PDA

View Full Version : Did you guys watch MNF? Dude...

vt_maverick
09/24/2012, 10:04 PM
Been mesmerized by SportsCenter for the last hour, it's hard to believe what I just saw.

djvx
09/24/2012, 11:22 PM
yes, and as a lifelong Packers fan living in WI all my life I can say this loss in a somewhat meaningless game hurts more than any other. Because Green Bay didn't lose, it was taken away in such an obvious manner. Would be quite different had it not been so easy to see but it clearly was an interception and not a TD.

VXR
09/25/2012, 12:39 AM
Been mesmerized by SportsCenter for the last hour, it's hard to believe what I just saw.

Watch SB XL and you will understand :yesb:

BigSwede
09/25/2012, 06:38 AM
The NFL gambled that they wouldn't be embarrassed too much by the replacement officials...and lost. They might as well get officials from the WWE.

VXorado
09/25/2012, 08:19 AM
At this point they might as well not have officials. Just booth review every play ;wtf;

MNF was hopefully the straw that broke the camels back...

Vendetta
09/25/2012, 08:49 AM
MNF was hopefully the straw that broke the camels back...

'Cause the Steelers' hit on Darrius Heyward-Bey almost broke his.

It's a dangerous sport, fine. It's a mostly-controlled danger when the refs are doing their jobs. But this is more like... chaos.

circmand
09/25/2012, 09:35 AM
as soon as the regular refs are back everyone starts harping on all the mistakes they make. The sports announcers are making a big deal about every blown call. The NFL did not allow that with the regular refs. As for the Steeler hit it was clean in my opinion. He hit the guy in the chest 1st and the receivers head snapped forward for a helmet to helmet collision. As for the Bellichek fiasco he is pissed he can't cheat anymore. And when it was reveiwed the call was correct. Both sides aren't talking so it is an opinion this is a 3 million dollar difference. It is guaranteed pention money that will keep increasing every contract negotiation as well as the NFL being able to get rid of poor performing refs.

Vendetta
09/25/2012, 09:47 AM
I'm not saying it wasn't a clean hit, but rather that the players are more likely to stretch what seem like the increasingly elastic limits under the current refs. In other words, even it IF it was clean, it was still gratuitously violent because the players are testing those limits. And I believe that's dangerous.

As for the "regular" refs, well they had to start somewhere too, right? Sure, maybe not all at once, but still. I'll stop there before I make any union enemies. :laughgray

-V

VXD959
09/25/2012, 12:01 PM
There are blown calls in almost every sport: baseball, soccer, basketball, boxing, tennis, etc. It happens all the time, even to the best experienced refs. After all they are all humans (unless you want them to stop the clock 10,000 times to watch replays). I don't see the big deal, unless the incompetency is too obvious to ignore. However, most of the time (90%-95%) the calls are probably fair.

Now we have all kind of instant replays in sports (in my opinion, replays should be used only in games that matter). I watched the game yesterday and witnessed all the media "circus". The Packers did not lose the game on that last play. If you want to win a game, you have to win it convincinly. Otherwise you are exposed to close calls and/or bad fortune. That goes to any team and can go either way.

I personally don't think (as many of the ESPN commentors said yesterday) that the game is suffering because of this. I can only agree if there is a safety issue and players are being hurt. Or if you think that the refs are "sold" and favoring a specific team.

I don't see any of the "winning teams or players" complaining...Only the losers.

By the way, I think that the ESPN commentators after the game last night were very wrong (excuse Mr. Steve Young. Your emotions took over a rational and objective assessment of the matter - Hopefully you did not have any money on this game). I even think that the Packers handled the situation very professionally during the after-game interview: yes, very pissed off, but not commenting on the calls.

VXD959
09/25/2012, 12:09 PM
NEW YORK – The NFL has upheld the Seahawks' 14-12 win over the Green Bay Packers on Monday Night Football.

The league said in a statement Tuesday that Seattle's last-second touchdown pass should not have been overturned.

The NFL says Seahawks receiver Golden Tate should have been called for offensive pass interference before the catch, which would have clinched a Packers victory, but that cannot be reviewed by instant replay.

The replacement officials ruled on the field that Tate had simultaneous possession with Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, which counts as a reception. The NFL says that once that happened, the referee was correct that no indisputable visual evidence existed on review to overturn the touchdown call.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/25/nfl-upholds-seahawks-disputed-win-over-packers/#ixzz27Vh4josu

Rampage108
09/25/2012, 12:12 PM
I disagree. The refs had an obvious bad call earlier in game leading to the packers getting a td. But everyone forgets to mention that one. Not a good win but still a hawk win

Y33TREKker
09/25/2012, 12:21 PM
Since it seems that it's not only sports commentators complaining about the replacement refs, but many regular news program hosts too, blaming these replacement refs SO MUCH is starting to look like a dodge being created by the big-business side of the NFL.

Seems like another union-busting episode in the history of U.S. business in my opinion, because we are talking about a mutli-billion dollar a year industry after all.

With so much responsibility resting on the shoulders of the regular NFL refs, a normal person could reasonably come to the conclusion that that responsibility was worth relative compensation, but instead, the owners in the NFL seem to want to do the same thing as the example we have with the modern airline industry where pilots with such huge responsibilities are asked by their employers to accept salaries totaling $20k or so per year.

Well I don't know about you, but I'd rather my pilots on commercial flights not be stressed about how they're going to pay their monthly bills because their bosses are greedy while my life is in their hands. Granted, my life isn't at stake dependent on the calls NFL reps make, but there are obviously a lot of people (Like NFL team coaches) who DO get overly dramatic about some of those calls, so if this situation is that important to those people, they should be directing their anger where it really belongs, greedy NFL owners.

circmand
09/25/2012, 12:38 PM
Since it seems that it's not only sports commentators complaining about the replacement refs, but many regular news program hosts too, blaming these replacement refs SO MUCH is starting to look like a dodge being created by the big-business side of the NFL.

Seems like another union-busting episode in the history of U.S. business in my opinion, because we are talking about a mutli-billion dollar a year industry after all.

With so much responsibility resting on the shoulders of the regular NFL refs, a normal person could reasonably come to the conclusion that that responsibility was worth relative compensation, but instead, the owners in the NFL seem to want to do the same thing as the example we have with the modern airline industry where pilots with such huge responsibilities are asked by their employers to accept salaries totaling $20k or so per year.

Well I don't know about you, but I'd rather my pilots on commercial flights not be stressed about how they're going to pay their monthly bills because their bosses are greedy while my life is in their hands. Granted, my life isn't at stake dependent on the calls NFL reps make, but there are obviously a lot of people (Like NFL team coaches) who DO get overly dramatic about some of those calls, so if this situation is that important to those people, they should be directing their anger where it really belongs, greedy NFL owners.

The average Captain of an airline gets $15,000 a month more or less depending on the airline. Thats is an average of $180,000 a year. Fair enough considering the responsibility. The pay scale of an NFL Referee is $25000 to $75000 a year (non playoff season) fair enough for working 16 days a year plus training.

BigSwede
09/25/2012, 12:46 PM
It was clear and indisputable that it was not simultaneous possession. The defender had the ball wrapped in both arms against his chest when his butt hit the ground. That is possession. The receiver was behind him and didn't even get both hands on the ball until they were both on the ground.

Triathlete
09/25/2012, 12:49 PM
It's a GAME! Yes, the obvious blundered calls suck but at the end of it all my life goes on unchanged. :)

VXD959
09/25/2012, 12:53 PM
I think is the end of world for the NFL...the owners are coursed!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cowboys-com-now-gay-dating-151057232--nfl.html

JoFotoz
09/25/2012, 01:43 PM
Yup...Tate fouled...but cant be reviewed.
But Green Bay had their fair share of "good" calls during the game too.

Yup...the catch looked iffy...so it gets reviewed...
The reviews are still being done by the same "Pro" guys that serve the real refs......
....and they upheld the call on the field call.

Arent they to blame too....???

And hey...why didnt Jennings just swat the ball away instead of trying to catch it???

Hail Mary 101..SWAT

Go Chargers :eek:

Jo

evillecutter
09/25/2012, 01:54 PM
i read a book one time written by a MLB unpire and it was eye opening how much bribery/threatening goes on with these guys - free meals, hookers, paid bar tabs, and close friends/fellow umps getting knifed at gas stations after the games when the home team loses - plus, you are more likely to actually play a professional sport than be an umpire or referee at the professional level

Triathlete
09/25/2012, 01:58 PM
i read a book one time written by a MLB unpire and it was eye opening how much bribery/threatening goes on with these guys - free meals, hookers, paid bar tabs, and close friends/fellow umps getting knifed at gas stations after the games when the home team loses

Not nearly as bad as being a Columbian soccer player...

...and scoring the winning goal...

...for the wrong team! :)

evillecutter
09/25/2012, 02:00 PM
Not nearly as bad as being a Columbian soccer player...

...and scoring the winning goal...

...for the wrong team! :)

yup those fans bring grenades

VXR
09/25/2012, 02:28 PM
It was clear and indisputable that it was not simultaneous possession. The defender had the ball wrapped in both arms against his chest when his butt hit the ground. That is possession. The receiver was behind him and didn't even get both hands on the ball until they were both on the ground.

The refs got the call wrong on the field. The replay officials were by rule not allowed to overturn the simultaneous possession call on the field.

Triathlete
09/25/2012, 02:35 PM
yup those fans bring grenades

The person I refered to was executed in by assailants in his home town!

Ldub
09/25/2012, 05:36 PM
umps getting knifed at gas stations after the games when the home team loses -

Ref..."note to self"...

Gas up on the way TO work...:laughing:

As Bobby's momma always says..."dat FOOSbawl, it's the DEVIL!".:evil:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma9l19LceS1ro6j75.jpg

Vendetta
09/25/2012, 05:52 PM
The person I refered to was executed in by assailants in his home town!

Last thing he heard was "thanks for the auto-goal" - in his local dialect, I presume.

Rough crowd, yeah.

JoFotoz
09/25/2012, 06:43 PM
Yup...ya can argue the refs on the field got the call wrong...

The refs got the call wrong on the field. The replay officials were by rule not allowed to overturn the simultaneous possession call on the field.

...But, the replay officials ( again.....the same ones the "REAL" refs use)..
.... CAN ..BY RULE...overturn...if they didnt see simultaneous possesion...AT THE POINT OF CATCH.

(NO..Tate/pass interference cant be reviewed...and IMO..that was the REAL MISTAKE)

And once the call is made on the field......the "Evidence" needs to be heavily in favor...
....in order to over turn.

But what call was actually made?

Two refs/umps.....calling two different things...:eek:

No doubt its a cluster ph!ck...

But ya can argue that Green Bay got a TD.... cause refs messed up too.

Bottom line IMO......wait 13 more games and lets see if it REALLY matters.

jo

vt_maverick
09/25/2012, 06:46 PM
Wow I can't believe I typed a whole post to see it erased by the f***-ing hotel WiFi wanting a re-up (that's free). :mad:

I'll summarize: replacement refs are worse than regular refs, you're high if you think otherwise. ESPN criticizes bad calls regardless of who the refs are, if you don't think so you're high. I think this incident reflects more poorly on the NFL front office than on the refs union but I doubt it'll speed the negotiations.

The Packers' offensive line play in the first half was the largest contributing factor to their loss, not any blown call. There were bad calls in both directions that may have contributed to a loss for either team, but the final call was incorrect and did decide the outcome of the game. Hopefully we can get the regular refs back by the playoffs so these two teams have another shot at a more accurately officiated outcome.

Golden Tate is a jackass. There was no need to lie about the blatant offensive pass interference because the league wasn't going to change the outcome anyway, so why lie on national TV? Just tell the truth, you knew it probably wouldn't be called so you took a risk. Same thing for Pete Carroll; why the need to say you thought it was a great call? Just say it was a crazy ending and you're glad you got the W after your team's tough play. Classless.

Ldub
09/25/2012, 08:16 PM
Bottom line IMO......wait 13 more games and lets see if it REALLY matters.

jo

Sorry Bro Jo...but NONE of it "matters"

Not in el schemo de grande...:laughing:

It's just a game, played by folks (not ALL, but a HIGH percentage, that would otherwise be in a nice cell somewhere) that causes people to care about ...well, stuff that doesn't really matter.

djvx
09/25/2012, 08:45 PM
Watch SB XL and you will understand :yesb:
yeah thats too bad, guess the hawks should get into more superbowls.

VXR
09/25/2012, 08:53 PM
the hawks should get into more superbowls.

Don't you worry they will:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8347893/the-new-quarterbacks-league

GO HAWKS!!!