PDA

View Full Version : Pinion Seal Installer Tool - J-24250 - Available For Borrowing - (...and a story)

JAMAS
07/27/2012, 06:44 AM
So I had a pinion seal leak that was fixed in March. 3 months later, it was leaking again. I watched them fix it again (all on their dime). Remove old seal and replace with new, Tighten nut, fill with fluid. Next time I drove it I noticed a low whine. Went and had them check it out. Didn't make any sense to them, but they did take everything apart and put it back together again. The whine was quieter and almost gone, but the next day it came back and got louder and louder. After I and the mechanic looked at the vx manual, we realized that the pinion flange nut is a one time use item. After you install a new flange nut, you are supposed to stake the nut making sure it wont back off and make a whining noise. I will be going back to the shop to get a new nut and a new seal (again, on their dime) and hopefully finally get this issue fixed. In thinking about what else could be improved on the process, I remember that the mechanic didnt have the correct pinion seal installer for the VX. He macgyvered a solution that appeared to work, however I wanted to be safe than sorry. So I found the correct one (based on the manual) available on ebay for $13 and am having it shipped to me next day.

My point in all this, is if anyone is installing a new front pinion seal (not sure if its the same size for the rear) you are MORE than welcome to borrow this "specialized" tool for the cost to ship it to you and then back to me when you are done.

I hope this helps someone.

Mondo
08/25/2012, 11:06 AM
Any idea how they released the staked parts of the flange nut? I just broke the tip off my pliers trying to bend back the crimp.

JAMAS
08/25/2012, 01:16 PM
I am pretty sure they just backed it off like normal. Staking the nut is essentially like using loctite. It holds it on until you back if off . That flange nut is a one time only use nut. You must replace it .