PDA

View Full Version : Petersen's 4wheel & Offroad Magazine article

H3_VX
08/05/2012, 04:08 AM
Just got my Oct 2012 issue of P4WO and there is a section called "4x4s To Avoid." To make a long story short, the VX is on the list. :( Anyone else see it? It basically slams the VXs' cargo capacity, lack of aftermarket support, lack of easily found oem parts, the IFS, and its styling.....saying it looks like a cross between a playschool toy and reebok high tops. It sucks because they slam the VX and Hummers in the same article. I'm not too shook up about though cause I realize P4WO is a Jeep magazine which caters to mostly Jeep readers.

Marlin
08/05/2012, 08:11 AM
But they do bring up valid points. The VX is the ugly baby of the car world, I love it, but I am the parent:)

Y33TREKker
08/05/2012, 09:42 AM
...It basically slams the VXs' cargo capacity, lack of aftermarket support, lack of easily found oem parts, the IFS, and its styling.....saying it looks like a cross between a playschool toy and reebok high tops....I'm not too shook up about though cause I realize P4WO is a Jeep magazine which caters to mostly Jeep readers.
I agree with Marlin. Objectively speaking, they make some valid points about the practical aspects of the VX.

But, it sure makes a person wonder what the overall purpose of the review is when they start including more negative subjective opinions about what it looks like.....like the Jeep always has and always will be the beauty queen of the four-wheel-drive world. ;)

RabidPony
08/05/2012, 09:45 AM
A Jeep Wrangler isn't exactly a marvel of modern aesthetics nor does it have an over abundance of cargo space. I will concede to the lack of aftermarket and oem support though. All it comes down to is, do you want to be like everyone else and have your little cookie cutter off-roader, or do you want to be different?

H3_VX
08/05/2012, 03:04 PM
A Jeep Wrangler isn't exactly a marvel of modern aesthetics nor does it have an over abundance of cargo space. I will concede to the lack of aftermarket and oem support though. All it comes down to is, do you want to be like everyone else and have your little cookie cutter off-roader, or do you want to be different?

x2, most of the things I do in my life revolve around trying to be different. (i.e. I will never own a Toyota Corolla or a Ford F-150)

evillecutter
08/05/2012, 04:16 PM
i love playschool toys and reebok hi-tops - whoever wrote this article has some serious closet vx envy

VXorado
08/05/2012, 05:36 PM
The editor probably drives a wrangler because someone told him it was best. If one word could sum him up... it would be "boring" or "unoriginal."

Don't fret H3, its good to be different. :)

89Vette
08/05/2012, 10:00 PM
Don't forget most -- if not all rags -- cater to advertising/sales. They say what they think the readers want to hear. This keeps sales up.

That said, I have fairly good basis for an accurate comparison. Before buying my VX, I owned 4 Jeeps: an 89 Cherokee Limited, 91 2-dr Laredo, 97 Grand Cherokee Limited, and 98 Grand Cherokee Limited (V8).

The 98 Grand was king of the hill in performance. Probably not surprising when you see people converting their Vehicrosses to a bigger engine. I would too -- if given a reasonably priced opportunity.

The VX is comparable to the 89 and 97 (I6 w/AWD). The 91 was slightly better -- especially in responsiveness. This shouldn't be surprising considering it was OVER 1000 lbs lighter. (Which one would you want to be in -- in a crash? :winkgray:)

All Jeeps have more room, better rear seat access, and better visibility. But, that's where their advantage ends -- at least to me.

The guys that like(d) big-azz 4x4s with giant tires will be more impressed with bigger, jacked up, off-road vehicle. Size matters. As such, they'll barely notice Grand Cherokees and sneer at regular ones.

But, the VX is more than either. Hopefully, it does become a collector in the next 10 years. Even if not, it's looks are better than the rest. (Sorta wish the front were a hair different though.)

But, the ride is solid, the 4x4 sturdy, and it's rarity trumps the rest. Really, so does it's differential. (Grand's all seem to have bad differential's by the time they're 5-6yrs old.) And, they can be expensive/unreliable.

I avoided 2000-up Grand's because of differential, timing-chain, and electrical problem. (Let's say I avoided them AFTER seeing the problems in every unit for sale....IOW, I saw it first hand!)

Cherokees (and Wranglers) are the only Jeep worth owning. Even then, they are boring boxes with nothing more to offer than grandparent-like reliability. They're the boring Buick of the 4x4 world.

The VX was the early Corvette of SUVs. As such, it should go down in history. At least as much as American's will allow a foreign car to go.

BTW...I also wouldn't mind having the Select-Trac (out of my 91) in my Vehicross. I think it would pick up some speed AND some MPG. Plus, the gearbox would be gone.

In the end, it's far from a truck to avoid. That is, unless you're a weany and can't deal with what it takes to own something special -- that's unlike anything else.

If you're Vanilla and reading this, go by a Jeep. Have at it.

Y33TREKker
08/06/2012, 06:55 AM
...If you're Vanilla and reading this, go by a Jeep. Have at it.
Are you in effect saying that where Jeeps are considered Vanilla, the VX would be more like Rocky Road? :bwgy:

pbkid
08/06/2012, 09:22 AM
They do make valid points with lack of aftermarket support, and lack of cargo space. But I find it funny that an offroad magazine is bashing a car for lack of cargo, or aestetics, because we all know how CRUTIAL those two things are to offroad prowess. Haha.

Sure wish I could get one of those editors in my old passenger seat in moab for a week. Leave em some stains in his drawers on the trail, then again on the paved road home ;)

Hmm maybe a challenge letter is in order... See if one of those guys can ride shotgun without being impressed, either on paved road, dirt road or on the rocks...

blacksambo
08/06/2012, 09:03 PM
Why would they write a article criticizing a fifteen year old vehicle if they were not worried about it still being a threat? That alone says watch out for the VX!

djvx
08/06/2012, 09:18 PM
I got a few issues of Peterson's Offroad Magazine around here somewhere. If I post their mail in address for "Readers Pics" would you all be willing to send them a pic & a brief story on why your VX is no 4x4 to avoid. We gotta all do this together.

ND92
08/06/2012, 09:32 PM
would you all be willing to send them a pic & a brief story on why your VX is no 4x4 to avoid
Im in :thumbup:
overload their e-mail with pics and stories

blacksambo
08/07/2012, 05:44 AM
No problem. This type of action could work, to further scare them.

Y33TREKker
08/07/2012, 09:13 AM
If I post their mail in address for "Readers Pics" would you all be willing to send them a pic & a brief story on why your VX is no 4x4 to avoid.
Why bother?

To paraphrase their own philosophy, "It's a VX thing...they wouldn't understand."

Gussie2000
08/07/2012, 05:27 PM
I wonder how they expect the VX to have a lot of cargo space when the VX is built on a short wheel base frame. ?

Plus the VX is not a pick up truck,is not a family-friendly vehicule and above all " IS NOT A JEEP"

blacksambo
08/07/2012, 07:20 PM
I wonder how they expect the VX to have a lot of cargo space when the VX is built on a short wheel base frame. ?

Plus the VX is not a pick up truck,is not a family-friendly vehicule and above all " IS NOT A JEEP"

Yah! And a Jeep CJ still does and always will look like a toaster.

Y33TREKker
08/07/2012, 08:27 PM
Walked out of a convenience store today to find a Jeep owner admiring my VX in the parking lot. I didn't make fun of his Jeep or anything. Take that P4WO.