PDA

View Full Version : UGH. MIGHT have to sell my baby...

technocoy
08/30/2012, 09:30 PM
Well, here we are. A decade later and still in love, but might have to go our separate ways...

I'm having a REALLY hard time making this decision.

With my first daughter, I was working for myself and so it was very easy to let my wife drive the VX (Since I could get the car seat in and out of it) on days I needed to pick up Ella, and my schedule was easy to deal with.

But now with daughter number 2, and me back in a full time job we have to split the pickup/dropoff duties and I was finally forced to get another ride that was easier to get the girls in and out of.

I absolutely love my VX, but it's just sitting there, waiting for the occasional weekend drive alone, just the two of us, and I feel like she's really just being left alone most of the time.

It makes me nervous about it not getting driven enough.

On top of that, with the market like it is, and likely not to be doing much better anytime soon, we aren't going to try and sell the house and move, so we need to make some long overdue improvements to the current abode. That makes it even harder to justify the VX.

UGHHHH. I feel like I be THAT GUY that had his dream mustang, or vette, etc and sold it, only to REALLY regret it years later.

I've seen cars sit though, and it's rarely a pretty thing.

I'll have to mull it over a LOT more in the coming weeks, but if she's gotta go, I REALLY hope someone from the family might be interested. I just can't imagine her going to someone who doesn't "get" it.

Just venting to the crew...

- holt

tom4bren
08/31/2012, 10:55 AM
No. No!!!

Say it isn't so.

We lose more family members to that than any other reason.

We understand your reasons though & hope you find a better alternative.

Riff Raff
09/02/2012, 07:08 AM
Yup, having a child (or two) is the #1 reason people sell their beloved VX. Hmmm, perhaps it's time to get a 4-door version of the Range Rover - Evoque (they also make a 2-door coupe version as well). See link:

http://www.landrover.com/us/en/rr/range-rover-evoque/

:bgwb:

Scott Larson
09/02/2012, 07:46 AM
For what it's worth, sitting doesn't hurt a car. It doesn't get depressed and want to end it all. That said, where it sits does hurt a car. Parked in tall grass, under a tree, out on the street, or in that marshy spot out behind the garage...not good! Now, parked in a well ventilated garage with the proper mouse proofing in place and driven from time to time with the proper maintenance? No problem! I've been doing it with a whole assortment of vehicles for over thirty years and I haven't had any problems or concerns yet. So, be not afraid of the dreaded idle car for the only thing to fear is the occasional rough idle! :rotate::_steering

Cobrajet
09/02/2012, 03:34 PM
Now, parked in a well ventilated garage with the proper mouse proofing in place and driven from time to time with the proper maintenance? No problem!
And don't forget the Battery Tender or similar! I just drove my Cobra yesterday after sitting for the last two months. No issues. My Mustang has been sitting in the driveway (covered) for the better part of six months, hooked up to a battery tender, and I plan to fire it up tomorrow for a short drive around town. Check the tires and fluids before starting, and drive far enough to warm everything up completely, and you should be fine for a long time. And you can lower your insurance by claiming lower annual mileage.

Scott Larson
09/02/2012, 04:48 PM
Yup, what Gregg said! :yeso:

technocoy
09/03/2012, 08:17 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking on it pretty hard. Kind of obsessing over it, really. Who would have thought someone could really be this attached to a freaking car?

I mean, friends and family actually identify me partly with this car!!!!

It's good to know it can sit... Anyone have a recommendation on the different covers we've been over on the site? I'm not even sure half of them would even be made anymore.

I'm very tempted to get the oil changed, do a new coat of RR on the cladding, polish the wheels, put in the new headlights and seats and the just make her a weekend driver.

I'm just convinced that at some point one of my daughters would love to have her. I mean, they are unique now, just imagine in 25 years!!!!!

I'll keep you all posted. It's kind of weird, I'm not as active of a poster as everyone, but always on the site and having watched everyone's lives unfold on here for a decade now is really crazy! I feel like we're all this pen-pal family of sorts!

Cheers!
David

Scott Larson
09/03/2012, 09:10 PM
Weekend driver? Hell yes!! She's bought and paid for, been a loyal companion and she gets "looks", why wouldn't you want to keep her. Good luck finding another in the shape she's in five or ten years from now!! I say "KEEP HER"!
:LineWave: :dance: :clap: :_beer: :thumbup: :_steering

samneil2000
09/05/2012, 06:28 AM
Mine is a weekend play toy that I might drive to work once every two weeks or so. My one-way commute is about 33 miles. I like to run around my small town in the VX on the weekends and let it sit at the house during the week.

tom4bren
09/05/2012, 08:02 AM
Mine is a weekend play toy that I might drive to work once every two weeks or so. My one-way commute is about 33 miles. I like to run around my small town in the VX on the weekends and let it sit at the house during the week.

I feel ya. My commute is 45 miles each way so the VX only gets to go with me to work when I need to tow the trailer in or sumpn.

Of course, the mileage on the VX has doubled in the past 2 years since Boy has been driving it to school & cruzin & wheeling & stuff.

Baldwin
09/06/2012, 10:41 PM
Man, I must be insane. We're considering starting a family and I bought a 2nd VX! ANOTHER PROTON! My OG VX is in mint condition and sitting in my in-laws garage. Junior (as we call him) is now my daily driver as I spend way too much time and $$ fixing him after rescuing him someone that didn't take good care of him at all. One day, he'll be almost as good as big brother. So don't get rid of your VX...Get another one!! :)

VXR
09/07/2012, 05:26 PM
Man, I must be insane. We're considering starting a family and I bought a 2nd VX

Not insane at all. It's a little tricky when they are too young to buckle themselves but as soon as they can the VX is a great kid hauler:yesb:

Ldub
09/07/2012, 05:42 PM
Hmmm, perhaps it's time to get a 4-door version of the Range Rover - Evoque

You expecting...:confused:

Tech...if you can afford to keep it, without having to turn baby depends inside out...do it!

technocoy
09/07/2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the support. You guys are like pushers! Hahaha.

Dub, I'm hoping something works out. I REALLY don't want to have to do it.

VxSport
09/07/2012, 11:22 PM
Well, I can give you some insight. My daughter is 4 years old now. Loves riding in the VX (bouncy buggie). I have just made sure that the driveway had two other 4 door vehicles in the driveway. My VX was a weekender for awhile, blowing the dust off her now.

And I am in the same boat, my second child is due this spring. There will always be a VX in the garage.

Hope this helps..... Keep it
chris

Baldwin
09/08/2012, 10:20 PM
Well, I put a carseat in the back seat when I took my buddy's little girl around. Was pretty easy to do from the rear door. Of course I can't do that now cuz I took out the rear seat on both my VX's.

vt_maverick
09/09/2012, 05:24 AM
Well, I can give you some insight. My daughter is 4 years old now. Loves riding in the VX (bouncy buggie). I have just made sure that the driveway had two other 4 door vehicles in the driveway. My VX was a weekender for awhile, blowing the dust off her now.

And I am in the same boat, my second child is due this spring. There will always be a VX in the garage.

Hope this helps..... Keep it
chris

+1 - Putting a second child through the back isn't bad at all, especially for the first year while their car seat is rear facing. I haven't figured out how to get both of them in now that the little one is facing forward though, mostly because our 3 year old isn't strong enough to buckle and unbuckle herself just yet. Damn Isuzu engineers and their disregard for backseat access. :mad:

Riff Raff
09/10/2012, 07:30 AM
Damn Isuzu engineers and their disregard for backseat access. :mad:

For crying outloud Mav, our VX is a 2-door coupe!!! Heck, 99.99% of all 2-door coupe's ever built have a worthless and unusable backseat anyway with extremely difficult accessability, regardless of type of vehicle (car, truck, or SUV). Oftentimes, manufacturers only put a backseat in 2-door coupe vehicles in an effort to keep insurance rates down so as to classify it as a family car and not a traditional 2-seater sportscar.

The VX being a 2-door coupe is the primary #1 reason I bought it. If the VX was a common 4-door like most other SUV's on the planet, then I would have kept lookin'. For that reason, the new Range Rover - Evoque in 2-door coupe form is the only current SUV worth buying as a brand new SUV Coupe type vehicle off the showroom floor.

vt_maverick
09/10/2012, 07:39 AM
For crying outloud Mav, our VX is a 2-door coupe!!! Heck, 99.99% of all 2-door coupe's ever built have a worthless and unusable backseat anyway with extremely difficult accessability, regardless of type of vehicle (car, truck, or SUV). Oftentimes, manufacturers only put a backseat in 2-door coupe vehicles in an effort to keep insurance rates down so as to classify it as a family car and not a traditional 2-seater sportscar.

The VX being a 2-door coupe is the primary #1 reason I bought it. If the VX was a common 4-door like most other SUV's on the planet, then I would have kept lookin'.

At the time we got pregnant with our first we owned 4 two-door vehicles (Honda Accord Coupe, Infiniti G35 Coupe, '65 Ford Mustang, Isuzu VehiCROSS). Before that I owned an '85 Mercury Cougar and an '84 Chevy Camaro. The VX has the worst backseat accessibility BY FAR. For me the frustrating part is that the backseat area is so spacious that the terrible access seems more like a cruel joke than anything else. IMHO they should have either made the backseat smaller (or eliminate it altogether) with the current access or made the front seats slide farther forward. Do you think Tone's/Welder Guy's seat sliders really impact the VX's coupe styling and presence? I don't and they make the backseat area WAY more usable.

Btw, let me help you with this:

For that reason, the new Range Rover - Evoque in 2-door coupe form is the only current SUV worth buying (in my opinion) as a brand new SUV Coupe type vehicle off the showroom floor.

Riff Raff
09/10/2012, 07:54 AM
Couple's who initially own a 2-door coupe vehicle(s) and later start a family have a decision to make afterward-- deal with the rear seat inconvenience; or, use an alternate vehicle that is more family friendly with 4-doors.

BTW, please name any other brand new 2-door Coupe SUV's available on the U.S.A. showroom floor besides the R/R - Evoque???

:confused:

vt_maverick
09/10/2012, 08:15 AM
Certainly wouldn't argue that a decision has to be made, just as I think it's silly to argue Isuzu couldn't have easily made that access better without compromising the design vision. It's not like I'm arguing for suicide doors here, just another 3.5 inches of forward movement from the chairs. The only reason to think the access design wasn't a blunder is if you believe God himself reached down to divinely inspire Isuzu's designers such that they couldn't make any changes. And I haven't seen our prophet show up in this thread yet so hopefully nobody thinks that. :p

vt_maverick
09/10/2012, 08:22 AM
Btw I'm surprised BMW hasn't released a two-door version of the X6/M6 - that would rival if not beat the Evoque for styling IMHO.

http://cache.bmwusa.com/image_06bc5309-9cd6-4a00-a255-dfbf0dda5e08.arox?v=2e8c71a1-4919-4c05-8156-72a90ebc30da

Or better yet a two-door version of this:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/infinitihtml/media/vehicle/2012/fx/photos-360/exterior/large/ext8.jpg

Heck Nissan did it with the Murano, maybe they'd do it for the FX too. Fingers crossed...

eternal21
09/10/2012, 10:05 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm....you could always buy another VX, cut them both in half and add 2 more doors.

Just sayin' ;)

Scott Larson
09/10/2012, 10:27 PM
The whole argument is fricken rediculous! If you needed a kid-carrier, then you should have bought one! The VX was a concept vehicle, HELLO!!:_mecker: It had a purpose, and it wasn't to transport rugrats. "Why, oh why, won't my Harley transport my family of five?? What a piece-o-crap!" Yes, the argument is just that lame. Sorry guys, I really don't get it...:_brickwal :argue:

vt_maverick
09/11/2012, 10:33 AM
No Scott the VX was a production vehicle with many, MANY differences from the actual concept vehicle, all of which were aimed at either lowering production costs or making the vehicle more livable on a daily basis. Adding one small and cheap item (sliders) to that list of compromises would have been easy, I just think they either overlooked it or thought about it and couldn't come up with anything at the time.

Anyone care to suggest that Tone's VX was less sporty because he created and installed the first set of sliders? I mean he's a blasphemer right? Heck I'm surprised his VX didn't explode in a ball of fire in that picture where he's airborne, it really shouldn't have been possible with those design compromises. :p

RIP Tone BTW. I bought my set of sliders directly from him right before he passed. Every time I take the kids in and out of the VX I'm thankful for his contributions.

Scott Larson
09/11/2012, 05:49 PM
No, I got ya Ashley, but really when ya think about it, the VX wasn't designed or manufactured as a family-friendly carrier. It was put out there to show what Isuzu could do with a sport truck. That's not to suggest they couldn't have taken a more family-friendly approach, they chose not to...My lame analogy with the family-friendly Harley was an attempt to make that point! :whiteflag: