05 AM
I had 15k and they said they "ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT FIX THEM UNDER WARRANTY"...... they are considered external non body panels..etc... I was at like 8 months and 15k, but it was whatever came first and I said other people had them done, I said all kinds of things, but they wouldn't do it.... so I said forget it... I should have gone in right when I saw the pitting at 8k, but I thought the rims were part of the 5yr/50 or 60 or whatever but they're not...

omegavx
10/20/2003, 10:33 AM
Sounds like your dealer just doesn't want to do the work. If it wasn't so far you could roll on over to the North side of indy and probably get them replaced without any problems. But, like I said it takes awhile to get them in so you'd probably have to make 2 trips :( The dealer here didn't say anything about a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty, in fact they didn't say much at all execpt that it was pitting/peeling and they'd order them. "Yup, it is peeling, lets go order those for you."

Vasha13
10/20/2003, 10:35 AM
Force the issue. My dealership tried to get out of it too and all I had to do was print the many VX owners posts from this forum that had the same problem. They even replaced the one I took a huge chunk of chrome out of when my VX went swimming at the Slab. ;Dr; My VX was at 15K miles.

They did have to wait until the area rep came by to look at it. VX Crazy had the same issue/problem and we both had them replaced at the same dealership/same rep.

AlaskaVX
10/20/2003, 11:03 AM
OK well I experienced the same problem around 25,000 miles. I went to the dealer, I dropped off one of my wheels. I called every 2 days asking for an update with no real answer. After a week and a half I went in there and the guy told me that they would not warranty it (no real explanation) I heard him talking to another guy saying "I need this tire out of my office". I think they just sat on the tire without doing a thing. They gave me a 1-800 number to call and I finally called them last week. They told me that the rims are under the 50,000 mile warranty! Now I have to go back to the dealer (now with over 50,000 miles) and try to get documentation that I was there with my rims prior to exceeding 50,000 miles. A big pain in the butt but hopefully I will get new rims out of it.

driver3
10/20/2003, 01:33 PM
I'm at 60k now.. but they should have it documented somewhere... maybe I'll try indy...

TucsonVX
10/20/2003, 02:13 PM
I experienced the same problem around 38,000 miles/22 months. I went to the dealer, I dropped off one of my wheels. The dis. Rep said they "ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT FIX THEM UNDER WARRANTY"...... they are considered external non body panels..etc... with a 12month/ 12000 mile coverage. He also said it was poor workmanship.

driver3
10/21/2003, 05:53 AM
Well at least there's some consistency with the isuzu reps... :confused:

Wouldn't you think poor workmanship would be covered by warranty anyway????????

mrlarrys
10/21/2003, 12:14 PM
I went to a New York dealer (hassett)with pitting and bubbling rims, a rusting windshield wiper cowl, and bad headlight gaskets and dealer called Isuzu rep - rep did not even come down - just authorized it over the phone. My 2001 had only 7,500 miles on it 2 monthes ago and now everything is fixed and looking great . :)

Raque Thomas
10/21/2003, 02:35 PM
Just checked my rims, and all four have this problem :mad:
I went by the dealer, and he said that Isuzu is being "funny" about warranty work, they would have to wait until he comes to the dealership in three weeks and have him look at it. Kind of strange, since my car has never seen a winter - was in Las Vegas until this May. I'll let you know what happens - but I assure you that I WILL push the issue to the limit if they try to deny coverage!

Blythe65
11/26/2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
OK well I experienced the same problem around 25,000 miles... They gave me a 1-800 number to call and I finally called them last week. They told me that the rims are under the 50,000 mile warranty!

Two questions - did they get replaced? If so, you wouldn't happen to have the number, would you? And possibly a name?

Thanx!
Blythe

Have less than 9,000 miles on a 2001, but Isuzu screwing me because they say I am not the original owner. (The dealership is the original owner, because they bought it from Isuzu when Isuzu pulled out of the location... Only had 200 miles when I purchased about a year ago)

:wtfp2:

AlaskaVX
11/26/2003, 11:54 AM
Now that is some BS! 9,000 miles and they won't honor it! I can't remember the person I talked to but I remember I just held on the line until someone answered and it was a lady. I posted the 1-800 number here somewhere, do a search fore 1-800 and it will pop up. Good Luck, I don't think you should run into any problems though. I'm a second owner too! I just dropped off my car to get the headlights installed under warranty and will be picking up the new wheels when I pick it up!

Deathbyarchitect
11/26/2003, 01:19 PM
mine is 2 years old with 12,500 miles and they replaced 2 rims several month ago. a week ago I noticed 3 rims are pitting -including the one hey replaced-, so I called the dealer and
they told me dis. manager need to inspect them.
they told me they will replace all 4 kinda under warranty however, I have to pay $40 for mounting and balancing because my VX is out of 12mo. 12k warranty....;eeky; ;eeky; ;eeky; hahaha...so I guess what I have is quasi-warranty??..hahaha
anyway they are replacing my 2 headlight assemblies under warranty too

Raque Thomas
11/26/2003, 02:46 PM
Took mine to the dealer with 20,000 miles on it. The service manager called the area rep and was told to replace them under warranty. Just waiting for them to come in...

mrtew
11/27/2003, 10:44 AM
Mine are totally pitted at 35,000 miles. Probably too late for me unless people have some more stories about getting them replaced with higher mileages. I guess it wouldn't do that much good unless I was planning on selling anyway because it would just happen again. Do other cars have this problem with chrome wheels or did Isuzu just find the cheapest wheels ever?

WyrreJ
11/27/2003, 11:02 AM
I haven't seen a report of any replaced rims flaking, I got the impression it was a known manufacturing flaw, since corrected.