PDA

View Full Version : shocks

vehiXrs
08/06/2012, 07:14 AM
Are the stock duel chambered that much better & worth the $ over the adjustable rancho shocks?

circmand
08/06/2012, 07:29 AM
on what you use your VX for. If you are into high speed 4 wheeling yes. Regular driving. no

SlowPro48
08/07/2012, 03:51 PM
From what I've read on this site, the Ranchos don't have as much rebound damping as the OEM shocks - so if you want your VX to handle as well as it did with the Kayabas then stick with them.

There's no need to pay the ridiculous price they want for new ones though - the OEMs are fully rebuildable. But if yours haven't been leaking fluid then you might want to try just recharging them with nitrogen first. They are the floating piston type (i.e., no bladder) and unfortunatley corrosion develops in the area where the N2 reservoir cap seals and N2 leaks past the o-ring. When the pressure gets low, cavitation becomes a problem. The fluid gets full of bubbles so the shocks can't provide much damping. Pump them back up to 250psi to keep the cavitation/air bubbles at bay and they'll work like new though.

I've got over 125K on my original fluid and, although it's starting to thin out, it's still good enough for driving around in the flatlands - but I'm having to add N2 every year...

vehiXrs
08/08/2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the input, unfortunately when I bought my stock VX the stock dual stage were long gone, only the ranchos remain.