PDA

View Full Version : MagnetBra -- Yay or Nay????

JAMAS
07/27/2012, 07:32 AM
I did a forum search for "Magnet Bra" and have read several mixed reviews. What is the current general consensus? Should I buy one or not?

Some people indicate that they bubble and the bubbles are permanent.

Sue indicated that it might fly off at highway speeds.

But other folks indicate that it is awesome. Looks great and no issues installing.

VX KAT
07/27/2012, 08:06 AM
I did a forum search for "Magnet Bra" and have read several mixed reviews. What is the current general consensus? Should I buy one or not?

Some people indicate that they bubble and the bubbles are permanent.

Sue indicated that it might fly off at highway speeds.

But other folks indicate that it is awesome. Looks great and no issues installing.

:mbrasd::mbrasd:...that might have something to do with me forgetting to put the edging piece on....you know, the one that holds it on!!.....:mbrasd::mbrasd:

I love the MagnetBra....it stays put, never moves. It doesn't scratch my paint at all. I apply that heavyduty Collinite Insulator wax a few times a year there, and it's perfect under there. I also go thru the automatic car wash with it no prob. I leave it on for at least 4 months w/o even checking it or anything. Even in my dusty climate, no dirt gets under there.

However, it DOES DENT, so you can't bend it sharply or drop anything on it. After the flyaway, I had to buy a new one because it got all scratched and dented up from all the road debris it landed on....

The seller was really nice and gave me a small "you are so stupid" discount when I ordered my replacement. :goof:

Installing it is easy...but you do have to have a really nice warm/hot sunny day to get it heated up. Then it stretches a little bit when you're installing and fits like a glove. Hairdryer would work also, but sun is easier and more uniform.

That front edging piece has metal in it, so you bend it to the SHAPE of the front, AND you also then use pliers to PINCH the track tight after you put it on. That way it stays nice and tight. Just gotta be careful with the plies not to scratch or pinch the bra.

Probably no surprise here, but I use 303 on it and it looks great. :thumbup:

JAMAS
07/27/2012, 08:24 AM
I think you should get a check from 303 every time you mention them :)

Based on your comments, I will "un-cancel" my order. I placed the order then read more threads and panicked.

VXorado
07/27/2012, 08:41 AM
I don't have one but think they look great. As with any hood bra, you just have to keep the underside clean.

I'll get one for my VX if I ever remove the black vinyl from the hood. On a side note, vinyl wrap is also chip resistant. :bgwo:

JAMAS
07/27/2012, 10:45 AM
the instructions say to remove and clean underneath every month. Does the Re-Install take as much effort, or is it an easy thing after the initial install?

whitebreadx
07/27/2012, 11:49 AM
Well i have one on my vx and as long as you put the time in to putting the bra on, you wont have any issues just it takes a little time. Remember, every time you wash your car to always take the bra off. when it is off wax the hood and then clean the bra its self and you'll never have any problems. ive had mine for a year now and i love it.
glhf

JAMAS
07/27/2012, 12:07 PM
Well i have one on my vx and as long as you put the time in to putting the bra on, you wont have any issues just it takes a little time. Remember, every time you wash your car to always take the bra off. when it is off wax the hood and then clean the bra its self and you'll never have any problems. ive had mine for a year now and i love it.
glhf

When you remove for car washes and then reapply, does it take the same level of precision, heating, etc as it does the first time?

VX KAT
07/27/2012, 12:13 PM
the instructions say to remove and clean underneath every month. Does the Re-Install take as much effort, or is it an easy thing after the initial install?

yeah, it wouldn't hurt to remove it monthly, but honestly, I don't and it's been fine. When I take it off, I test to see if the Insulator wax is still beading, and it is.....so i give it a new swip of wax and back on it goes.

But, like Jon said, (and I should have mentioned) YOU MUST keep the back side CLEAN. When it's off the truck, I keep it in on a shelf in a closet where nothing can touch it (plus I try to keep it laying basically flat).

If something does gets under there, you'll see a little raised dimple on the top surface, and sometimes it remains even if dirt particle was removed.
You called that a "bubble"...but it's not the magnet material separating from the back, it's actually a raised area due to a particle on the back.

To wax the hood, once all I did was have hubby flip half of it back, damp mopped the back, then washed and waxed paint area, then did the same on the other side. I have not had ANY scratching or marring of my paint....and I have taken it thru the carwash probably 10 times.

I've also kept it on non-stop thru my 2 week "see America" trip and also it stays on all thru my Moab off-roading (and that's a LOT of dust), with no damage or problems.

If dust, dirt gets on it while in storage, I use a slightly damp sponge to gently BLOT the back and remove the dirt.

I also use a WET sponge to blot the front to remove bugs and stuff. Then apply 303, then wipe it with a microfiber towel. 303 will allow fingerprints if not wiped down.

I'm making this sound much harder than it is...it's not hard to keep it in good shape. For what I consider to be VERY reasonable, I'd just buy another new one for $50 if this one gets screwed up.

Interesting to note...the guy that developed and sells these, used forum member "JGeorge"'s VX (Jody) as the model for the fitting for a VX. He lives close and knows her apparently.

REAPPLYING IT-
You have to do basically the same heating to reapply it. But you don't have to stretch it as much, as it stays mostly the same.

Once the edge trim has already been fitted the first time, you just reapply it, pushing it on.... and maybe a pinch or two here and there to tighten the channel.

Note- The first replacement the guy sent me was cut too short...I had that thing hotter than heck and I couldn't stretch it to fit properly....so I called him, sent pictures, and he sent me another, which was properly cut.

Note- When heating it in the sun, it will be so hot it's hard to handle it for longer than a few seconds.
So install was basically:
~ laying it generally in place,
~ then lifting one end or the other to reposition,
~ burning my fingers while I repositioned it slightly,
~ swearing,
~ dropping it into place -
~ wait until fingers stopped burning,
~ repeat process...:goof:
Soft gloves would help.....

Here's the one that was cut too short.
At least on mine, the "correct" cut doesn't come totally to the edges...but it comes close enough, about 1/4", that when you apply the edge trim, it does reach over the edge of the bra, and there's no paint showing.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSCF3811.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSCF3807.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSCF3805.jpg

In MOAB:
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7048.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MOAB%20%202012/DSCN1157-1.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MOAB%20%202012/IMG_0045.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MOAB%20%202012/DSCN1376.jpg

vt_maverick
07/27/2012, 05:24 PM
Clearbra is nice too. :thumbup: ;)

Personally I like the OEM bra best but I've seen the Magnet Bra in person twice and it's sharp.

Mile High VX
07/27/2012, 05:53 PM
I love my magnet bra.

If you are going to remove it often the edges might get ratty where the holding strip grips the magnet. I take it off once a year to clean and wax. I have not discoloring issues or scratches.

I've had not bubble issues and as long as you keep the holding strip on correctly it won't blow off.

ALC1717
07/28/2012, 05:21 AM
Definitely NAY on The Magnetic Nose Bra. While it does look good, there are problems with it. I Know it was my Fault for not reading the Instructions carefully. I left it on in the Summer for over 2 months. When I removed it, my hood paint was slightly damaged, the Clear started to Bubble and Lift a little. Gussie 2000 turned me on to a Covercraft Nose Bra. It is Excellent and Better than the Isuzu OEM Version with a very Soft Underneath that touches the Paint ! So Beware of the Magnetic Nose Bra !

ibmx2
07/28/2012, 06:55 AM
i like mine !!!

JAMAS
07/30/2012, 07:55 AM
Just arrived. I will apply tonight or tomorrow.

Fingers crossed...

Mile High VX
07/30/2012, 10:13 AM

Fingers crossed...

Take it out of the box today for an easy install tomorrow...and don't forget to get your hairdryer out!

VX KAT
07/30/2012, 10:18 AM

Fingers crossed...

I know you're as detailed and neurotic as me on this kind of stuff...so here's another list....:thumbup:

The SUN worked better for me than a hairdryer....the longer you can leave BOTH bra and edge trim, out in the sun, the better.
It was uniformly hot, instead of just a specific area.
I also applied it IN THE SUN to keep it hot.
I lay mine on a beach towel out on the driveway.
Wear surgical type gloves to minimize burning (a little), but also to prevent skin oils from getting on either side.
Apply it in the approx correct position, then lift the one side and start tugging on it to stretch it toward the edge of the headlight.
MOST of the time, the other side will stay attached, so your tugging will be effective.
If you lift too much up, then tug, the magnetic hold will not be enough and the other side will release.
Be careful when tugging NOT to let your fingers dig in too deep and cause a "dent" or bend.
I know instructions say to put your finger under the lip at the back edge and "roll" it....but I found I still needed to TUG on it to get any meaningful stretching. But I found that really burned my fingers cuz now I was touching both the hot bra and the hot metal hood...:eek:
Remember, it most likely will NOT come completely to the edge of the headlights...but the small gap will be covered by the edge trim.
***When my other one flew off....I was able to see it happening, and the leading edge on the hood was the first place it released and was flapping.***
I may be incorrect, but I thought it most important to have the leading edge of hood (directly above grill) have the mask closest to the edge. This allows the edge trim to COVER/ overlap the most on the bra....for a more secure hold. I def biased mine forward, so I could do this.
Take your time on the edge trim since you're bending it into place for the first time. Def use some channel locks or robogrip pliers to pinch the edge trim channel closed. You want to apply the pressure equally on the trim, so the pliers need to have a flat even pressure....not pinching one edge more than the other.
If you find one part of the edging doesn't really stay "on" the edge, pull it back/off the metal and pinch it with the pliers to really tighten the channel. Then push it on.
The two (2) most problematic areas for the edging is corners on the 3-4" of hood directly above the FAKE cladding screw. It has to make a 90 degree turn on each end.....this is where the flat plier pinch will be most helpful
When the channel is very tight/narrow, I found a small amount of the top layer of the bra would be peeled back in some areas.....I presume from the very snug channel being pushed onto the bra. The "peeling" did NOT progress or get worse at all, and the edging covers it completely, so no ugly part.

AND REMEMBER.....if i can do this (and do it perfectly :thumbup:), then YOU DEFINITELY CAN DO IT TOO! :thumbup:

Go JON, GO JON, Go JON!!!!

Mile High VX
07/30/2012, 10:25 AM
Great write up Kat...I put mine on in the winter here in CO so no go for me on that SUN and HEAT.

The only other thing that was problematic for me what where the bra overlaps the hood at the corners. It was difficult to get the hold down started.

Also don't pull too hard on the hold down piece. With a few tries you'll get it even at both edges. It's easier to go back some and pull more than it is to get to the end and need to go back and make is shorter...

Looking forward to seeing the pics Jon.

JAMAS
07/30/2012, 10:37 AM
I .....am......terrified...j/k:)

I will give it my best shot tomorrow.

JAMAS
07/30/2012, 10:38 AM
Take it out of the box today for an easy install tomorrow...and don't forget to get your hairdryer out!

Should I unroll it too? Is there a backing, or should I be concerned about where I lay it?

VX KAT
07/30/2012, 10:40 AM
Should I unroll it too? Is there a backing, or should I be concerned about where I lay it?

YES, put it in sun light (even inside) to help it get warm and unroll...
Don't force it to unroll!

NO, there's NO BACKING on it...so be careful!

YES, be concerned where you lay it! Beach towel!

tom4bren
07/30/2012, 11:07 AM
Y'all are making it sound SOOOOO difficult!!!

I unrolled mine onto my hood close to the desired location & left it that way for about 15 minutes. Then repositioned it to the desired location. I chose to bias it towards the leading edge like Sue did & that left a little bit hanging over the edge of the hood in a few places (sorry - can't remember where since that was 2 1/2 years ago). I then used scissors to trim off the excess & then put the trim piece on.

Sorry but I can't vouch for the effects on my paint. The one time I took it off 2 years ago, there was some discoloration of the paint. I have no idea if the discoloration will come off with rubbing compound or not. I just put the bra back on and decided that it is now a permanent mod. I'm probably going to have to replace mine next year since the trim piece keeps working loose over the PS headlight (or maybe I'll just try the crimping method that y'all mentioned). I schlep some Back2Black on it any time that I'm treating the cladding and it still looks new.

evillecutter
07/30/2012, 11:41 AM
im confused are these magnetic or just use static electricity and trim clips?

tom4bren
07/30/2012, 11:45 AM
sheet magnet.

Sorta/kinda like the material that refridgerator magnet business cards are made of.

evillecutter
07/30/2012, 01:34 PM
sheet magnet.

Sorta/kinda like the material that refridgerator magnet business cards are made of.

aaaaaahhhh thank you

VX KAT
08/02/2012, 07:48 PM
I .....am......terrified...j/k:)

I will give it my best shot tomorrow.

Well????:_confused

JAMAS
08/03/2012, 06:37 AM
I JUST got my truck back late last night from a week long back and forth in the shop.

Replaced a pinion bearing, etc.

Dinner with friends tonight and helping a buddy move tomorrow. Probably/hopefully will do it on Sunday.

I WILL get pictures this time. I pinky swear.:)

tom4bren
08/03/2012, 08:49 AM
Probably/hopefully will do it on Sunday.

'Cmon JAMMY. Yer starting to be a more worser procrastinator than me!!!

JK

Good luck with that full plate ya got goin on this weekend.

The funny part is that when you do eventually get it on, you're going to say "Dang - that was so easy & quick that I could have done it before dinner on Friday!!!"

JAMAS
08/03/2012, 10:39 AM
HA! Probably right.

JAMAS
08/06/2012, 06:39 AM
Install went very smooth. I had to redo the edging because I put it on upside down, but everything else went well.

Here are some pictures...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Hood1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22695)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Profile1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22696)

circmand
08/06/2012, 08:26 AM
you did an excellent job there.

tom4bren
08/06/2012, 08:40 AM
HA! Probably right.

Of course I'm right - was there any doubt?

Looks great. How much time from unrolling the material to snapping the shutter?

JAMAS
08/06/2012, 08:53 AM
How much time from unrolling the material to snapping the shutter?

Roughly 30 minutes because I was trying to remove the "magnetBra" logo sticker and the goo left behind, as well as redoing the edging. It was almost a direct match, so not too much stretching.

Really an easy process. Gives me some comfort in knowing it will be easy to remove and reapply once every or every other month.

I really like the way the matte black sheen of it continues the look and feel of the cladding onto the hood. Makes a nice transition.

I'm happy with it.

tom4bren
08/06/2012, 09:05 AM
It's also a good place to add a custom logo you may have been thinking about ... without it being permanent.

I'm still thinking about maybe doing the V6 logo on mine.

JAMAS
08/06/2012, 09:37 AM
Thats a really good idea.

VX KAT
08/06/2012, 10:04 AM
JAMMY!!!! WoW! You REALLY do own a VX! WOW!
And it's gorgeous....I mean GORGEOUS DUDE!!!!!!
Well done! You got those 90 degree angles on that edging perfect! :thumbup:

Anything oily, like fingerprints, wax splatter (don't ask me how I know that) will make the matte finish shine. Then you have to use something like windex. I used 303 on my original bra, it seemed to work well, but I wanted to try my new bra completely nekkid and see how it looked over time. It seems to have maintained a little more matte than when I treated the other one.

....and it looks like the Showroom New dye on the cladding came out excellent!

JAMAS
08/06/2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks!

I found out about making it shiny when I used goo gone on that logo sticker. Frustrating. I will try windex to see how it does.

I think the showroom new turned out really well. I am going to put another coat on it at some point, but I am really happy with it for now.

PK
08/06/2012, 08:08 PM
Install went very smooth. I had to redo the edging because I put it on upside down, but everything else went well.

Here are some pictures...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Hood1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22695)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Profile1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22696)

Bugga damnnn - now I want one.
That looks great.

PK

PK
08/06/2012, 08:11 PM
I wanted to try my new bra completely nekkid and see how it looked over time.

I know there is a line in there for me, but I am resisting the urge-----------:p:p:winky:

PK

Mile High VX
08/06/2012, 08:30 PM
Looks great JAMAS!

tom4bren
02/06/2013, 11:12 AM
magnetbra.com site says that they are closed for a couple of weeks & should re-open mid Feb. They better ... I needs one.

evillecutter
02/06/2013, 12:12 PM
tom i just took mine off last month if you really need one before then let me know

tom4bren
02/06/2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks but once it goes on, it never comes off.

Tisn't urgent anyway. Just a cupla rock chips on the replacement hood.

ALC1717
02/06/2013, 09:33 PM
Yes, The MagnetBra Looks Great but they Recommend that it be Removed Once Every Month! I Did NOT Take Mine Off For Several Months and When I Finally Removed It My Paint Was Hood Damaged In Two Spots With Tiny Bubbles. Switched To A Covercraft and It Is Much Better !

tom4bren
02/07/2013, 07:20 AM
Yes, The MagnetBra Looks Great but they Recommend that it be Removed Once Every Month! I Did NOT Take Mine Off For Several Months and When I Finally Removed It My Paint Was Hood Damaged In Two Spots With Tiny Bubbles. Switched To A Covercraft and It Is Much Better !

If I'm hiding rock chips with the MagnetBra, what do I care if the paint gets a little goobered up? It'll have to be repainted if I decide to ditch the bra anyway.

Just jerkin ya around!:) I like the look of the MagnetBra so I'm stickin wit it!

The goobered up paint can probably be fixed with a claybar.

evillecutter
02/07/2013, 07:47 AM

mine did the same thing - messed up the clearcoat after about 2 months