PDA

View Full Version : skid plates

givegodachance
09/18/2012, 11:01 AM
Where can I find these skid plates I seen on the wildtoys.com page. It said vehicross concepts but it don't lead me anywhere. Has anyone else seen these things. I know they are only for looks but I get some I may be able to reproduce some at work out of steel

VX KAT
09/18/2012, 11:10 AM
* FIRST AND FOREMOST.....NOTE THESE SKIDS ARE COSMETIC ONLY

HISTORY - FRONT AND REAR SKID PLATE:
PLASTIC/ABS/FIBERGLASS SKIDS -FRONT & REAR

Rudy (screen name "RON") in Southern California, owned a VX when he created the molds and sold both front and rear skids, made of ABS plastic. An owner in Japan purchased 10 front skidplates for the group in Japan. Unfortunately, he had alterior motives to use one of Ron's plates for fiberglass molding purposes and changed the vent detail a bit.
He then made several dups to sell to the owners in Japan without Ron's consent or knowledge.

Ron continued to sell them for a few years back in the early days, (2004+) and somehow, got really behind, and was very slow to make them, some people waited over a year. He eventually sold his VX, had family commitments, and all production stopped.

Interestingly, in the past year or two, he bought another VX and has posted on the forum from time to time.

Next chapter: About 3 yrs ago (2009), "Rowhard" (John) somehow bought the front and rear molds from somebody in Kuwait (don't know who) but when the molds arrived the rear one was not usable for some reason. So Rowhard has been making the front only, he makes them out of fiberglass.

Then, last November (2010), a former VX owner in Florida cleaned out his garage of a bunch of misc VX parts. ..one of the items he had was the original front and rear skids plates...I was lucky enough to read his post minutes after he posted it and grabbed them! He didn't want to ship, but again I was lucky as my brother lives within a few miles of him, so he dropped them off a bro's and bro got them shipped to me. Wahoo!

Rowhard (John) contacted me right away and asked if I'd loan him the rear skid so HE COULD MAKE A MOLD OF THE REAR.....once he gets a mold, he can start making them.
So I shipped off both ABS skids to Rowhard. Now all VXers can buy the rear skid.
In return for my favor, he painted mine the color I wanted (that's why I shipped both to him).
So you can contact Rowhard (John) about ordering a front and rear skid. He does have a price sheet and ordering info on the forum under "Accessories", on the left column.
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Classified&file=viewarticle&id=31

So note that Rudy (Ron) made his skids from ABS plastic, whereas Rowhard makes his from FIBERGLASS. You'll often hear people say "my Ron skid plates"....that obviously means they came from Ron at some point in the past. I don't know if there's any real difference in the ABS vs Fiberglass as far as performance or durability etc.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_6646.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_6313.JPG

vt_maverick
09/18/2012, 11:23 AM
The front & rear skids were only in Japan originally. Rudy (screen name "RON") who lives in Southern California, owned a VX and created molds and sold both front and rear skids, made of ABS plastic.

IIRC Rudy sold one of his to a guy in Japan who then copied and sold them as his own. If that's correct hopefully Rudy doesn't see this. :)

vt_maverick
09/18/2012, 11:24 AM
Here you go...

Yes, John basically has it right. Naoki had purchased 10 front skidplates for the group in Japan which I shipped to him a few months later. Unfortunately, he had alterior motives to use one of my plates for fiberglass molding purposes and changed the vent detail a bit. Then made several dups to sell to the owners in Japan without my consent or knowledge til it was too late. I had confronted him about it but it was never really acknowledged nor corrected.

vt_maverick
09/18/2012, 11:28 AM
Or you can go paint match like this:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3282/DSC01100.JPG

Although with an Astral it will look more like this:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/102_0891.JPG

pbkid
09/18/2012, 11:41 AM
Or you can go paint match like this:

now youre just showing off ashley....

VX KAT
09/18/2012, 12:34 PM
IIRC Rudy sold one of his to a guy in Japan who then copied and sold them as his own. If that's correct hopefully Rudy doesn't see this. :)

OK Mav, I've edited my post, go proof it since you've become my proof reader on content of late....;)

vt_maverick
09/18/2012, 12:37 PM
Nah most of your posts are too long for me to proof read. :p Just didn't want Rudy to get spun up.

Triathlete
09/18/2012, 12:44 PM
I think they should rename them " front and rear COSMEDIC plates" since that is technicly what they are. Then there would be no confussion between these and real skid plates. :)

vt_maverick
09/18/2012, 01:24 PM
I will not prove Sue right about proof reading...

By that standard we should start calling the backseat the "Optional Rear Carpet Protector." ;)

Triathlete
09/18/2012, 03:02 PM

By that standard we should start calling the backseat the "Optional Rear Carpet Protector." ;)

Nope...my rear seat has a$$prints in it.
Though it will become a two seater eventually! :)

whitebreadx
09/18/2012, 03:12 PM
Lol: )

pbkid
09/18/2012, 05:37 PM
I think they should rename them " front and rear COSMEDIC plates" since that is technicly what they are. Then there would be no confussion between these and real skid plates. :)

if we are all proof-reading, cosmetic is with a T ;)

VX KAT
09/18/2012, 05:56 PM
if we are all proof-reading, cosmetic is with a T ;)

no,no, it has to be on CONTENT only...otherwise it would be about 1/2 the posts here...:freek: DEFINITELY! :laugho:

I know, I know.... I'll take care of it....:slap:

VXorado
09/18/2012, 06:51 PM

I agree with Billy on this one...

It's like calling an iPod touch, an iPhone. The iPod touch looks like an iPhone but can't make calls. :p

tom4bren
09/19/2012, 05:22 AM
All Y'all need to get in touch with reality. The only 2 important questions are:

1. Where do I put my soda when I'm driving?

2. What color is the hood insert?

Scott Larson
09/19/2012, 11:29 AM
Well technically it is cosmetic, just so there is no confusion...:rotate: