PDA

View Full Version : There she goes!!

crager34
08/06/2012, 04:40 PM
Loss of power while driving on Sunday, so I pulled over and had her towed home. Took it to the mechanic this morning and they said (can't remember all of it) massive blow by, can't keep oil behind the valves... something like that. In short: Looks like a new engine or a re-build.

Been thinking about getting a different ride anyway, so this was the kick I needed. Looks like I will be getting a Nissan Juke. Lots of good to great reviews and I like my cars with personality. This, like the VX is very unique looking.

Not sure what I will do with the VX. Going to put it in the garage and contemplate. This is my second one and I have had some good fun with it. I like the idea of the recent engine swaps, so maybe I'll go that way or if someone wants to make a decent offer... I could go that way too.

Sucks though.

MSHardeman
08/06/2012, 04:53 PM
Sorry to hear about you engine troubles Darrin. I'm, sort of, going through the same thing as you right now. Have no compression in cylinder three and when air is pumped into the cylinder you can hear the oil bubbling through the dipstick tube, so I have an issue with the cylinder or the piston which means I need to replace the whole engine

It sounds like your issues are in the heads so you might be able to get away with just getting some new/rebuilt heads. You could have a burnt valve (or two), which means that they aren't sealing to the heads, thereby letting the oil blow by them. You could also have some carbon build up on the valves that isn't allowing them to seal properly. OR, you might just have a blown head gasket (others will have to weigh in on that). Are you seeing any blue smoke in your exhaust, or is there oil on the engine where it shouldn't be?

crager34
08/06/2012, 05:22 PM
You could have a burnt valve (or two), which means that they aren't sealing to the heads, thereby letting the oil blow by them. You could also have some carbon build up on the valves that isn't allowing them to seal properly. OR, you might just have a blown head gasket (others will have to weigh in on that).

Most of what you just said here Mark, is what they told me with the exception of the blown head gasket. I've been reading about your issues and am sorry to hear about. She was one of the best looking I have ever seen IMHO.

I have tried to be a preventative maintenance freak with mine and just recently had all the fluids changed out..... ALL!! So, was a bit surprised to have this happen rather suddenly.

Thanks for the support Mark and hope to run into you again someday.

djvx
08/06/2012, 09:38 PM
You list Milwaukee as your location. I been here forever and never seen you around. Never even knew you from on this site. Unless I have and my memory is shot:_thinking. Anyway very sorry to hear about your VX. Hope you decide to get it back on the road, how many miles were on it?

crager34
08/07/2012, 04:20 AM
Had just clocked over 175,000. There was a thread about having a meet up here that we all talked about briefly....noting came of it though.

tom4bren
08/07/2012, 04:58 AM
Dang. Sorry to hear about that. Glad you are looking at it as an opportunity though instead of an 'Oh, woe is me' moment.

MSHardeman
08/07/2012, 08:45 AM
Most of what you just said here Mark, is what they told me with the exception of the blown head gasket. I've been reading about your issues and am sorry to hear about. She was one of the best looking I have ever seen IMHO.

I have tried to be a preventative maintenance freak with mine and just recently had all the fluids changed out..... ALL!! So, was a bit surprised to have this happen rather suddenly.

Thanks for the support Mark and hope to run into you again someday.

Thanks for the sentiments Darrin. Been in search of a rebuilt engine so Vicki will be back on the road and in better shape than ever very soon.

I've been a preventative maintenance freak too, and always babied the engine (rarely going over 3500 rpm's). I guess some of these engines are just destined to let go no matter how well they are taken care of.

Good luck with your issues and let us know what you end up doing. Don't be a stranger.

I'm sure we'll cross paths again in the future. I'm still out here in Colorado and you're always welcome to come on out for a little skiing and/or boarding.