PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a Magnaflow cat-back kit???

cheetah2390
09/10/2012, 11:12 AM
I contacted Magnaflow to see if they would produce a cat-back exhaust system for they Vehicross. Here is the reply I got "Fill out the information and if engineering needs a vehicle to prototype an exhaust they will reach out to someone. The more people who fill out that application will show how many customers are out there interested in an exhaust." here is the link to the application http://www.magnaflow.com/10projectvehicle/prototype.asp so please everyone, fill this form out!
Thank you!

cheetah2390
09/10/2012, 12:46 PM
It's a very simple application, please fill it out to help show interest in a exhaust kit

VXorado
09/10/2012, 01:25 PM
Any idea on cost?

samneil2000
09/10/2012, 01:41 PM
You should be able to go to a custom exhaust shop and have them build you a cat back with your choice of muffler. That's what I did. I got a Magnaflow single in single out, exiting in the stock location for about 200 to 250 bucks if I remember right.

cheetah2390
09/10/2012, 06:22 PM
Right, but this way you can buy the kit and do the job yourself. I've purchased a few magnaflow cat-back systems for my other vehicles, and they make great products. They generally range in price from $300-$750 depending on the application. They won't produce one for the VX if there isn't enough interest, so fill out the form/application (takes 1 minute)!

cheetah2390
09/11/2012, 06:26 PM
Bump
Keep filling out the form/application VXers!

89Vette
09/11/2012, 06:54 PM
Single or dual exhaust?

If you look in the muffler video thread, at least one Magnaflow setup seemed to be in there. Don't know how custom it was/is though.

Seems like the thread owner is RickShaw IIRC.

tom4bren
09/12/2012, 04:41 AM
I contacted Magnaflow to see if they would produce a cat-back exhaust system for they Vehicross.

Good to know. Borla wasn't interested at all when I contacted them.

evillecutter
09/12/2012, 06:30 AM
Any idea on cost?

the application says its free but you are signing a contract saying you will find a way to get your vx to california and leave it there for 5 days

cheetah2390
09/12/2012, 06:42 AM
the application says its free but you are signing a contract saying you will find a way to get your vx to california and leave it there for 5 days

Nic from Magnaflow "Fill out the information and if engineering needs a vehicle to prototype an exhaust they will reach out to someone. The more people who fill out that application will show how many customers are out there interested in an exhaust."

I'm sure they would ask the closest person to bring their vehicle in. Plus you would get a free exhaust :happyface

vt_maverick
09/12/2012, 07:57 AM
You should be able to go to a custom exhaust shop ... I got a Magnaflow single in single out, exiting in the stock location for about 200 to 250 bucks if I remember right.

Right, but this way you can buy the kit and do the job yourself. ... They generally range in price from $300-$750 depending on the application.

So tell me again what the advantage is?

samneil2000
09/12/2012, 07:58 AM
I still don't understand the desire... I don't want to sound negative so please don't read this that way. It just seems as though this is more expensive than getting an exhaust shop to custom build your own exhaust and use whatever muffler you want. What does it gain you besides expense?

cheetah2390
09/12/2012, 10:00 AM
I still don't understand the desire... I don't want to sound negative so please don't read this that way. It just seems as though this is more expensive than getting an exhaust shop to custom build your own exhaust and use whatever muffler you want. What does it gain you besides expense?

The price I gave is just a guess, I have no idea what the price will be. A dual exhaust system would be awesome. I'm sure they will make a couple options (if they actually decide to produce a system). For VXers with a stock exhaust it would a nice upgrade. They sound good (on the vehicles I've heard with them), look good, are 100% stainless steel, and dyno tested. It's just another option……

Bob Barker
09/12/2012, 10:43 AM
I like Magnaflow's products and they do sound good, the only real benefit to a pre built exhaust would be us being able to install on our own, but if the price isnt any better than an exhaust shop building it and using a magnaflow muffler then there's no point. Are they also going to attempt to fit any type of tubular header and mid pipe? I would be VERY interested in that! A full system would be great!

cheetah2390
09/12/2012, 11:44 AM
I like Magnaflow's products and they do sound good, the only real benefit to a pre built exhaust would be us being able to install on our own, but if the price isnt any better than an exhaust shop building it and using a magnaflow muffler then there's no point. Are they also going to attempt to fit any type of tubular header and mid pipe? I would be VERY interested in that! A full system would be great!

I'm guessing mid-pipe but that is all up to the engineers at Magnaflow.

RabidPony
09/12/2012, 09:42 PM
I'll fill out the app and if it's in California, then they can use my VX. I was planning on making one with a Magnaflow muffler myself anyway.

ND92
09/12/2012, 11:51 PM
I would really love a dual exhaust from Magnaflow, but there is no way I can drive all the way to california. Is it basically just a "see how many people are interested" kind of thing? and then they choose someone close?

Bob Barker
09/13/2012, 04:27 AM
That whole "must drive to CA" is what's stopping me from filling it out.

cheetah2390
09/13/2012, 06:30 AM
I'll fill out the app and if it's in California, then they can use my VX. I was planning on making one with a Magnaflow muffler myself anyway.
Thanks RabidPony! As I said before, they will probably ASK the closest person to bring their vx in. I sent Nic from Magnaflow an email to confirm.

WormGod
09/13/2012, 07:19 AM
Problem is, they probably need more sigs than there are VXs in the world. :p

cheetah2390
09/13/2012, 12:00 PM
That whole "must drive to CA" is what's stopping me from filling it out.

I got a response from Nic at Magnaflow about the whole drive to CA. Here is his response to my email which said (...I'm guessing you will ask the closest person?): "That would be correct and we will work with the vehicle owner to make sure their life goes on as uninterrupted as possible." So no worries about filling out the application. :grino:

Bob Barker
09/13/2012, 05:50 PM
Great to hear! I'll fill one out now!

Mile High VX
09/13/2012, 06:57 PM
I did mine...glad to help.

evillecutter
09/14/2012, 05:26 PM
filled out

JMNY
09/14/2012, 06:34 PM
Would love a manga flow with dual exhaust.....hope it helps. If anyonev hears please let us know

Kenny
09/16/2012, 07:12 PM
My $0.02 on Magnaflow,
I did the dual Magnaflow with Magnaflow cats.
Muffler lasted a few years then it was hollowed out.
The cats lasted about 3 or 4 years, and I found parts of the mesh in the tail pipe. Some got jammed and really made a vibrating noise until they broke down after a few weeks. I'll get the odd error on the 02 sensors too because the cats are degraded.

I also found the mangaflow too tinny and loud, I had to add resonators to tone it down.

Now I run a Dynomax and I find it sounds way better and it's lasted longer.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Magnaflow_1.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Magnaflow_2.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Magnaflow_Cat_1.jpg

link to post:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13676&highlight=magnaflow

cheetah2390
09/17/2012, 11:04 AM
I was told by a shop a Dynomax muffler wouldn't last a Minnesota winter... they recommended Magnaflow

pbkid
09/18/2012, 11:55 AM
I can second that Kenny's old muffler was VERY loud..i followed him from denver to moab my first year and it was much louder than any diesel. Sounded as loud as a harley or something.

cheetah2390
09/20/2012, 06:11 AM
If you haven't filled out the application yet http://www.magnaflow.com/10projectvehicle/prototype.asp please fill it out to show interest in an exhaust system. Thank you to everyone that has filled it out!