PDA

View Full Version : I need HELP PLEASE!

Gh0sT
08/01/2012, 10:35 PM
bought a 2000 VX with no motor,
got a used engine form the salvage compression tested good,tore it down and took it to the machine shop. Turns out the crank is 60k off on the number one rod and main bearings,so i went to the auction and found a 2001 isuzu rodeo 4x4 clean no leaks great running engine with 166k,i though i could swap the engine out but the rodeo didnt make it home from the auction tranny went out.
So i bought a 1999 rodeo tranny from a friend
and decided to fix the rodeo sell it and buy a new long block for the VX
but it seems nothing will interchange with these parts, does anyone have any advice?
the 01 rodeo has 4 mulex plugs white,black,blue,and green
the black is a 16 wire on the VX but a 12 wire on the 01 rodeo,16 wire on the 99 rodeo
and the two sensors on the driverside of the tranny are wierd too
the vx and the 99 rodeo have a 5 wire round on the left a 4 wire square on the right,
the 01 rodeo has the four wire square on the left and a 6 wire round on the right,
at my witts end just want My Vx up and running
really need help guys
thanks
G
left side is

VX KAT
08/02/2012, 12:17 AM
Lots of knowledgable members on here, numerous threads and info on engine swapping....what's compatible etc....all on this forum.

Use the search function and you should find many of them. Lots of info to read up on.
A few have successfully installed an Isuzu Axion engine

This owner did the first successful Axiom swap. He sold it and is no longer active here.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14775&highlight=iamironman

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=engine+swap+axiom

From just last month, owner currently making decision on which engine to install:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22836

Starting at post #6:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16157&highlight=built+2000

HTH

MSHardeman
08/02/2012, 08:38 AM
G, as VX Kat posted above, I am in the middle of having to put a new engine in my VX so I've done a little research on this subject. As far as I can tell any 6VE1 engine block will fit in our VX's. Those blocks were in Rodeos, Troopers, Honda Passports, Acura SLX's, and the '02-'03 Isuzu Axioms. The Axiom engines need to have an 'X' designation in the eighth number of the VIN in order to work with our transmissions.

There is also a 3.2L version of our engine that the VX's in the rest of the world got and a few here have found that those drop right in too.

Also, don't know if this helps or tempts you, but a couple of people here have installed an AR5 5-speed manual transmission out of a '98-'99 Trooper in their VX's.

Good luck with your engine search and let me know if I can do anything to help you out.

rsteinmetz70112
08/02/2012, 09:22 AM
A little more information about the engine and transmission in the Rodeo would help, expecially the exact model numbers from the vehicles.

It appears from a quick check the 2001 Rodeo had 2 different engine options a 2.2 liter or the 3.2 liter similar to the engine in the VX. There were options for manual or automatic transmission and 4x4 with the 3.2. The 2.2 had manual and automatic transmissions.

I'm not sure if the Rodeo had the Torque on demand system like the VX and the Trooper

evillecutter
08/02/2012, 11:45 AM
if im not mistaken ive read a few different times that the 3.2l engines that went into the jdm models didnt have tod at all - they were rear wheel drive or 4 wheel low only - i dont see why the engine wouldn't work but i would think the brain would be a bit different - might not even speak english

PK
08/02/2012, 05:21 PM
if im not mistaken ive read a few different times that the 3.2l engines that went into the jdm models didnt have tod at all - they were rear wheel drive or 4 wheel low only - i dont see why the engine wouldn't work but i would think the brain would be a bit different - might not even speak english

Well you can put that down to mis-informed BS.

The JDM VX vehicles all have TOD, we just have the added pleasure to be able to select 2wd only, TOD, and 4wd Low range.
I typically drive in 2wd unless I am in a hurry on a wet road.
TOD comes in handy stopping wheel spin off the lights, and helps pull you around the corners.

I think the only difference is a switch on the TOD selector lever, but I can't find a JDM wiring diagram to prove it.

PK

Gh0sT
08/02/2012, 09:19 PM
Tanks A Bunch Guys For all the Input,
I Talked to the Guys At LKQ Keystone,
They Say The 98-99 Rodeo's And 99 VX's Are Compatable
But The 00-02 Rodeo's Are Not Compatable
So In Short The 99 Rodeo Tranny Won't Work In A 01 Rodeo or VX
They Have a 01 Rodeo Tranny For $1000
Already Have A buyer For The Rodeo
I Will Post Pics Of The Build
Thanks Again
G

evillecutter
08/03/2012, 06:41 AM
Well you can put that down to mis-informed BS.

The JDM VX vehicles all have TOD, we just have the added pleasure to be able to select 2wd only, TOD, and 4wd Low range.
I typically drive in 2wd unless I am in a hurry on a wet road.
TOD comes in handy stopping wheel spin off the lights, and helps pull you around the corners.

I think the only difference is a switch on the TOD selector lever, but I can't find a JDM wiring diagram to prove it.

PK

thanks for clearing that up pk and sorry if my bad information got in anyones way - i wish mine had that option im thinking all that grabbing by the front wheels when its not totally necessary has got to cause worse gas milage - with most street driving i feel like its just slowing me down

PK
08/03/2012, 02:10 PM
thanks for clearing that up pk and sorry if my bad information got in anyones way - i wish mine had that option im thinking all that grabbing by the front wheels when its not totally necessary has got to cause worse gas milage - with most street driving i feel like its just slowing me down

No problems my friend.

There is a definite difference driving in TOD and just 2wd.
It takes me less than 100 yards to realise I left the lever in TOD last time I drove.
Noise level is worse in TOD (still not bad, but definitely different), and VX corners differently.
I think there would be a slight difference in fuel consumption, but have never tested it. Free wheeling hubs should make even more difference, but I haven't got around to finding any yet.

PK

blacksambo
08/03/2012, 09:13 PM
The USA VX was the cream of the crop. Full-time TOD, so it would handle well enough to use its very advanced shock absorbers to their specified max. Also, to slow down fast enough 60 to zero in approx. 100 feet. Without the full-time TOD, the USA version would not have been worth building; the automotive press would have tore it apart. Sort of like their scathing reviews of the BMW x6. Viewed largely as worthless, due poor on/off road performance (merely a styling excersise, etc..).

evillecutter
08/06/2012, 01:04 PM
seems like they would have made the full time an option too ya know? - like a 3 way switch - full time tod, full rear, or low 4wd - but then again they also should have made it to where the windows rolled up properly and the seat slides foreward enough to get in the back and to where the seat belt doesnt get stuck in the door when you slam it and the cd changer doesnt jam if you hit a bump and the....

tom4bren
08/07/2012, 04:56 AM
... im thinking all that grabbing by the front wheels when its not totally necessary has got to cause worse gas milage - with most street driving i feel like its just slowing me down

I installed WARN hubs on mine. It makes much less of a difference in mpg than you would think.

I did not turn off the TOD though since mine has a problem where it turns itself off after 10 minutes of driving anyways.