PDA

View Full Version : glass cleaner

bssage
08/22/2012, 11:54 AM
Another "my owners manual says" question. Again I dont have it in front of me so the wording may be different (its a 2000 manual)

The book says NOT to use glass cleaner on the interior windows due to some metal imbedded into the glass. I cant imagine just soap and water working good. But that is what the book recommends (or just plain water)

Any opinions or insider knowledge about this?

blacksambo
08/22/2012, 08:35 PM
Never heard of this, but please scan the page and share it with us. Thx

bssage
08/23/2012, 07:38 AM
Its 8-32 in the 2000 manual. I cant scan from home so I will quote.

Cleaning Tinted Glass Surfaces:
The tinted heat-reflecting glass has a metal coating on the interior side. To clean the interior side of glass, use plain water or a neutral detergent. Do Not use harsh chemicals. Wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towel that is the complete quote. nothing left out.

It was short, I think the quote is sufficient. It talks about glass cleaners in the prior instruction about general glass cleaning and they are ok for that. By omission I assume they are not OK for the tinted rear interior glass.

Bob Barker
08/23/2012, 11:06 AM
I've been told by window tint installers to never use any glass cleaners containing ammonia because it will break down the glues. Never heard anyone mention anything about metal in the tint though.

evillecutter
08/23/2012, 12:02 PM
the metal in the glass prob has something to do with the flux capacitor - i use stoners invisible glass and it works fine - tint safe too

Scott Larson
08/23/2012, 12:32 PM
Actually, if I read the Advanced Forward Base Operations Manual (AFBOM for short) correctly, the Unobtainiam in the glass is for stealth purposes...Just sayin'. :_confused

tom4bren
08/23/2012, 12:44 PM
Holy crap on a cracker!

If the 'tinted heat-reflecting glass metal coating on the interior side' comes off that easy, we don't need it no-how.

I'm just sayin.

Prolly too late for me. I've been using windex on mine religiously (twice a year) for the past 3 years.

Mile High VX
08/23/2012, 03:03 PM
Holy crap on a cracker!

If the 'tinted heat-reflecting glass metal coating on the interior side' comes off that easy, we don't need it no-how.

I'm just sayin.

Prolly too late for me. I've been using windex on mine religiously (twice a year) for the past 3 years.

At Christmas and Easter...right Tom...:yesb::yeso::yesgray:

RickOKC
08/23/2012, 04:22 PM
Most of the time I can just use a dry rag and end up with perfectly clear glass. I haven't used anything more than a light spray of water (re-used an old empty Windex bottle) & a rag on my vehicles for over a decade and it's never let me down. It takes care of dust, finger prints and the snot-hieroglyphics left by my dog. May be my imagination, but it seems to attract less gunk than anything else I've ever used so I don't have to clean them as often. For interior glass, chemicals are highly overrated IMHO - save your money! :)

bssage
08/23/2012, 05:40 PM
Ok I have a feeling some of you all are not taking me serious. Thanks rick.

One last question. After I get home from work (30 hwy miles) I have a green light on my dash that says "Cruise Main". While I do enjoy cruising main. It is beginning to get expensive. How does my car know when I am on Main?

Scott Larson
08/23/2012, 06:51 PM
...and we're not taking you serious...:rotate:

Mile High VX
08/23/2012, 07:00 PM
How does my car know when I am on Main?

It's the only paved street in Keokuk, IA....haha...my wife is from Pella so you'll excuse the IA humor.

I apologize in advance...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

RickOKC
08/23/2012, 07:01 PM
LMAO :laughing::rotate::laughing: Didn't you know owning a VX means you agreed to be tracked by satellite at all times?!?! The gubment's gotta know where all us weirdo VX fans are at all times!

Hmmm, going back to my "attracts less gunk" comment, now that I've thought about it a little more, I switched to "water only" about the same time I stopped using oily "armour all" type treatments in my interior. Maybe they were evaporating and coating the windows? :_confused For years I didn't treat the interior plastic with anything at all, but didn't really have to since my vehicles were always fairly new. Two years ago I used 303 Aerospace Protectant on the interior of my VX. It seems to dry to a hard coat (instead of remaining oily) - maybe it doesn't evaporate and "out-gas" as much. The interior plastic on the VX still looks the same as when I first applied it.

bssage
08/23/2012, 07:20 PM
It's the only paved street in Keokuk, IA....haha...my wife is from Pella so you'll excuse the IA humor.

I apologize in advance...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Wow :yesb:

But we have like 18 bar's. And we all know that is the measure of any good small town. Not the fancy high class paved roads. :bgwo:

Mile High VX
08/23/2012, 08:04 PM
Wow :yesb:

But we have like 18 bar's. And we all know that is the measure of any good small town. Not the fancy high class paved roads. :bgwo:

Sounds a lot like Tipton and Stanwood where we lived for a few years up near Cedar Rapids...back in the day...:yesgray::yesy:

VX MileHigh
08/24/2012, 06:52 AM
Sounds a lot like Tipton and Stanwood where we lived for a few years up near Cedar Rapids...back in the day...:yesgray::yesy: Mile High you are from my neck of the woods. I grew up in CR and I did some pheasent hunting out near Stanwood. A friend's family owned farms out around there. I was in Oxford over the Fourth visiting my cousin. I know the area well although I haven't lived there in more years then I want to admit.

tom4bren
08/25/2012, 06:26 AM
At Christmas and Easter...right Tom...:yesb::yeso::yesgray:

Close enough, but it's actually the weekends before Memorial Day & Labor Day if you must know.

Ok I have a feeling some of you all are not taking me serious.

I have no response to that.

Actually I did take you serious but found the the whole situation (Isuzu designers ... not yours) to be absurd to the point of hilarity. If the coating can not stand up to Windex, how did they think it would hold up to dog nose art?

I'll prolly take your sage advice in-so-far as to make sure I only use ammonia & vinegar free glass cleaner.

evillecutter
08/26/2012, 08:57 AM
i was serious too invisible glass is a great product
http://www.autogeek.net/glass-cleaner.html?productid=glass-cleaner&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CLH3tKDUhbICFYTd4AodwHMAlg

bssage
08/29/2012, 10:43 AM
I'm JK.

I always read the owners manual. If you dont you run the risk of asking a question that is in the first line of the book and looking silly.

Having a manufacturing background I understand some of the silly stuff they say typically is born out the process or testing.
The glass for example. We produced molded vent windows for the STS Seville. You would not believe how hard it is to find something to clean a window that leaves no residual oils or contaminants. We had to ban most of this stuff because it would cause disruption to downstream processes. I can see how that would make its way into the "how to care for your car" Even though the end consumer has no downstream processes to disrupt.