PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some issues with my VX

jheyson =)
09/13/2012, 08:51 PM
Hello VX family,

My name is Jheyson. i own a 2000 proton, with i bought in 2010. Currently,It has 112 000 mile on it. This is my first car ,and i would like to keep it forever. It is my daily drive to go to the University, with is 5 minutes from the place I live...no highways ...my school is just around the corner.

I need your helpppppp !!!! Any imput would be really appreciated

First issue>>>This issue started one month ago.When I put the car in the ignition and turn the key, the car does not start. I can hear that the car is trying to activate ,but every time i turn the key on , I hear a puff sound because the car does not connect or something. Sometimes , It starts but it it is too weak to keep running and it dies again. It like if you plug the cord of the TV to the outlet ,and suddenly you unplugged it(graphic example). After many tries the car runs.I am not sure what is causing this ,but my mechanic told me that it could be the ignition cylinder lock ,which is where you put the key. He checked the battery ,and it seems to be ok. He replaced the battery 6 months ago. Everytime that i want to start the car now, i have to try at least 12 times to get the engine running.

Second issue>>>>This happened around 1 month ago,too. When I am driving suddenly the vx, something bad happens. When I press the gas , the RPM goes up really fast ,and my velocity slows down. I press again bass and the RPM goes up but the velocity doesn't. I will give you an example........for example ...put the car in neutral and press the gas......or ...put your car in park and press gas......the RPM will go up .....this is what is happening to me when aim driving ...I have to pull up to the side every time that this happens , and i have to turn off the car ...turn the car again , but usually it happens again.

...the other day , i heard a bad sound under the car as i was driving.. It was right bellow the driver's side...in the undercarriage ....around the middle of the two tires ...to be more specific..Iam not sure what is under there but aim not sure if i wet something when i was washing my car or something ...i am not sure ...

One more thing....my mechanic changed my ERG with my mother's VX ERG valve because mine was getting "check engine"...also the mechanic put an ERG valve from another car , with was a 3.2 to see if that works , but i don't think it worked because the check engine came a few days latter. I think that is when i had the First issue.....but the second issue has been happening for about 2 months ...but it is occasionally
Iam really puzzled about it ,and I want my vx to recover from this one.

Thank you for your time reading this. I appreciate if you have any suggestions or questions since Iam going to see my mechanic on the weekend.
Again, thank you VX family,

Jheyson,

Y33TREKker
09/13/2012, 09:24 PM
Just a few wild guesses based on common ailments associated with the VX, but for the first issue it sounds like your mechanic may be on the right track with the ignition switch assembly.

For the second I'd wonder about the mode selector switch on the drivers side of the transmission. They've been known to start causing problems after awhile because of their proximity to the drivers' side exhaust. Have you ever noticed whether the dash lights that tell you what gear your transmission is in have acted flaky from time to time? The mode selector switches can get corroded and start causing crossed connections resulting in transmission malfunctions.

As far as the noise, easiest to just have the VX put up on a lift and have a look for anything out of the ordinary.

Hope it's something simple.

blacksambo
09/13/2012, 09:57 PM
Sounds to me like maybe a timing belt issue. Have you had it changed recently? At 112K it should be changed by now? If not, have that looked into. It sounds a little like the belt may have skipped a notch or two and the timing is off? Just my guess based on your description. Hope this helps.

Mile High VX
09/14/2012, 05:27 AM
On issue number 1 does it turnover easily and try to start and can't, or just doesn't turn over?

When is the last time your VX had a good tune up and fluid change, including the diffs and transmission?

With 112K on the clock you might start with simple maintenance if that has not been kept up.

Just my thoughts.

jheyson =)
09/15/2012, 05:50 PM
thanks for the help Y33TREKker,
Today, I took it to the mechanic and he told me that it could be the started. He is 75% sure ,but he mention that may be an electronic or computer problem,too. He will change the started with started included for 350$. Hope it is the cause of the problem. The other thing is that today and yesterday , i did't have a problem at all starting.However, a few days later i had to try 12 times before i could start the car.

I will ask him tomorrow about the modes selector tomorrow. I haven't noticed any flaking acting from the transmit ion lights.

The mechanic told me today that the transmission may be slipping ,and that he mention that maybe a transmition job of 3000 dollars may be involved , but he just told me that basically based on what i told him about my problem....

...I wish I knew a mechanic that has dealt with a vehicross before. Maybe somebody in New Jersey want to give me a tip about a good mechanic who knows more about the vx than my current mechanic...

thanks again for the input and your time Y33TREKker,

Just a few wild guesses based on common ailments associated with the VX, but for the first issue it sounds like your mechanic may be on the right track with the ignition switch assembly.

For the second I'd wonder about the mode selector switch on the drivers side of the transmission. They've been known to start causing problems after awhile because of their proximity to the drivers' side exhaust. Have you ever noticed whether the dash lights that tell you what gear your transmission is in have acted flaky from time to time? The mode selector switches can get corroded and start causing crossed connections resulting in transmission malfunctions.

As far as the noise, easiest to just have the VX put up on a lift and have a look for anything out of the ordinary.

Hope it's something simple.

jheyson =)
09/15/2012, 05:55 PM
Sounds to me like maybe a timing belt issue. Have you had it changed recently? At 112K it should be changed by now? If not, have that looked into. It sounds a little like the belt may have skipped a notch or two and the timing is off? Just my guess based on your description. Hope this helps.

Hi Blacksambo,

The timing belt was changed at 90 000miles at the same time that I bought the VX. I didn't want to take any risks, so the timing belt was changed at that time.
I will ask him again tomorrow just in case about the belt. Thanks blacksambo.

jheyson =)
09/15/2012, 06:09 PM
On issue number 1 does it turnover easily and try to start and can't, or just doesn't turn over?

When is the last time your VX had a good tune up and fluid change, including the diffs and transmission?

With 112K on the clock you might start with simple maintenance if that has not been kept up.

Just my thoughts.
According to the records, transmission fluid change and tuned up was done at 90 000miles or 2 years ago... I asked the mechanic to do it again but he told me the levels were ok 1 year ago....but he didn't do anything at that time. Iam not an expert in mechanics,but i want to take care of the vx as much as i can. This mechanic seems to let things go by. By the way, when should i do the fluid changes?? every 30 000 miles ,, 20 000? or how long? thanks for the input. I am not an expert, but i want to learn more about taking good care of my Vx. If you have any other tips to keep the VX in good shape ....please let me know.
Iam aware of the oil issue,and i check every time I fill up the tank ,and i keep with me bottles of oil just in case....Thanks again for the input Mile High Vx,

blacksambo
09/15/2012, 07:19 PM
If you have not changed to synthetic lubricants in the driveline then that would be a step forward. Not only will that improve mileage but these synthetics last much longer...double, triple normal fluids. And don't forget the special limited-slip fluid when you change the rear end.

Scott Larson
09/15/2012, 07:39 PM
Yes Jheyson, x2 on the synthetics! Living in New Jersey, you should have every brand of synthetics available to you. Personally I use Amsoil, but then, I'm a dealer. Whether you choose Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Lucas or whatever brand, synthetics will outlast and outperform any conventional motor oil on the market! (And now I sound like a fricken commercial...) :bla:

VX KAT
09/15/2012, 07:58 PM
If you have not changed to synthetic lubricants in the driveline then that would be a step forward. Not only will that improve mileage but these synthetics last much longer...double, triple normal fluids. And don't forget the special limited-slip fluid when you change the rear end.

I know with Royal Purple diff fluid, you do NOT have to add the LSD additive. It's formulation covers that somehow. I know confirmation of that has been posted several times on here.
Perhaps that's the case with the other top synthetics as well, but I'm not sure.

creeg
09/15/2012, 09:42 PM
Jheyson,
I may be experiencing the same revving issue at speed that you have, but I have not found a solution to the issue yet.

I have found that it happens at just about 26-27 mph. What happens is that sometimes (not always), when I hit that speed, it feels like it misses a shift point, and stays in a lower gear when it should actually have shifted into a higher gear. I end up with the engine revving high if I hit the gas, and I usually have to back off the gas, let it settle for a couple seconds, get down below 26 mph. Then, it usally will shift correctly into the higher gear that it seemed to have missed the first time around.

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?

Y33TREKker
09/16/2012, 07:36 AM
Do either of you know whether your transmission filters were also changed when your transmission fluid was last serviced? I would sure be trying that irst before I had a $3000 transmission service done.

It doesn't look like there are many members here from the New Jersey or Philadelphia area. What is your exact location?

jheyson =)
09/17/2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Scott,

I will tell my mechanic about the synthetics next time I see him. Since Amsoil worked well for you so far, I will give it a try according to what the mechanic says. Thanks for the information Scott

Yes Jheyson, x2 on the synthetics! Living in New Jersey, you should have every brand of synthetics available to you. Personally I use Amsoil, but then, I'm a dealer. Whether you choose Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Lucas or whatever brand, synthetics will outlast and outperform any conventional motor oil on the market! (And now I sound like a fricken commercial...) :bla:

JMNY
09/17/2012, 07:01 PM
Unfortunately I dont know any good mechanics that I can trust. I usually lease cars and give them back after three years. My VX needs all the fluids flushed/changed and I am hoping that I find an excellent mechanic that will take the time to understand my VX.

I am on the other side of NJ (more South) - but let me know if I can help Jeyshon!

jheyson =)
09/17/2012, 07:45 PM
Hi Creeg,

Your experience is similar to mine...i would say almost identical. My mechanic told me that the transmission is starting to slip.......and he suggested me that a transmission job may have to be done...(around 3000)......did you check this issue with any mechanic?.......I just want to make sure that is the problem before I spent that kind of money....but he is going to put a fluid on saturday...i will get the name of it. He said it may slow down the slippery problem but in the long run , I will need to do the fixing of the transmission.

Jheyson,
I may be experiencing the same revving issue at speed that you have, but I have not found a solution to the issue yet.

I have found that it happens at just about 26-27 mph. What happens is that sometimes (not always), when I hit that speed, it feels like it misses a shift point, and stays in a lower gear when it should actually have shifted into a higher gear. I end up with the engine revving high if I hit the gas, and I usually have to back off the gas, let it settle for a couple seconds, get down below 26 mph. Then, it usally will shift correctly into the higher gear that it seemed to have missed the first time around.

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?

jheyson =)
09/17/2012, 07:47 PM
He told me that he serviced the transmission fluid and filters in 2010 .....
I live in fort lee, nj 07024 ..bergen county

Do either of you know whether your transmission filters were also changed when your transmission fluid was last serviced? I would sure be trying that irst before I had a $3000 transmission service done.

It doesn't look like there are many members here from the New Jersey or Philadelphia area. What is your exact location?

Y33TREKker
09/17/2012, 08:36 PM
He told me that he serviced the transmission fluid and filters in 2010 .....
I live in fort lee, nj 07024 ..bergen county
Trans fluid filters are changed more according to mileage than by time, usually 30,000 to 40,000 miles between changes is a general rule of thumb, but driving tendencies and vehicle usage can make that vary, so it's something to keep in mind.

I saw that these three members were listed in your area on the member's map, but Gussie seems to have been the most recently active, so you might consider emailing or PM'ing him for suggestions for mechanics in your area who might have more experience with the VehiCross.

Thru Da Lungs

Shawn seeback

Gussie2000

creeg
12/26/2013, 05:05 PM
Hi, did you ever figure out the problem with your transmission slipping?
I havent figured out what the issue is either, and wanted to see if you found a solution.
Ive taken it to a reputable transmission shop, and they cant figure out what it is, and they dont want to rebuild the transmission and charge me if its something much simpler.

BlackVXer99
01/01/2014, 01:38 PM
did your mechanic check your battery cables for corrosion when he replaced the battery? I had to cut away about 4 inches of my negative cable and replace the connecter. it had managed to get corrosion inside the the rubber/plastic casing on the cable. Mine had sat a couple weeks and then wouldnt start, replaced the battery and still nothing. fixing the corrosion and connecters did the trick, fires right up now. just something to consider