PDA

View Full Version : Top speed?

MZ-N10
10/18/2003, 01:09 AM
Anyone ever top out the VX yet...I hit 110 today but that was all I could do before i put either me or someone else in danger on the road....
________
AVANDIA SIDE EFFECT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/avandia/)

SpaceTruck'n
10/18/2003, 03:41 AM
Last night I hit Mach .9 Experienced severe turbulace. Controls began to freeze...
Then I woke up.

hchen
10/18/2003, 08:50 AM
ive' hit 115 but that was only once or twice ... today i hit 110 buuuut ithink the limiter kicks in around 110

Baxman
10/18/2003, 08:18 PM
I did 118 last December.

On the dyno;)

Andrey
10/19/2003, 08:18 AM
I do not think VX will have "hard" time going 110. I never clocked myself - maybe I should find an old airstrip somewhere around here :)

Dallas4u
10/19/2003, 10:05 AM
Rick, my boy... where and how have you been? I haven't seen you on here in a while!

Zu4two
10/20/2003, 11:11 PM
Car and Driver listed the top speed as "115 MPH, governor limited"

Personally, I've never hit the top speed governor, not yet :)

Anita
10/21/2003, 12:00 AM
Late at night coming home on I-5 returning from a VX meet up in the Bay area I hit 114 (maybe 115) and the governor kicked in.

Had to try it for myself...;eekr;

MZ-N10
10/21/2003, 01:16 AM
115 huh...gonna have ot try it coming home from school 2morow on highway 4.....lets hope there arent any cops or slow cars in front of me.....
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Andrey
10/31/2003, 03:02 PM
what is governor (limiter) ? what feel you have once this kiks in ?

MZ-N10
10/31/2003, 04:08 PM
You cant acutally feel it...your rpm just stops and your car doesnt go any faster....im pretty sure if you can get your hands on an aftermarket computer you can change it and red line teh car....but for now the rpm stops under 4000 rpm
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Andrey
10/31/2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MZ-N10
You cant acutally feel it...your rpm just stops and your car doesnt go any faster....im pretty sure if you can get your hands on an aftermarket computer you can change it and red line teh car....but for now the rpm stops under 4000 rpm

can you please explain what do you mean by 4K rpm ? I've had needle well into 5K and change (on 1st , 2nd gear not sure)

Heraclid
10/31/2003, 08:53 PM
Are you guys running that fast on tires rated for that speed? I'd like to get it up around there one of these days, but I'm running BFG Mud Terrains. Not sure if it's okay for a short burst or if I should shelve the idea totally unless I have more speed-oriented tires.

MZ-N10
10/31/2003, 11:49 PM
the rpm stops moving at 115mph or at around 4000rpm....you can redline it on 1st 2nd and whatever.....as for the tires...most the tires can hit 120 easy.....so don't really worry about it...im using yokos.
________
Vaporizer Video Review (http://vaporizers.tv/)

paultvx
11/02/2003, 03:07 AM
118... heh. I can hit that without even trying with my current ride. Can't go some places the VX can, but it sure it sure can go stupid fast without much effort. Never pushed the VX anywhere near that mark. It ain't a sports car.

Gonna get a ticket one of these days...

Tone
11/02/2003, 04:43 PM
It ain’t a sports car? Damn, I better stop playing on the track with the Porsches - I thought SPORT was in it’s name.....

Way stable at 115MPH @ ~4500 RPM - with room to go faster if not for that silly limiter.

paultvx
11/02/2003, 04:49 PM
It's still not a sports car. Auto-x is one thing... track is another... Those Porsche drivers need lessons.

It's a good truck. That is what it is. No need to take offense.

Hey Spazz, ignore still works. Have fun talking to yourself.

Tone
11/02/2003, 04:51 PM
No offense but you do not understand what it really is - your loss. I’ve autocrossed it, rallyX crossed it, drag raced it (see my timeslips), offroaded and mudded with it. But wait, you don’t have one anymore do you? Bring your new ride to TX and show me your stuff. You’ve always been one to mouth off here but never produce.

paultvx
11/02/2003, 04:56 PM
Oh I understand what it is. Had things been better, I would have kept it. It is what it is, a heavy 4x4 SUV with a suspension that is more street capable than other SUVs. It's probably the best truck I have ever owned, on or off the road. Realistically, you think the VX can match the potential of say... a turbo Supra or EVO 8? C'mon... from Spazz this I would expect, but you know better.

It's a sporty truck. It's not a sports car by the true definition of a "sports car".

Dallas4u
11/02/2003, 04:58 PM
This is dumb.

It's not a sports car... in fact, if someone would have called it a car outside of this thread or forum to a forum member, the owner would no doubt come on here and bitch about it.

It's more like a sports-hybrid-truck-cross. Take it for what you will, but I definitely don't get upset if someone says it's not a sports car.

MZ-N10
11/02/2003, 05:16 PM
wow soo much hate toward spazz.....
________
1XXXNAUGHTY4U live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/1XXXNAUGHTY4U)

Heraclid
11/02/2003, 08:21 PM
:rollo:

Paul and Dallas are right. It's not a slight to the VX at all, but there are faster SUVs, let alone real sports cars. It's not a sports car, but it's a real sporty truck. The charm of the VX is that it may not be the best at everything, but it does everything pretty well. It's a "Renaissance man" of the auto world. It's definitely not as one-dimensional as a Porsche.

Navigator
11/03/2003, 06:56 AM
... I can hardly wait for the next limited edition uniquely styled high performance go anywhere SUV for under $33,000 :naughty: Must be less than 6,000 produced by hand and equaly suited both on and off road. I tell ya, if someone can match that feat, I'll knock down their door to buy :D

BTW, I hit 117mph stock once or twice :naughty: The VX can go :yes: And if well maintained and in the right hands is quite stable esspecially for an SUV.

Dallas4u
11/03/2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Heraclid
:rollo:

Paul and Dallas are right. It's not a slight to the VX at all, but there are faster SUVs, let alone real sports cars. It's not a sports car, but it's a real sporty truck. The charm of the VX is that it may not be the best at everything, but it does everything pretty well. It's a "Renaissance man" of the auto world. It's definitely not as one-dimensional as a Porsche.

Heraclid, you are right. Many people in this forum are so touchy that, if you say anything that doesn't make the VX look positive in every way, they think you are ragging on it. It's an automobile, not your mamma! I love my VX, as most of us do... it is what it is, and it isn't what it isn't... a lot of that is opinions, so much of what some people think it is or isn't seems to offend others for some reason.

WormGod
11/03/2003, 11:49 AM
Just to spread some further nonsense into the already "push me shove you" charade.... State Farm Insurance lists the VX as a "High Performance SUV". In short, I prefer to go by what the insurance says and not a few boat rockers. :p If they say that, then I conclude (personally) that the VX just that. A "High Performance SUV". If ya don't like it, take it up with them. ;Dr;

I once hit 115, according to the speedometer, but with the 285/60's, it was surely more than that. I suck at math, so I care not to figure that one out. :confused:

MZ-N10
11/03/2003, 01:10 PM
Under CSAA insurance the VX is listed as a 2 door wagon...lol..
________
MOTHER NATURES COLLECTIVE RESEDA (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

FeatherFoot
11/03/2003, 02:53 PM
I see y'all can still hold a non benefitial pissing contest!!

I think Isuzu made the VX a sleeper so nobody would complain about it looking like a tennis shoe. Them black ones really do look like a KEDS high-tops don't they?

How Y'all doin???

I been sorta out of pocket for a while. Notice some new `handles' on the forum, You old timers treatin 'em OK??

FF

Dallas4u
11/03/2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by FeatherFoot
I see y'all can still hold a non benefitial pissing contest!!

I think Isuzu made the VX a sleeper so nobody would complain about it looking like a tennis shoe. Them black ones really do look like a KEDS high-tops don't they?

What's up John. I guarantee someone's bitin' their tounge on this one! :D

Heraclid
11/03/2003, 04:18 PM
I for one am not saying the VX isn't high performance. It is undoubtedly a high performance SUV. I love that about it. And to me performance means off-road capability too. But getting back to pure speed, fast for a SUV isn't really all that fast in general. Now granted, I am referring to the stock VX, and naturally the supercharged version is another ballgame altogether. Keep in mind it suits the insurance companies to call it high performance. $$$ State Farm also called my Avenger a sports car and set the premiums accordingly even though it was more of a sporty-looking car rather than a real sports car.

I love the VX for many reasons. One being that the VX is a quick SUV, but a 0-60 time of about the same as my old 1995 Dodge Avenger ES with a 165hp V6 is not, in the grand scheme of things, very fast. Again, only talking the stock VX here. The time is fast approaching when the VX is not even a particularly fast SUV as things like the Cayenne and Murano hit the pavement. Even with the S/C there is some viable competition already out there in the SUV market.

MZ-N10
11/03/2003, 05:26 PM
The vx is acutally really fast if you compare it to certian cars, but with teh limited set at about 115 we cant get it to top out at a higher speed. like the Evo7 for instance has a 127 mph speed limiter. if we can somehow remove the limiter then we will ahve an additional 2000 or so more rpm.
________
Paxil Class Action (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/03/2003, 06:43 PM
It is quite common for the manufacturer to "limit" their vehicles according to the "safe" top speed of the O.E.M. tires. I've had 2 Dodge Daytonas...an '89 with a run of the mill 2.5L 4-banger and it topped out around 115m.p.h. I also had a '92 IROC RT with a twin-cam turbo 2.2L 4-banger rated at 225 hp and I took it up to 130mph on a speedometer that went up to 160mph. I never did find out how fast that one could go! It had Goodyear Gatorbacks rated at 160mph continuous top speed as O.E.M. tires.

My Dad's F-150 4x4 says in the owners manual it'll only do 90mph.

Just so long as I can outrun any "wise guys" (aka mafia)....especially anyone by the name Soprano! LOL.

Moncha
11/03/2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
What's up John. I guarantee someone's bitin' their tounge on this one! :D

Ya know mine's a bleedn' bad!!

Andrey
11/04/2003, 06:12 AM
Let's not forget when VX was introduced. I first saw it on Boston Car Show in '97 or '98 maybe... (BTW I never thought I would own one). So in that timeframe I guess it was the fastest SUV out there - there was no Caenne or Infinity FX. For sure it is not a sports car but rather VERY fast SUV. 0 to 60 in 8 sec or so (please correct me experts who clocked stock VX) To me this VERY respected result for a SUV wich is for sure heavy. Why the hell on earth it is THAT heavy (frame, gearbox,engine, body panels which are pretty thick)

And for one this is not a pissing contest - majority of us here on the forum share ideas, help each other with advice, expand horizon of knowledge. One does not have to have PhD to understand that people who bought VX in the first place wanted to stand out, have fun under the sun and GO FURTHER !

Proud owner of '99 IRONMAN

Heraclid
11/04/2003, 03:28 PM
That's true - for what it is, the VX is fast. I believe at the time it came out here in 1999 the only faster SUV was the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It always has amazed me how underpowered so many SUVs are, and particularly with the heavier 4x4s. This is one of those things the VX helped lead the way in changing.

Just as a side note, I once read the RAV-4 had the class-leading turn radius, but the VX had the exact same turn radius (34.1 feet, I believe). Of course, many publications don't count the VX and you'd think it never existed looking at some of them. Several used car publications do not list it, and there's no crash test data anywhere that I'm aware of. Although some members here can personally attest to its crashworthiness. I could have sworn I read somewhere that it had steel beams in the doors, but after being in there working on my windows, I have to say I don't think it would protect anyone in a side impact worth a damn. There's really nothing there to stop anything.

I love the thing anyway. :-)

Heraclid
11/04/2003, 04:24 PM
Doesn't bother me. Some tennis shoes look pretty cool.

Moncha
11/06/2003, 08:17 PM
I've separated the EMC modification portion to it's own thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2462)

Heraclid
11/07/2003, 03:42 PM
Looks like my shoe comment above got moved from that thread to this one in the process. :-)