PDA

View Full Version : PV muffler noise at speed?

drdavidr4u
10/16/2003, 03:24 PM
Excuse me for asking...but being a noobie I'd like to know how cockpit noise with windows up increases and by how much....with any of these muffler systems including the PV.

Anyone who can remember how quiet their truck was at 60mph windows up and now with PV's at 60 mph...hows is the difference?

Thanks!!;Do;

AlaskaVX
10/16/2003, 03:38 PM
Its louder for sure, if your looking for a quiet ride then you probobally don't want to do it. The sound wasn't too overpowering but it was loud. It could be pretty annoying at times, especially when it wasn't warmed up. But once I added the supercharger it sounds awesome! Yeah, its still somewhat loud but its a deeper more powerful loud and I love it! I get an extra mpg with the PV muffler

drdavidr4u
10/16/2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info... I guess the best test for me would be to ride the highway in someone elses at a future meet and see how loud it is!

I do like the idea of the more agressive sound, but also love my classical music with those soft gentle passes....I'm wondering if I would not be able to hear that well at 60 MPH!!!!

I love my new VX...the aftermarket world leaves a lot to explore!!!!

Heraclid
10/16/2003, 04:32 PM
Wow... classical music, eh? Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not what I picture with a VX. But maybe Ride of the Valkyries or the William Tell Overture. :yeso:

Just purchased a set of BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A tires, and they are a little noisy, but not bad at all. But I wonder how that and a PV together would be. Of course, I'm sure you'd probably never hear the tires for the PV. LOL! I have noticed that just with the tires I don't hear the engine so much except under hard acceleration. I definitely like the sound of the PV though... VX1 had one in Ocala that sounded great, and then with being around Skullcap's in Uwharrie, that pretty much sealed the deal... I'm getting one of those! :-) What I like about it is that it rumbles. This is not a whiny, dare I say "ricey" exhaust. And it is not just loud... it is a rich, deep sound. It is more reminiscent of what you'd hear from a Trans Am with that rumble coming right from the headers. It sounds authentic - not like it's all from the muffler/tip, and you can usually tell the difference. This is real close to sounding like the rumble originates before the muffler. I give it two thumbs up. :-)

Joe_Black
10/16/2003, 05:21 PM
Well, the VX's acoustics (and the stock sound system) isn't very conducive to what most maestro's intended the cultured ear to appreciate. That's why there's DYNAMAT! This is a great mod to give you greater insights into the finer moments from Berlioz to Pachebel or those hippies that hung around Rossi's Circle. Many have tackled the Dynamat mod full on by completely disassembling their interiors and spending a weeking getting roller's elbow. I have a nasty perfectionist streak which puts things like this out of reach until I know I have more than enough time to do it right. Fortunately I've made friends from this forum like Johnnyapollo, who suggested the fantastic idea of doing a section at a time. So, when my PV arrives (which I ordered thanks to exposure from VX1, Johnnyapollo and Skullcap) I'll knock out two doors. Then on a another weekend it'll be the rear quarters. Later I'll do the rear door. Possibly next will be the roof. Etcetera etcetera, until it's all done. That way I can plan other related mods to happen with the Dynamat section. It may take a bit longer, but I'll love the VX more and be happier with the quality of my un-rushed work. I've gotten over my head with auto projects before and ended up resenting an otherwise innocent vehicle just 'cause I bit off more than I could chew.

Anita
10/16/2003, 06:09 PM
David, if you are talking about the softest passages of a Chopin etude or a Mozart sonata, you may not want a PV.

I dont mind the PV volume and half the music I listen to is classical. I think the loudest it really gets is when the throttle is pretty engaged - like going up a incline. On a straight away its not too bad.

Most PV owners will tell you that the sound mellows with time. Dynamating is a great mod to do in any event. I havent done it yet -- not skilled for that kind of job.

Dallas4u
10/16/2003, 07:12 PM
Love the sound... especially after the break-in. Strong like bull

Inaba
10/16/2003, 07:12 PM
I have a PV catback system... I and my girlfriend think it's too loud and sounds ricey.

Oddly, howver, we are the only two who think this. Everyone else, including my parents (!?!) think it sounds fine and it's not too loud.

I have no idea what my point is... but I personally don't like the PV sound on the VX, it's too ricey... but everyone else I know likes it. So take that for what it's worth! :)

Joe_Black
10/16/2003, 07:45 PM
It just occured to me what the PV sounds like, and in a way it's kinda ricey. It really sounds a lot like my '73 Kawasaki Z1 with the Kerker 4 into 1, no baffle and a 2" competition cap. Throaty, snarly and aggressive... not at all like an import buzz can.

Just my auditory $.02

VehiX
10/16/2003, 08:34 PM
I have had my PV installed for several thousand miles now and this is my insight on it.

When the engine is cool the PV is loud and "raspy"

When the engine has reached operating temps the PV sounds mean and has a nice growl to it. Sort of like a V6 mustang.

I suspect that most folks with the PV installed, have retained the stock exhaust tip. I feel the tone can be changed with the right tip :)

LETS GO RED SOX!!!!!

johnnyapollo
10/17/2003, 04:12 AM
I agree with Vehix. I've got the catback with the "wheezinator" tip. The first two weeks were awful - with the strange "whooshing" sound at speed (the wheeze). This stopped after a couple of weeks. The next week or two the catback was obnoxious tending towards the "ricer" fake exhaust sound at WOT. This has mellowed to a growl described by Vehix above. I really like the sound now, it's mostly noticeable in the parking garage and at initial startup. During regular driving it's louder than stock, but not obnoxious. The tone is deeper than the rice rockets we have around here, which have a tinn-y echoing sound due to the large exhaust tip. Skullcap has the stock tip with the catback2, and I thought it was too loud - sounded like someone with a hole in his exhaust or manifold. But he likes it so to each his own.

-- John

VR4-Quest
10/17/2003, 07:58 AM
Are there pics somewher of the CATBACK system, I want to see what the tip looks like. I know tones site has a link to PV mufflers, but it doesnt give details for a Vehicross or pictures, right? Need some more info before buying one.
Thanks!

Dallas4u
10/17/2003, 08:44 AM
I'll chime in since I've an original PV series 1 on for, jeez, almost 2 years maybe? Anyway, I was thinking about the sound this morning when I started the VX, let it warm up for a minute or two, then started driving. I wish I had a way to record the sound for everyone because mine in no way sounds ricey... not at all.

There is a young, scrawny, blue haired punk down the street on the side of my house, who drives a '93 or so Civic, unpainted body panels, ricey exhaust. He could go 5 miles an hour in 1st gear, and the thing sounds like it's about to explode. THAT thing is rice.

Anyway, back to the PV sound. I was listening this morning, and seriously... compared to the 5zigen, Greddy, Apexi, and many other import exhausts out there, this thing sounds meaty. I don't have the PV 2 with the wheezinator (or without), but I can tell you mine sounds like it fits the VX comparably. It is truck sounding, somewhat deep, throaty sound... especially good for the size of the truck.

WormGod
10/17/2003, 10:23 AM
I whole heartedly agree Dallas (geez, it seems in every other post this week, I have somehow been agreeing with you on whatever.... great minds think alike I guess ;) ). I have had the PV for nearly 18 months now and it definately seems to have gotten more throaty as time went on. Mind you, I dont have the catback, just the PV. Only the muffler was available when I got mine.

I think someone a long while back said it sounded like someone gurgling peanut butter, heh. Well, it doesnt have that Detroit growl, but it does growl.

ScottinMA
10/17/2003, 04:46 PM
I bought the catback...installed it...didn't like it....cut the tip off...put a wider diameter tip on it...didn't like it even more (it resonated at 40 mph like a bottle) and sold the damn thing. Put the OEM back in...nice an quiet but had appreciated the sound of a friends VX with the PV version 1 muffler and started again. Bought the PV muffler only..took the OEM off and installed it. No bottle effect..just a good sound and now with the SC..a necessity! Thanks to CatmanV now a.k.a VX man for the ride with the PV original.

AnalogVX
10/17/2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by drdavidr4u
Thanks for the info... I guess the best test for me would be to ride the highway in someone elses at a future meet and see how loud it is!

I do like the idea of the more agressive sound, but also love my classical music with those soft gentle passes....I'm wondering if I would not be able to hear that well at 60 MPH!!!!

I love my new VX...the aftermarket world leaves a lot to explore!!!!

Better get a couple amplifiers for the sound system.;)