PDA

View Full Version : Reading and clearing codes on-the-fly...

Scott Larson
09/05/2012, 10:56 AM
I had an interesting situation last Wednesday while driving my trusty VX. I was headed down to Minneapolis from my perch in the Northwoods when, while passing a slow-moving vehicle, the Check Engine light came on. Now I knew it couldn't be low oil pressure because I was only fifteen minutes into my three hour journey and had checked all the usual vitals before leaving. Everything sounded and felt normal with no hint of impending doom. It wasn't a thrown belt because I still had power steering and air con, hmmmm... Now I know I should have pulled over for my next observation, 'cuz we all know what can happen while driving distracted, but I didn't. I pulled my Actron PocketScan Plus Code Reader out of the glovebox (yup, I actually carry it there in this car because of its penchant for throwing codes) and plugged it in on-the-fly and read off SEVEN thrown codes, YIKES! Now I wasn't gonna pull my code book out and start reading 'em off, so I just hit the "Clear Codes" key to see what would pop back up, and wouldn't ya know it, nothin' ,notta, zip! The Check Engine light went off and stayed off. When I got to my destination I scanned for codes again and still nothin'. 430 miles later still no more codes. I'm kinda baffled, the VX had a brain-fart. It's been a week now and it hasn't burped out any more codes. I've never had a vehicle that just randomly throws codes just for the hell of it. Maybe it thinks it's fun, I don't know. But there's one more reason why having a code reader in your VX isn't a bad idea, It saved my trip, I probably would have turned around and headed back home. For those of you that have the ScanGauge 2 installed, that makes it real easy; that's the slick-ticket! If anybody else has had a similar event, please post and tell us about it.:_confused
:_steering

MSHardeman
09/05/2012, 11:02 AM
If you remember any of the codes we could totally diagnose what happened. Since you were passing another car, I'm guessing that you were on the gas, so it could have been some kind of oxygen sensor code. I know that my VX will throw codes when I have extremes in elevation gain (like going over mountain passes). I know the VX always throws codes everytime I do Fins and Things out in Moab. The trail has long climbs and descents and usually the first fin that I go up, during the long climb, the CEL will come on and it is usually some kind of oxygen sensor code.

Scott Larson
09/05/2012, 11:07 AM
Do you have to clear it, or does it clear itself after so many cycles? The part that really surprised me was the fact it threw seven codes all at once!

tom4bren
09/05/2012, 11:14 AM
If anybody else has had a similar event, please post and tell us about it.:_confused
:_steering

Other than the time I got a CEL for the MAF being dirty, I've never thrown a code ... in the VX (knock on wood) ... the Eclipse is another matter entirely.

I keep a reader in the Eclipse alla time because I get a low temp code almost weekly & a CEL for misfire once in a blue moon. I can read and clear codes on the fly without being distracted now (at least no more so than screening calls on my cell). Plug that bad boy in by feel, push the left button for 10 sec, wait 10 sec, push the right button for 10 sec, release and push again. When CEL goes out, pull the cord & toss in back seat.

Maybe you need to get the scanguage that stores the codes on your smartphone in case that ever happens again.

Scott Larson
09/05/2012, 11:20 AM
Smart Phone?! Is that one of them there new fangly sell phones? :rollo:

vt_maverick
09/05/2012, 11:33 AM
I've got a CarPC in the dash running this software called Centrafuse that has a built-in OBDII reader. It actually gives you live read-outs of all the OBDII data (speed, air intake temperature, coolant temperature, throttle position, etc) and lets you read the codes AND their descriptions at the same time. You can even clear the codes with the touch of a button.

MSHardeman
09/05/2012, 11:41 AM
Scott, I am running a ScangaugeII that is mounted above my rear view mirror so it is constantly monitoring the VX. When the CEL does come on I can read the codes real quick, make sure that it's nothing serious, and then clear them (all on the fly).

Actually, this year when I was out in Moab, Vicki threw seven codes at once so I guess it's not uncommon. Not to scare you, but that was the start of my engine woes, and one of those seven codes was the cylinder three mis-fire code that eventually ended with cylinder three going completely dead and me having to replace the engine. The other six codes dealt with oxygen sensors and the engine running lean during acceleration. Sure would be good if you could remember those codes.

evillecutter
09/05/2012, 12:17 PM
technology-wise a 12 year old computer might as well be a dinosaur turd

i had a '92 lincoln continental in my youth for a few years and that check engine light was on so much that the guys at the lincoln dealership wouldnt even look at it anymore - i am not joking they finally told me it was the computer that was bad and that absolutely nothing was actually wrong with the car so if i wanted to fix the check engine light i had to put another dash/computer in it - long story short i painted over the check engine light so you couldnt see it anymore and my blood pressure returned to normal

HeckaTrebeka
09/05/2012, 12:24 PM
technology-wise a 12 year old computer might as well be a dinosaur turd

i had an old lincoln continental in my youth for a few years and that check engine light was on so much that the guys at the lincoln dealership wouldnt even look at it anymore - i am not joking they finally told me it was the computer that was bad and that absolutely nothing was actually wrong with the car so if i wanted to fix the check engine light i had to put another dash/computer in it - long story short i painted over the check engine light so you couldnt see it anymore and my blood pressure returned to normal

well 2000 was still turn of the century, even in regards to CPUs which were vastly better than they were in the early 90's. I remember having a 1985 Toyota MR2 that had a CPU in it with codes as well. I don't know of too many improvements that have been made to vehicle CPUs since early 2000's unless you're talking luxury.

tom4bren
09/05/2012, 01:05 PM
Smart Phone?! Is that one of them there new fangly sell phones? :rollo:

Yup but I haven't gradumicated up to one of them new fangly ones yet either. I'm afraid it will insult my stupidity.

Cobrajet
09/05/2012, 03:00 PM
I carry an old Acton code reader in a bag behind my back seat, and have been known to read and clear codes on the run while commuting. Been there...done that. It's been years since I've had a code, though, and I attribute that to removing the oiled K&N filter. My codes were O2 sensor related, and normally didn't come back for a couple months after clearing. I had my MAF cleaned and left the K&N out.

Scott Larson
09/05/2012, 05:29 PM
Ya know, I really should have written the codes down, but I assumed they would pop back up again. Never had a vehicle throw codes just for the fun of it; this was a new one for me, and I've seen cars do some pretty strange things. I'm kinda thinkin' that ScanGaugeII might be a real plus for a vehicle as temperamental as these VX's seem to be. The other thing that I strongly feel the VX needs is an accurate oil pressure gauge. I'm an analog kind of guy (not to be confused with anal) but a digital would be fine too. As I understand it, the ScanGauge II will read oil pressure, but it's not a "IN YOUR FACE, LOOK AT ME!" kind of noticeable...Thoughts? Anyone?

VxSport
09/05/2012, 05:46 PM
We keep a scanner in 2 out of 3 vehicles here. and yes.... VX has a pocket scan in the glovebox. only code I have ever seen is a O2 and the IAC replace.

Scott Larson
09/05/2012, 08:10 PM
So, I am not alone in my anal quest for immediate answers to pressing problems...:_thinking

Marlin
09/06/2012, 09:37 AM
I run a scan gage also, for clearing my stupid P0440 for the last 3.5 yrs. I also have an app called "torque". It is a real time monitoring system, get a blue tooth OBII reader on ebay for like 15 bucks, and voila, I can monitor all my vehicles without mocving the scangage and it shows all kinds of info, HP, temps whatever you want.
When a code pops up, click on it, auto goes to google search for real time checking, of course I would not recommend internet surfing while driving, but at least you can exit and check right away.

Scott Larson
09/06/2012, 12:56 PM
Whataya mean ya wouldn't recommend net surfin' while driving? I've seen people yappin' on their cell phones :bla: while eatin' a Big Mac :drool2: and puttin' on makeup :flower: all while driving!! :_mecker: