PDA

View Full Version : Front ARB Locker install estimate

spaceCADETzoom
09/28/2012, 09:20 PM
I (my dad did actually, while the VX is in SoCal and I'm deployed) got an out the door estimate for $2748.00 for parts and labor of a front ARB locker install. Includes locker, compressor and installation. I thought it sounded good, but really, does anyone have any opinion on that price? This also includes installation of indy4x torsion bars which I intended for a winch/bumper extra weight.

What I found interesting is that the shop did not think the RD94 was the right one. I'm still getting answers on which model they're saying is right (it's annoying when all commo is via email). It's a reputable shop, and they took a couple days to research the VX, but...? In fact, they reccomended not doing i altogether for a "daily driver" that my dad told them my VX was, because it's awfully expensive.

THoughts? Pretty sure this will sideline any winch plans for a while; it was either/or not winch AND locker.

Triathlete
09/28/2012, 09:48 PM
Shoot Matt at indy4x an email. He should be able to answer all those questions as well as what an install would cost at his shop.

spaceCADETzoom
09/29/2012, 08:14 PM
Good idea; I sent an email to indy4x.

Turns out the estimate was for the rear axle. But overall, as far as the itemized estimate goes, it'll probably be about the same:

The locker itself and compressor, about $1300
gear oil about 25

Labor:
diff bearing setup: 275
install: 600
compressor and lines and switch install 300

The way I see it, if I ordered a full 3d member from indy4x, it'd end up being more expensive ($1500-1700), for the peace of mind of isuzu subject matter expertise. The peace of mind of a better shape differential is not existant, considering indy4x has a used one, all the same--it's a dice roll whether it's better off than what I have. So, if the SoCal shop is charging $1300 (1k for the arb, about 300 for the setup), indy4x is charging $1500 (not inc shipping) for the same but including a "new" used differential altogether, and 10bolt "expertise".

So, what say the VX community?

[Side question--Can the OP thread hijack: winch vs locker..?] :)

Ldub
09/30/2012, 04:37 AM
Chances are good that the front locker install will co$t MORE than the rear...:(

As the entire center section has to be dropped for the third member to come out.
The rear axle is MUCH easier, as you only have to pull the speed sensors, rear axle shafts, drive shaft, & third member.

spaceCADETzoom
09/30/2012, 05:48 AM
Chances are good that the front locker install will co$t MORE than the rear...:(

As the entire center section has to be dropped for the third member to come out.
The rear axle is MUCH easier, as you only have to pull the speed sensors, rear axle shafts, drive shaft, & third member.

...are we talking $1000 more or $300 more..? eep.:(

Ldub
09/30/2012, 07:16 AM
I don't have the labor broken down into difference: front vs rear...:_confused

The shop will let ya know...:yesgray:

chadzu
09/30/2012, 02:53 PM
It takes about 3 times as long to pull the front. A decent estimate would be to tripple the hours at shop rate. Or get a written quote before they start. Then the learning curve is on them.
You basically have to tear the whole front suspension apart to get the front axle housing out. If you do go for the install consider diff drop brackets at the same time.

VXorado
09/30/2012, 05:51 PM
So, what say the VX community?

[Side question--Can the OP thread hijack: winch vs locker..?] :)

Easy question, both winch AND locker. :)

I think $2700-$2800 isn't too bad considering the required labor. That being said, I would buy the complete 3rd from Indy4x and install yourself. With the forum guides, the front axle isn't too difficult if you're able to wench on the VX for a weekend.

If you end up in Colorado Springs again, I will even give you a hand. :yesb:

spaceCADETzoom
10/01/2012, 08:53 PM
Easy question, both winch AND locker. :)

I think $2700-$2800 isn't too bad considering the required labor. That being said, I would buy the complete 3rd from Indy4x and install yourself. With the forum guides, the front axle isn't too difficult if you're able to wench on the VX for a weekend.

If you end up in Colorado Springs again, I will even give you a hand. :yesb:
Winch AND locker? I do tend to get into splurge buying mode at around this time of a deployment, so if you had asked me last night, I would probably have pulled the trigger on both.

But my dad just came back form the shop (ROCK TECH in LA HABRA- North OC. I'll probably put up a recomendation or review after all is done, but so far, they're awesome, treating my dad well--and he's had a lot of different shops treat him like trash for all the nutty car mods I've put him through every deployment). Fortunately for my checking account, they don't have the time to do any extensive fabrication for a winch right now.

They can, though, hook me up with the locker. New estimate puts it at the same price, and just goes to show you how much I've been reading online is outdated (or maybe I should spend more time on planetisuzu), but ARB's RD203 is the new hotness, and supercedes the RD94. They're estimating the same labor, after looking the VX over. Dunno if they've rounded up for the rear in the previous quote, or rounded down for the front; there's probably enough padding in the estimate.

As for indy4x's complete 3d, I think that will be way over my ability (even with help!). THanks though! Should be back in Colorado by CHristmas, and all fab work will probably keep until next year; I have an appointment with Armorology, who may hook me up with the bumper/winch, sliders that actually fit (the rocky road ones I sold last year), maybe even skid plates.

Triathlete
10/01/2012, 09:09 PM
Keep in mind that along with all those toys comes greater risk of breakage...it's never a bad idea to know how to wrench on those parts! :)

spaceCADETzoom
10/01/2012, 11:07 PM
Knowing how, or even figuring out how, is different than expertise and trust in the initial installation...I still figure a proper installation and setup by folks who've done it a few times, or even have done it for a living for a couple decades, is infintely more trustworthy than an idiot with a degree in political science. :)

VXorado
10/02/2012, 07:39 AM
I didn't know anything about a new ARB... hmmm interesting. I wonder why the RD94 is being replaced. I've been trying to buy one from a local buddy.

Let me know after Christmas when you're back in town. We're on the same page with mods... I have a rear ARB locker (waiting install), working on buying the front locker, and I have a Warn XD9000 sitting in the garage waiting for me to built it a bumper. Just need to finish before Moab 2013. :smilewink

BigSwede
10/02/2012, 11:49 AM
I believe there has been a general redesign of the air locker...nothing Isuzu-specific.

chadzu
10/02/2012, 05:56 PM
Looks like the rd203 is the new one piece case design. This is a stronger design and will be the way to go if you are buying a new one. The two piece case on the rd94 is still a good locker and is probably stronger that the rest of the front end anyway. I suppose it is good news for us that arb decided it was worth their while to build the new design for the Isuzu.

spaceCADETzoom
10/03/2012, 08:48 AM
Ugh. Mission creep, every second the truck's not under the knife, I think of new things to add on to the bill, "things to do while it's already apart."

I debated to do a new thread...but here goes.

"While it's already apart," would regearing may as well be done here? I'm runnning my stock 4.30, on 32in tires. I'm thinking of going 4.56. What would need to be bought in the rear? Is it "just" the ring and pinion set? As in this

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=543

Thinking of just getting the full 3d member for the front with the ARB already installed, and have the local shop worry about putting it all in (compressor, et al). And does regearing in the rear lose my LSD? Sorry, noob questions, and I tried searching, but didn't really get specific answers. I completely understand if all patience is lost and this thread disappears, because of inane questions of the OP...

BigSwede
10/03/2012, 09:51 AM
ARB installation will require setting up the gears again, so yes it would be more efficient in the long term to do the ARB and the gears at the same time.

Many 2nd gen Troopers have a rear LSD with their 4.56 gears.