PDA

View Full Version : BFH work need to fit 18x8 Borbets with 265/60-18 -WITH SLIDERS!

VX KAT
09/25/2012, 08:55 PM
OK, I finally did it :freek:, I'm getting the Borbets. :clap:

I know several have done the trimming and BFH work to get 18x8s to fit with 265/60-18s.
I really want Toyo Open Country ATs in 265/60, and know they have a rather square shoulder,
So I guess it will take a little more bashing.
About how far back are you moving that bolt? Is it like 1/2" or what?

Think my slider will have to be cut back a bit (and capped)? Can see it's basically flush with the bolt head.
Any guidance would be most appreciated!

Anybody want to photochop any of these pics to tell me what needs done? Will make it a bit easier for my mechanic.

:thanx:...yet again, for all the help!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/FRONTWHEELWELLBOLTSLIDER.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSCN3019.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSCN3023.jpg

etlsport
09/26/2012, 04:27 AM
Sue what offset are the borbets? If the fit is anything like my 285s you will probably have to take about a half inch off the sliders. Ill try to get a photo of my wheel Wells

tom4bren
09/26/2012, 04:38 AM
Sue what offset are the borbets? If the fit is anything like my 285s you will poetically have to take about a half inch off the sliders. Ill try to get a photo of my wheel Wells

How can you be poetic when using a BFH & a sawsall???:):):)

Jay Dunford
09/26/2012, 05:15 AM
I just want to know what you're gonna bolt the Borbets to? Seems like you are missing some stuff in there!

vt_maverick
09/26/2012, 06:36 AM
Geez Sue you could just ask... no modification to the sliders required. I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors which also have a very squared edge and have had no problems.

etlsport
09/26/2012, 06:39 AM
How can you be poetic when using a BFH & a sawsall???:):):)

Fixed it. Damn autocorrect!

tom4bren
09/26/2012, 06:47 AM
Fixed it. Damn autocorrect!

ROFL

Poetic was workin for me ... just an interesting turn of a phrase!

VX KAT
09/26/2012, 09:09 AM
I just want to know what you're gonna bolt the Borbets to? Seems like you are missing some stuff in there!

What's missin' Jay :_thinking...
oh yeah....this..:cool:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_2010_F150_Raptor.jpg

Geez Sue you could just ask... no modification to the sliders required. I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors which also have a very squared edge and have had no problems.

I guess in my adrenaline fueled haze I forgot that. Looks like there could be some slight variation in positioning the sliders when installed. Looks like mine are maybe 1/8 - 1/4" more recessed than the bolt.

Can you estimate how far back we've got to pound that bolt?

Sue what offset are the borbets? If the fit is anything like my 285s you will probably have to take about a half inch off the sliders. Ill try to get a photo of my wheel Wells

they're -2. Same rims Ashley has.
I'm really wanting to go with a Toyo Open Country AT in 265/60
RAZ has the same Nittos, same size I have now on his Borbet rims. He has pics in his gallery. I'd love to know how much it took to fit them.

vt_maverick
09/26/2012, 10:30 AM
Can you estimate how far back we've got to pound that bolt?

Unfortunately I think that depends on production variances in our VX's. I only had to trim a tiny bit of cladding below that bolt on the driver's side but had to pound the crap out of it on the passenger side. Probably moved it back 1/8"-1/4". I would try replacing it with a pan head bolt first and then see how much more you need to knock it.

Y33TREKker
09/26/2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah, it's possible you may just be thinking worst case scenario KAT, because I run 265/60-18 Yokohama Geloanders A/S's on my CW3's and the only trimming I had to do was to the front bumper cladding. I DO get a slight bit of rubbing when turned full lock, but it's never been enough of an issue for me that I've felt it necessary to resort to the BFH. I'm still running stock heights front and rear too.

Nice score on the CW3's by the way. Forgot to mention that amidst all the other b.s. that happened in that other thread. If you ever find yourself in emergency need of a replacement, keep me in mind as I still have the spare VT hooked me up with awhile back.

tjh
09/26/2012, 04:15 PM
Sue, I had to remove about 3/8" off of the sliders on mine .

vt_maverick
09/26/2012, 05:58 PM
I still have another spare left from the set Trek and I split (beyond the spare I'm already using) too if you're interested Sue.

VX KAT
09/26/2012, 06:28 PM
I still have another spare left from the set Trek and I split (beyond the spare I'm already using) too if you're interested Sue.

Yeah, I'm interested....maybe I can talk Tom into carrying it to MOAB 2013, since we KNOW FO SHO HE'S COMING! Wonder if he has any more kids getting married?? :_thinking

tom4bren
09/27/2012, 04:35 AM
Only 2 out of our 6 are married. No more weddings planned ... but accidents do happen.:)

VxSport
09/27/2012, 05:47 AM
btw.... Thanks Kat for the rear tailgate knobs... received them. Hopefully I will get a chance to put them to use next week or so.
It looks like I am still missing two of the plastic brackets that the tailgate cover mounts to. I have never had our cover on before, the cover was in the back seat when we purchased our VX years ago.

tom4bren
09/27/2012, 06:09 AM
Since you are missing those, you'd be a prime candidate for the SBC conversion to the metal fasteners. If you want to stay OEM though, you can still order those parts from Merlin (or so I've heard).