PDA

View Full Version : diff drop

ramathorn
08/19/2012, 10:07 PM
Anyone have a diff drop they would like to sell me?? I noticed in a couple of the forums it seemed like you just had extras laying around.. haha. Let me know!

Just looking for a 2". I have ome 912s just installed and i may have prematurely cranked my torsion bars without thought to the consequences. Poor planning, but dangit does she look good.

tom4bren
08/20/2012, 04:05 AM
email member Joe Darlington:

darlington-offroad@nc.rr.com

He's got the lead on diff drops. I have a set of unmodified brackets so lemme know if he needs them to get yours done.

Tom

xtrmes
08/20/2012, 05:21 AM
email member Joe Darlington:

darlington-offroad@nc.rr.com

He's got the lead on diff drops. I have a set of unmodified brackets so lemme know if he needs them to get yours done.

Tom

If you would like to sell these let me know. I am looking for a set that I can modify then possible make a jig so I can start making some of these.

tom4bren
08/20/2012, 05:39 AM
If you would like to sell these let me know. I am looking for a set that I can modify then possible make a jig so I can start making some of these.

If Joe doesn't need them in the next month or so, I'll let you know ... I've already given him first dibs.

Don't forget that you'll also need to offer the crossmember drops if you start selling the diff drops.

Forewarning: SOME members are not so good at returning the stock brackets for the next buyer that needs a set modified. I lost 2 sets & I know that Joe was plagued by that as well.

VXorado
08/20/2012, 08:41 AM
I have a spare set of unmodified diff brackets if anyone else needs a set after Tom's is taken.

tom4bren
08/20/2012, 09:54 AM
I have a spare set of unmodified diff brackets if anyone else needs a set after Tom's is taken.

Don't wait on me. Unload yours at the first opportunity you find.

VXorado
08/20/2012, 10:13 AM
Don't wait on me. Unload yours at the first opportunity you find.

Sounds good. I didn't want to step on your toes... ;)

Dumke
08/20/2012, 10:22 AM
If Joe doesn't need them in the next month or so, I'll let you know ... I've already given him first dibs.

Don't forget that you'll also need to offer the crossmember drops if you start selling the diff drops.

Forewarning: SOME members are not so good at returning the stock brackets for the next buyer that needs a set modified. I lost 2 sets & I know that Joe was plagued by that as well.

I would be one of those people and I am sorry :( . I fail, so please accept my apologies Tom.. NO seriously ACCEPT OR ELSE lol... Seriously will get them to you very very soon. You will have them before 2013 :p j/k

ramathorn
08/20/2012, 11:59 AM
I shot Joe an email, excited to get something rolling! Literally.

tom4bren
08/20/2012, 12:08 PM
I would be one of those people and I am sorry :( . I fail, so please accept my apologies Tom.. NO seriously ACCEPT OR ELSE lol... Seriously will get them to you very very soon. You will have them before 2013 :p j/k

No problemo ... as long as the guilt trip works:)

Joe Darlington
08/20/2012, 07:29 PM
I shot Joe an email, excited to get something rolling! Literally.
Didn't get it, try darlington-offroad@nc.rr.com

xtrmes
08/20/2012, 09:03 PM

What I am looking to do is get a set to modify then use them to make a jig so I can just build them from the jigs. Would not need any to modify.
So if anyone has a set they want to get rid of let me know. The cross members will be easy.

SilverBullet75
08/20/2012, 09:09 PM
Plug for Joe Darlington...

He does awesome work.
Both the diff drop brackets and the cross-member are designed, welded, and finished very well.

My front axles are now horizontal, and I have no issues.

ramathorn
08/21/2012, 12:12 AM
I sent another email, perhaps I've already managed to find a spot in your junk email.. haha

tom4bren
08/21/2012, 05:15 AM
What I am looking to do is get a set to modify then use them to make a jig so I can just build them from the jigs. Would not need any to modify.
So if anyone has a set they want to get rid of let me know. The cross members will be easy.

Understood ... but ... that means that whoever needs a set will have their VX up on blocks for a week or two waiting on the turn around + shipping time. That's what the spare sets were intended to avoid.

It'd prolly be worth digging up old posts on the subject. There were 2 other alternatives for the modification. Zeus had a novel approach that he used since he had an old Jeep bumper that donated material with the same curve as the diff bracket. Another member (sorry, can't remember who) cut off the arm from the bracket and welded it back on at a different offset. IIRC, that also rotated the axle when installed (good thing/bad thing???).

Ldub
08/21/2012, 06:27 AM
It'd prolly be worth digging up old posts on the subject. There were 2 other alternatives for the modification.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19299

Joe Darlington
08/21/2012, 01:34 PM
I sent another email, perhaps I've already managed to find a spot in your junk email.. haha

thats where it was, now have 2 emails...lol

xtrmes
08/21/2012, 04:48 PM
Understood ... but ... that means that whoever needs a set will have their VX up on blocks for a week or two waiting on the turn around + shipping time. That's what the spare sets were intended to avoid.

It'd prolly be worth digging up old posts on the subject. There were 2 other alternatives for the modification. Zeus had a novel approach that he used since he had an old Jeep bumper that donated material with the same curve as the diff bracket. Another member (sorry, can't remember who) cut off the arm from the bracket and welded it back on at a different offset. IIRC, that also rotated the axle when installed (good thing/bad thing???).

Not sure your understanding what I am planning is making complete new brackets. The buyer wouldn't have to send me anything. I need the stock brackets so I can make a jig once its modified then I wouldn't need the stock brackets to modify.
I took some measurements on mine and yes I was planning on degreeing them to the drop.

tom4bren
08/22/2012, 05:53 AM
Not sure your understanding what I am planning is making complete new brackets. The buyer wouldn't have to send me anything. I need the stock brackets so I can make a jig once its modified then I wouldn't need the stock brackets to modify.
I took some measurements on mine and yes I was planning on degreeing them to the drop.

Wow, whole new diff brackets. Interesting. I'm not sure it'll be cost effective but I'm sure there'll be interest in that.

I'll have to see if I can dig up the source CSTYLES & I found for the bushings. IIRC, they were about $8 & you'll need 4 for each set.

I'm not a big fan of indexing the brackets since it'll put your U-Joints at different angles (phase) on the driveshaft. I'll be interested in seeing how it works out for you.

xtrmes
08/22/2012, 03:32 PM
Wow, whole new diff brackets. Interesting. I'm not sure it'll be cost effective but I'm sure there'll be interest in that.

I'll have to see if I can dig up the source CSTYLES & I found for the bushings. IIRC, they were about $8 & you'll need 4 for each set.

I'm not a big fan of indexing the brackets since it'll put your U-Joints at different angles (phase) on the driveshaft. I'll be interested in seeing how it works out for you.

Thanks that would save me some time looking for bushings. As far as indexing the axle it shouldn't have any effect on the drive shaft except give it a better angle for the U-joint. Not sure why you wouldn't be a fan of it. I have been doing it on every front axle I have built for many years.

Triathlete
08/22/2012, 10:17 PM
Don't know if it makes a differance or not but our front driveshaft has a CV on one end (axle side).

xtrmes
08/23/2012, 05:12 AM
Don't know if it makes a differance or not but our front driveshaft has a CV on one end (axle side).

Yes it does and as with any CV joint the less angle it runs at the happier it will be.

VXorado
08/23/2012, 09:27 AM
Yes it does and as with any CV joint the less angle it runs at the happier it will be.

...and the rubber boot can rip if you don't index the axle. I didn't index with my 2" diff drop and the drive shaft boot ripped shortly after.

tom4bren
08/23/2012, 12:31 PM
Not sure why you wouldn't be a fan of it. I have been doing it on every front axle I have built for many years.

It's the issue of having 2 U-Joints on the same shaft but at different angles ... it'd be very easy to introduce a vibration ... but ... read below.

Dang, I forgetted that (rekin I don't spend enough time under my VX). Having a CV on one end should make indexing the diff work out just fine.

...and the rubber boot can rip if you don't index the axle. I didn't index with my 2" diff drop and the drive shaft boot ripped shortly after.

I'm thinking that boot is sorta like a crap shoot (like our axle CV boots). Increasing the angle with a diff drop (like the axle CVs when we lift) without indexing would probably be OK for 90% of us & the rest get a torn boot out of the process.

Lucky you!!!:)