PDA

View Full Version : Need pics of actual VX engine mounts plz...

SilverBullet75
09/25/2012, 03:37 PM
Hi,
I ordered a set of motor mounts from Rockauto.com. They arrived quickly, but I'm really not confident that they are correct.
One side (L) looks ok, but the other (R) looks completely wrong. I have not taken the VX apart yet. I've only looked at the mounts from the engine compartment. Both of the VX mounts look the same... just flipped.

If anyone could post a pic or 2 of what the real VX mounts look like, I'd much appreciate it!

Thank you!
---JIM---

Ldub
09/25/2012, 04:41 PM
It's a long shot, but try pm'ing Gill (NocturnalVX), I'm pretty sure that he's had his M-M's replaced...:luck:

But as long as their being swapp'd out...why not have solid mounts fabb'd up...:naughty:...:smilewink

SilverBullet75
09/25/2012, 08:35 PM
Solid, as in Polyurethane bushings, or just solid steel?

Ldub
09/25/2012, 08:39 PM
Solid, as in Polyurethane bushings, or just solid steel?

SOLID...as in SOLID...:yes:

Problem solved...problem staying solved.

Of course you trade off creature comfort, but hey...whaddyagonna do?...:smilewink

SilverBullet75
09/26/2012, 12:46 PM
That's the problem... I'm trying to get rid of the vibration and banging caused by the bad mounts. I like the creature comforts!
LOL
:)

SilverBullet75
09/26/2012, 07:34 PM
For reference, here are internet pics of the mounts that I received.

Left Side (which I think is ok)
http://cdn0.autopartsnetwork.com/images/catalog/brand/beck-arnley/640/BA1041466-1.jpg

Right side (I think this one is wrong):
http://cdn1.autopartsnetwork.com/images/catalog/wp/full/W01331911956DEA.JPG

This is the Isuzu parts diagram (doesn't help much...):
http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/4/4628160.gif

yellowgizmo99
09/27/2012, 06:02 AM
I''ll look today when get home, have extra set in parts box.

givegodachance
09/27/2012, 08:06 AM
I have two motors out and in my garage. I'm putting one in today or tomorrow so I will look then if you don't have an answer by then

SilverBullet75
09/27/2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys!

givegodachance
09/27/2012, 05:53 PM
Man I'm sorry. I forgot about checking on that for you. I have so much to do after work and I won't be able to go to the garage til Saturday. Have you figured that out yet?

SilverBullet75
09/27/2012, 07:09 PM
No, not yet.

yellowgizmo99
09/28/2012, 12:07 PM
Jim, looked at the ones I have and they both look like the left one, the right side has RH on it.

nocturnalVX
09/28/2012, 01:06 PM
I sent you a P.M. about the motor mounts I got from Merlin, and I just want to say that for anyone else looking to replace theirs... go for it. The new ones were beefier than the originals, so ISUZU must have tweeked them a bit. Or... go Dub's route & never worry about them going bad again!

SilverBullet75
09/28/2012, 08:08 PM
Jim, looked at the ones I have and they both look like the left one, the right side has RH on it.
Thank you!!
I was going to dive into it tomorrow, exploratory style.
You saved me a lot of cussing.

I sent you a P.M. about the motor mounts I got from Merlin, and I just want to say that for anyone else looking to replace theirs... go for it. The new ones were beefier than the originals, so ISUZU must have tweeked them a bit. Or... go Dub's route & never worry about them going bad again!

Thanks Gill!
I called Merlin the other day. He showed that the two were different part numbers, but couldn't physically look at them because they are out of stock... in fact, ISUZU is out of stock. They are on back order.... for a long time.
So, I need to look for a right hand one now.

Mystery solved. Hope this thread helps someone else too.
Lesson learned: Do NOT buy the one that parts places sell like the right hand one in the pic above.

Thank you!
---JIM---

SilverBullet75
09/29/2012, 07:43 PM
I just spent a bunch of time under the VX looking and trying to figure how to pull the old ones out.
From what I can SEE, the left looks identical to the right side. But I now have the part numbers from Isuzu, and they are different numbers.
But, when I google the numbers, it gives me the mounts for the 95 Rodeo, which are not the same as VX, but are the same as the diagram.
So this tells me the diagram from Isuzu is not correct!
They may not have wanted to change the diagram for a difference in motor mounts between vehicles.

I'm considering trying exploratory surgery to see if the left mount will fit on the right.

yellowgizmo99
09/29/2012, 08:27 PM
the only difference I see was one has RH and the other has LH on it, at least on the ones I have which are originals.

PK
09/29/2012, 09:45 PM
Please be very careful here.
Not even Isuzu is silly enough to mark them with different part numbers when they could be identical.
The cost of adding an item to inventory stocks and then distributing it worldwide, are very high.

Even if they look identical, the rubber compound might be different.
Remember the loads on each mount are different.

Static loads would be around the same, and the dynamic loads from vehicle movement would be about the same.
But the loads from the torque of the engine are opposite.
One mount has the torque loads trying to twist down on it.
The other side has the torque loads trying to lift it.

You might get away with putting two LH units in, and they might last 3 months, or 3 years, but if it was meant to be a different compound, eventually it will fail prematurely.

PK

SilverBullet75
09/29/2012, 10:08 PM
PK,
You make a good point.
For right now, I'm at a point where I just need it fixed enough to survive for about a year... cheaply.
I'll be doing an LS swap after I pay off the VX in February.
Even used ones would be ok at this point.
If I can find the proper one for the right side, I'll definitely go that route though.
Thanks!

SilverBullet75
09/29/2012, 10:49 PM
Ahhhh... I just found that Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EMPY8G/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A1SRIMM98D0QL7) sells what looks to be the correct design for the right side mount!
They are made by an aftermarket company called Westar.
I'm going to order just the Right side, and keep the left side (DEA brand) that I already bought. The DEA mount was much cheaper (1/2 price).
The distributor for Amazon has 20 of them in stock.
I just tried searching for other sources for this Westar mount... there are none! Looks like they have the last batch.

BTW...
Here are the part numbers

Isuzu OEM:
Left Motor Mount:
Right Motor Mount:

(Aftermarket) Westar Motor Mounts:
Left
1028AMZ1935
Right
1028AMZ1934

Man... I hope this helps the next person... This was a PITA!
LOL
:yesgray:

89Vette
09/29/2012, 11:58 PM
I'll be doing an LS swap after I pay off the VX in February.

Is yours totally broken? I assume you have to pull the motor to get at them. Seems like a lot of work to do it again in a year...or two.

SilverBullet75
09/30/2012, 07:22 PM
Yes, they are both toast. I can put a screwdriver into the mount and easily shift the engine side to side. There is a lot of vibration, shaking, and banging.
From what I can see, I can reach the mount bolts from the wheel wells. Remove the bolts, jack up the engine a little, swap the mounts...bolt them back up. Done.
In theory....

SilverBullet75
10/01/2012, 01:26 PM
Just received this email from the supplier for Amazon:

"Our warehouse has notified us that the inventory in our system for this part was inaccurate and was wrong. We do not have these on the shelf and have pulled our offering on amazon. We will need to cancel the order which will be 100% refunded. "

ARGGGH.
:upsetgray

Back to square 1.

yellowgizmo99
10/01/2012, 06:43 PM
Jim shoot me a PM with address and you can have them for $20 plus shipping if you need them to work for a year or two.

SilverBullet75
10/08/2012, 01:25 PM
New Mounts are installed!
... with some collateral damage fixed.

Both engine mounts were broken away from their metal bases, and the transmission mount was broken (replaced 2 wks ago). Exhaust was being strained enough to break the muffler at the pipe entrance to the muffler. Exhaust was sitting on the trans-cross-member...

ALL fixed and welded.

Took all of Saturday. It's not that difficult of a job, just time consuming and physically painful if you don't pull the motor. Your hands get very bruised in the confined spaces. I ended up buying Yellowgizmo's old mounts (thanks Billy!) for piece of mind, AND bought new mounts (installed).

Some tips for those attempting this:
Tools needed: 14mm, 12mm wratchet/sockets with extensions. 10mm small box end wrench.

Wheels off.
Jack up/jack stand the front end... high!
All bolts are accessible from inside the wheel wells or under the VX.

Remove each mount bracket from the engine (4 bolts per mount) and 2 bolts each that hold the mount to the chassis (accessible from wheel well or under the hood with a long extension for ratchet).

Driver's side... release and move the wire looms attached by plastic clips to a sheet metal piece. Remove the sheet metal (10mm bolt).

Passenger's side... remove the 2 metal transmission line mounts. Use bungee cord to pull the trans lines out of the way (to the right).

You'll have to pull the mount assy's loose from the engine, then jack the motor up slowly about 3-4 inches.
Once it's lifted, you can maneuver and twist the mount until the inner 2 studs/nuts are accessible. Remove these. The mount assembly separates into multiple pieces.
Note their order.
Drop out the piece with the rubber block.
Swap the new one in.
Maneuver it in.
Bolt it to the assembly.
Rinse...repeat.

Be prepared for bruised and torn-up hands.

The end-result is well worth it. It drives and feels 10's of thousands of miles younger now. :D

yellowgizmo99
10/08/2012, 01:54 PM
great to hear you got it done.

Ldub
10/08/2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the VXinfo...from parts to procedure...:_wrench:..:thumbup:

FWIW...most things that bloody & bruise your hands, and to a lesser extent, other parts of your body, are always a very satisfying endeavor.

The $avings gained by doing it your$self...icing on the cake.

Getting closer to your ride, by fondling her nether regions...BONUS icing...:_wrench:..:dance:

dub shuffles off to add this to his "to do someday" list...

SilverBullet75
10/08/2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks Dub!

I wish I had done this during the Diff Drop install.

It would have been MUCH easier to do while the front axle was out.
Oh well...