PDA

View Full Version : body off?

givegodachance
08/03/2012, 09:27 AM
Do you have to take the body off to do a engine replacement in a 99 vx?

MSHardeman
08/03/2012, 09:53 AM
I hope not.:eek: Maybe that's why the quote to replace my engine seems so high.

Seriously, though, you do not have to remove the body to replace the engine. Need to unbolt it from the transmission, and to be safe you should probably remove, or at least protect, the radiator because it's a close fit between the radiator and the fan (maybe remove the fan for more clearance?). Disconnect EVERYTHING else (wires, radiator hoses, exhaust manifolds, vaccuum lines, etc) then pull that sucker out. Maybe remove the hood too to give you a little more room to work.

I know a few here have replaced their engines (Buffy comes to mind) so hopefully they will have something more constructive to say.

Here's a really good write up by Buffy when he took the engine out of his: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18749

VX crazy
08/03/2012, 07:19 PM
Do you have to take the body off to do a engine replacement in a 99 vx?

Yes but only on the 99's......... Post pics along the way!

rsteinmetz70112
08/03/2012, 07:20 PM
What changed in 2000?

atilla_the_fun
08/03/2012, 07:40 PM
Im 99.9% sure he is joking about the 99' comment.

Actually, there is a youtube video of a shop who did remove the body to do an engine rebuild. It would be great if you can get the wiring separated, but seems like a lot of work.

Triathlete
08/03/2012, 08:10 PM
If I was doing it I would remove the hood, fenders, grill and radiator for room, ease snd prevent damage. No need for body removal.

Dmitrikr
08/03/2012, 08:15 PM
job is pretty straight forward- follow repair manual and mark all bolts you remove - will make job simple to put it back together. When I did engine swap on mine it took good 16 hours to remove old one and put new one in, fluids flush&fill, etc.