PDA

View Full Version : All back together; fresh fluid/new intercooler, won't shift, slips bad after takeoff

CowboyErik
09/28/2012, 05:16 PM
Well, I got it all back together, cycled the gears, checked level running a couple of times; got unit nice and hot; got plenty of fluid in the unit, drove it; runs up to 16 to 20MPH in 1st gear and won't shift, I guess the gear is gone, is this a solenoid or what? First gear/take off in drive is fast, tranmission just fails to go to next gear, will I damage the unit more by driving it down to my shop? Gonna get there opinion and problebly get a used one from one of the local salvage yards put in; my shop already got $2000 qoute to rebuild my existing unit; if only the intercooler hadn't blown!!!!!!!! When I cleaned out my pans and changed filter, the fluid in the bottom of the pain did stiink, what drained out over the next week was red; no metal chunks were found, just typical shavings on the magnet; cleaned it all out. Was hoping for the best but obviously got damage.

creeg
09/28/2012, 11:56 PM
cowboyerik,
here is my thread on a similar note.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23124

have you checked the transmission mode switch?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14031&highlight=mode+selector+switch

Mine is currently at the shop, I hope to have an answer sometime next week as to the status of mine.

Thanks
Craig

Y33TREKker
09/29/2012, 07:59 AM
You might try having the PCM codes read for any errors coming from the trans, or try the procedure in the downloadable manual in Section 7A - Test Driving.

Scott Larson
09/29/2012, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately that stink is burned clutchpack disks. It's time for a rebuild as they are most likely badly glazed. Sorry it couldn't be easily resuscitated...
:badhorse:

CowboyErik
09/30/2012, 07:19 PM
Yep, I think I toasted my clutch disks/packs the day the nite the intercooler blew and lost fluid; when I filled, I was amazed at how it gushed out of the drivers side of the radiator; new radiator from O'Reillys was a nice fit except for 1 bolt that didn't line up; easy fill and install with their new hoses; cheap; I contacted serveral salvage yards in the area with Isuzu Trooper II transmission on hand; dozens of them within 15mile radius from me starting at $250; $600 for one outta of a higher millage 2001 Vehicross; gonna find out if any of these salvage yards will do cheap installs but likely just going to use my local trusted shop and roll the bones that salvage yard tranny is "good" as they say, they all offer a guarantee but of course no labor warranty; gonna try LUCAS OIL Transmission slipping fix mixture tonite, was just gonna drain the main pan, filler up again, cycle gears and test drive again; wash it up tommorrow and put car covers on it to protect it from the elements until I decide what to buy and get my shop lined up! I think I found a place offering a "rebuild" for $1400 with free shipping, gonna call them, if so, may go that way; local tranny shop wants 2K to rebuild not including dropping/re-installing!