PDA

View Full Version : Help with fitting Rear 6x9's

frankd14321
09/25/2012, 06:12 PM
So I have searched and found a FEW people that have managed to install 6x9 speakers in the back. The ones that I have found that have done it all seem to be inactive members (haven't logged in for over a year) So.. I am asking for help. I am putting 6x9's mainly because I got a Steal of a deal on two top end kenwoods.. Now, I have read that the only modification you need to do is to the brackets... Well I have sure torn up one so not much is left... Got the speaker mounted, but it doesn't quite go back far enough for the interior cover... the magnet hits the metal wall.

I found this photo... http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18970/ppuser/4278

Now I don't mind doing this, but wanted to hear to see if that HAS to be done.. Also if it does, what's the best way to do that? Hacksaw or grinder?

Thank you for any input.

Ldub
09/25/2012, 08:24 PM
Yeh...definitely a grinder...

K-mart hacksaws suck...:smilewink

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtCuupYDpD9jNeICc0Yh01YwP-u_9GjAaL7B6aVqrnWuP28lCvRO3IgQzN2g

OR...ya could just bash the skite outta it :smack:...till it fits...:luck:

frankd14321
09/25/2012, 08:32 PM
Haha. K ill use my grinder.. I actually am thinking to just mount it to the metal panel.. ill post results for people

Ldub
09/25/2012, 08:36 PM
I was think'n that a 4 pounder could easily bash that tin enough to clear the magnet...:_confused

And, since it doesn't show...:naughty:...:smack:...:yesgray:

Also, if you haven't seen this...http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14168

dietz99vcross
09/25/2012, 08:42 PM
That is way more cutting than I did for my 6x9's. Instead of cutting into the main wall, I just removed the bracket the original speakers were in and cut into these. I will see if I can dig up the pics and try posting them but times are kind of crazy right now.

VX KAT
09/25/2012, 08:59 PM
I think etlsport (Eric) did his rear speakers...I recall him giving me an overview when I was considering replacing them....maybe ask him.

VxSport
09/25/2012, 09:01 PM
It is possible... sorry I don't have any pics either. two years ago I installed Sony low profile 6x9 in the back. I didn't have as much problem with magnet, just had to open it way up for the 6x9.
Before I had those, I had installed the sony 5x8 (dash speaker) in there.

Sorry... they have since been removed to make room for my future roll bar, which will go down thru that speaker opening.

etlsport
09/26/2012, 04:23 AM
There is a piece of plastic on the back of the speaker grille that gave me problems i had to cut it off. After doing that and reangling the speaker bracket i didn't have to cut the body at all.

evillecutter
09/26/2012, 06:15 AM
i didnt like the sound of those rear speakers no matter what i put in there so i just took them out and got some 3 way truck speakers for the back behind the rear seats - easy to take out if you need to and no need for amplification - sounds great

frankd14321
09/26/2012, 11:00 AM
Thank you everyone for the great feedback.

evillecutter: I already have tested them out and I like the sound. But thank you for the suggestion

Etlsport: Ya I noticed that and cut that off already (strange how you can just remove it without cutting)

dietz99vcross: You didn't have to modify the metal wall at all? The speaker fit into the stock brakets as I modified it plenty to fit. But like I said the speaker can't go back far enough for the plastic cladding to fit back on.

Ldub: Ya I saw that post, but since those are just 6 1/2's he doesn't seem to have as large as a magnet.

Again thank you everyone, I'm going to mess with it again today after work.. I don't see myself cutting as much as the photo I posted but I just can't see how I can NOT cut at all. Anybody with photos would be MUCH appreciated.

pbkid
09/26/2012, 11:53 AM
Kenwoods are notoriously deep speakers. Fyi, the best way to do cutting on that thin sheet metal is with an airsaw. They usually cut the cleanest. Plus easier to make your hole round

frankd14321
09/26/2012, 12:33 PM
Oh duh! Thank you pbkid! I have one too lol.. i'll be using that.

dietz99vcross
09/26/2012, 07:10 PM
I have cerwin vega 6x9's they came with a small adapter ring that brings them out about 1/2 inch. this gave me room for magnet travel in the rear and still enough room in front for the cladding to go back on. This might be the difference for me to not have to cut into the sidewall.

frankd14321
09/26/2012, 08:17 PM
I ended up mounting the speaker directly on the metal body of the car.. everything works perfect and the sound is amazing.. gonna do the other side next week.