PDA

View Full Version : tod REALLY disconnected - 2wd for the time being

BBVX
10/19/2003, 04:39 PM
Offroading with the club, doing the "left-foot locker" trick on a small rock, and I hear a snap/pop from the front end and from then on I have no 4wd. I remember Swordy and Bob talking about shattered CV joints but I dismiss that because there is no grinding noise and didn't have drive in either tire. So we figure it's something in the pumpkin.
We get off the trail, back on pavement and whatever metal piece broke off in the diff, gets sucked into the gears and the front tires seize momentarily. Now I've got a grinding noise so I'm assuming the diff is shot.
Now I'm 75+ miles from home with metal chunks in my front diff. Luckily, one of the guys has experience with Isuzu stuff and we pull the drive caps out of the hubs and remove the main front driveshaft, totally isolating the pumkin from the wheels and the drivetrain. So now I have 2wd, and more pep with the mud terrains on than with the front axle connected w/ street tires, and it took less than an hour to disconnect.
Hopefully, the dealership will fix it under warranty, but that remains to be seen.

Any other offroaders have similar problems??

Brian

ScottinMA
10/19/2003, 06:03 PM
Yikes Brian!!! If Isuzu is problematic I can introduce you someone that can resolve the issue.

Scott

BigMeatVX
10/20/2003, 02:58 AM
Souds like the CV to me.... i've broke a couple of them...

Did you have the front tires turned when it broke????

Allan
99 VX on 36" Buckshot Radials

BBVX
10/20/2003, 03:27 PM
Nope, front wheels were straight. Would a broken CV cause both front axles to lock up like that??

I did a search and didn't find any info on anyone else breaking the gears in their diff, though.

Brian

Green Dragon
10/20/2003, 03:55 PM
Have broken both a CV Joint & Axle, neither kept the opposite side from driving- Yours sounds like a broken Pinion Gear which might have jammed the Ring Gear..
Hopefully you are not lifted or flipped the Ball joints & it can be repaired under Warranty.

Dragon Bob:confused:

BigMeatVX
10/20/2003, 08:44 PM
You could always drain the fluid out of the front diff...check to see if it has a bunch of metal fileings or chunks!

Mine did have one tire "lock-up" momentarly after the CV died (while turning)...
I assumed it was the balls binding up

Allan

BBVX
10/21/2003, 02:40 AM
Thanks Scott, I'm taking it in tomorrow, we'll see what they say.

Brian

ScottinMA
10/21/2003, 04:11 AM
Hope it all works out. Glad you were able to drive it.

Scott

BBVX
10/24/2003, 04:47 AM
Well, the front diff is shot and it will take 5-6 business days for them to get a replacement. The kicker is, they think that driving it without the front axles engaged might mess up the TOD computer, so I can't have it back until after they fix it.

I guess we'll be renting a Focus today.:(

Brian

Green Dragon
10/24/2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by BBVX
Well, the front diff is shot and it will take 5-6 business days for them to get a replacement.
Brian

Are they replacing it under warranty?

Dragon Bob;Db;

BBVX
10/25/2003, 01:12 PM
Are they replacing it under warranty?

I've been too afraid to ask.

Has anyone ever heard of any other diff going bad?? Offroaders or otherwise? More specifically, Can they blame it on my offroading when no other offroaders have ever broken a diff??

Brian

SGT.BATGUANO
10/25/2003, 09:18 PM
Probably B.S. on screwing up the computer. I can't imagine it doing anything that a simple reset couldn't cure. ANDY454?

Green Dragon
10/26/2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by BBVX
I've been too afraid to ask.

Has anyone ever heard of any other diff going bad?? Offroaders or otherwise? More specifically, Can they blame it on my offroading when no other offroaders have ever broken a diff??

Brian

Unless your modified the suspension etc they would have a hard time proving anything.
Hopefully it will be accomplished under warranty as we are talking about $2000 + here. If they don't honor warranty call Isuzu service rep.

Dragon Bob ;Db;

Tone
10/26/2003, 12:02 PM
Another dumb dealer - I drove without a front driveshaft for several weeks waiting for a new one after it snapped.

BigMeatVX
10/26/2003, 12:34 PM
If you fight with them a little bit, they WILL cover it...
I have had them replace CVs two different times.

It says right it the 01 pamphlet, that the Isuzu suvs can be taken OFF-HIGHWAY

On the bit about the TOD, it says "Go from from dry pavement to rain to muddy trail to snow and back."

They even metion use of a snowplow!!!

If the dealer is not reasonable, mention words like, false advertising, atty. and media....

My guess is that things will go your way very shortly after that!

Do they have the front appart yet?

Allan:D

BBVX
10/27/2003, 02:21 PM
I didn't figure driving w/o the front connected would be a problem. Like I mentioned before, I drove it for 3 days before the dealer could take it in to be looked at and it only seemed sportier!

Allan, are you talking about the 2001 Isuzu "100 reasons" booklet?? I am currently going through all my literature and marking down even the slightest hint of anything referring to taking the VX offroad, just so I can be prepared to come out fighting if necessary. We can't afford $2K for something that shouldn't have broken in the first place. Especially in an SUV that is a
quantum leap in cross-terrain engineering. (pg. 6)

If anyone can send any more info my way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Navigator
10/28/2003, 06:21 AM
... Just don't volunteer how you "think" it got broken. Just take it in for service and say it broke while you were driving it. It's not as if you were doing anything the VX is not capable of doing, you were just driving it the way it was meant to drive, so why worry it's covered :naughty:

Hope this helps :D

nater
04/06/2004, 03:36 PM
I'm certain you drove like this:

http://www.isuzu.com/owners_driving_4x4.jsp

Nate