PDA

View Full Version : Tune up

karrijp
09/14/2012, 08:36 AM
I don't think my VX has had a tune up in a while. What would you guys recommend for plugs, wires, etc. Do you recommend new coil packs as well? It seems a little sluggish. I thought it would have more take off power than what it does. I understand they are low geared, it just seems to really lug down when you are trying to acclerate.

tom4bren
09/14/2012, 10:50 AM
We don't have plug wires (coil packs mounted directly to plugs).

No need to replace coil packs unless you are getting a misfire CEL code.

Plugs & fuel filter are your best tune up bet for increased throttle response.

karrijp
09/14/2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks! I'm not a mechanic as you can tell. Just want it to be right:p This is the first vehicle I have EVER gotten excited about owning. I have big dreams for my fishing trips now!

VxSport
09/14/2012, 12:58 PM
Inspect the air filter too.. invest in a k&n filter for better perforance.

blacksambo
09/14/2012, 08:59 PM
I don't know about replacing plugs, mine has 158K on the original plugs, and no misfiring yet?? ( I know this sounds spooky, but as far as I know it's true.) My NAPA guy told me to forget plugs, he used work at a BMW dealer and the cars came in there with 130k plus all the time with the original plugs and no misfires. Take it from there.

VxSport
09/15/2012, 05:31 PM
This is just my thoughts.... To not replace spark plugs until the code goes off, it seems like waiting for problems to arise. A few months ago I replaced the factory plugs in our Avalanche (140K), I should have done it at 100K. Now the truck was driving a little slow (but not bad), no codes were going off. 2 of the plugs were fouled (one really bad). After changing the plugs, fuel economy went up by 3.2 Mpg.

Just my opions out loud.

ZeroSix
09/16/2012, 01:54 PM
just as a new VX owner: watch your oil levels; sluggishness and bad milage comes from low oil too.

Just general Question: is there a larger oil filter that would fit our car?

Vendetta
09/16/2012, 01:58 PM
Isn't there some voodoo in our OEM plugs? Thought I read about issues if swapping with another kind. Consider when changing. Enjoy your ride, glad to see the excitement. It's contagious!

blacksambo
09/16/2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, wisdom says stick to OEM plugs for best results, per Merlin (he's kinda magic).

Cobrajet
09/16/2012, 07:47 PM
Just general Question: is there a larger oil filter that would fit our car?
The Mobil1 book calls for an M1-104 oil filter, but I have used a slightly longer M1-106 filter on my VX. Not sure about other brands since I never used any other brand.

89Vette
09/16/2012, 07:56 PM
In past 4x4's, I've had good luck with valve cleaning to combat lack of responsiveness. I'm thinking of trying seafoam thru the intake. (Before now, I used to have tune-up shops de-carbon the valves.) This was usually good for 1-2mpg and snappier exceleration. (Part-throttle anyway)

Injector cleaning (or replacement) is another possibility. I actually have a set of cleaned injectors that I tested. I also have a set from a 40k unit that I'm running for comparison. Seem pretty equal -- and about 1mpg better than before.

I should probably sell one of those sets in the near future.

I think 100k is about the most you should push an OEM set of plugs. They'll still work but I wouldn't count on 100% performance.

tom4bren
09/17/2012, 05:23 AM
Inspect the air filter too.. invest in a k&n filter for better perforance.

Use the search function to read up on this before you invest. Many members have switched back from K&N because of fouling the MAF. Others still swear by them though.

I don't know about replacing plugs, mine has 158K on the original plugs, and no misfiring yet?? ( I know this sounds spooky, but as far as I know it's true.) My NAPA guy told me to forget plugs, he used work at a BMW dealer and the cars came in there with 130k plus all the time with the original plugs and no misfires. Take it from there.

Yah, I'm not a big fan of changing out the plugs either ... unless there is a problem. In the Samurai I had years ago, I never changed the plugs & at 225K miles, it started running really bad. I pulled the plugs & found that although they were in pretty good shape, the gap was about 60 (twice what it should have been). The replacement plugs lasted about 20K miles. I regapped the original plugs & put them back in for the remaining 50K miles that I had it.

On the other hand ... with electronic ignition, bad plugs CAN cause upstream problems if left in too long. Basically, if the plug is bad enough, the coil can stay charged up all the time & never get discharged. Coils don't like that.

Lizardmen3477
09/17/2012, 05:45 AM
I havent crawled under their yet but also havent fount it on the net, But where is the Fuel filter on our trucks? Is it easy to replace? I think its been along tmie since mines been changed and shes been running bad.

blacksambo
09/17/2012, 05:47 AM
Yah, I'm not a big fan of changing out the plugs either ... unless there is a problem. In the Samurai I had years ago, I never changed the plugs & at 225K miles, it started running really bad. I pulled the plugs & found that although they were in pretty good shape, the gap was about 60 (twice what it should have been). The replacement plugs lasted about 20K miles. I regapped the original plugs & put them back in for the remaining 50K miles that I had it.

On the other hand ... with electronic ignition, bad plugs CAN cause upstream problems if left in too long. Basically, if the plug is bad enough, the coil can stay charged up all the time & never get discharged. Coils don't like that.[/QUOTE]

Let's hear it for recycling!

evillecutter
09/17/2012, 06:16 AM
any car i have ever bought i pour a can of sea foam in the gas tank, change the oil/filter, check the spark plugs and change if needed, make sure the battery has a good connection and is clean, and then change the fuel filter when the tank of gas is gone - pretty standard

blacksambo
09/20/2012, 07:59 PM
Maybe one should consider changing out the oxygen sensors as a tune up? Or maybe, switching from standard to synthetic lubricants (yes, mileage increases are possible). And that means everything, including the transfer case etc.. Also, revising camber and toe-in for optimal mileage performance? Just some random thoughts. Hope it helps.

HeckaTrebeka
09/21/2012, 09:30 AM
Has the timing belt ever been changed? Check/change that ASAP. Take it to a mechanic for your next oil change and they'll perform a free multi-point inspection to make sure there aren't any seals leaking.

That's my two cents.