PDA

View Full Version : Original rims...what to use?

JMNY
08/30/2012, 08:03 PM
So I have the original Isuzu rims and from a distance and fairly close they look great! A closer look shows some stains, smear marks and almost looks like water stains but it is not ----- and if you bend down and look inside you can see the usual VX peeling.

So ... I am wondering what you can use to clean up the outside chrome? I have the Mothers Ball that goes on my drill for a while but never used it ( i guess I saved it for my VX :happyface!

What do you you recommend to lift off the slight stains, rust and that dried up water stain look on the rims?

I am also considering buying new rims and some point and having my original rims re done (if possible). But that is down the road as the budget does not allow that at this time.

Thanks!

blacksambo
08/30/2012, 08:17 PM
Your 2001 Vx OEM wheels are plated and polished alloy material. So anything that won't etch aluminum should work. I would try to avoid the power ball as it may remove too much material.

workmeistr
08/31/2012, 04:36 AM
For chrome, start with either #000 or #0000 steel wool, then your Mothers kit should do well. I like the metal/chrome polish Blitz, or Flitz, that comes in a toothpaste-like tube. Good luck, the VX rim chrome is thin, but mine shined up great before being introduced to a Nebraska. winter.

workmeistr
08/31/2012, 04:42 AM
BTW I also keep my headlights maintained with Flitz
http://www.flitz-polish.com/index.php?page=Product.Product&externalId=541

tom4bren
08/31/2012, 10:52 AM
You should be able to find a Powder Coating shop in your area that could blast them down & powder coat them in a (long) day. Your VX can sit up on blocks that long.

You will have to get the tires dismounted & remounted & balanced though so maybe count on 2 days.

Black Chrome powder coating on your Proton's rims would prolly look Schweeeeeet!

JMNY
08/31/2012, 05:34 PM
I appreciate all the answers.
I definitely want to find a shop and have them fixed. They look incredible from a distance and evn fairly close. But they are peeling on the inside :(. So if I fall into some cash I would love to buy a second set of rims and tires and have the originals fixed. I will look into a shop. Thx.

VxSport
08/31/2012, 07:42 PM
I took my oem alloy wheels to a shop and had them powder coated, cost was around 40 ea. They look great now.

Scott Larson
09/02/2012, 08:22 AM
A few seem to be confusing the earlier clearcoated alloys with the later chrome plated alloys, big difference. To powdercoat the chromed alloys, the chrome has to be acid stripped first to ensure a long lasting finish. If the chrome peels, the powdercoat is peeling with it. The clearcoat alloys can be bead-blasted and then powdercoated. To remove rust stains and oxidation from your chromed rims, use a product called "Lime Out" (available from any hardware store, Walmart, Target, etc.) mixed 50/50 with water applied with a hand held spray bottle (an old windex bottle works great). Spray it on the wheels when they are cool and dry, completely wetting the surface and keep them wetted down with the solution for about ten minutes; it will dissolve the rust and oxidation. You can go an extra step and then wipe them down with a clean, soft rag wetted with Lime Out full strength. Be sure to wear rubber gloves as the acid in the solution will also strip all the oils out of your skin; it won't do serious harm but your skin won't like it! Once you've wiped away all the stains, rinse the rims with plenty of water and admire your sparkly clean rims. I know this works really well 'cuz I've used it on everything chrome in need of a good cleaning!:cool!: