PDA

View Full Version : Brake issues

Triathlete
07/25/2012, 06:30 AM
I am having issues with my brakes. I remember another post with similar issues but can't find it (searching brakes brings up a ton of posts).
So here is the problem...
basically brake pedal is harder than usual to push, braking is weak. No strange noises. Pads/rotors are good. My abs has not worked in forever. Fluid is full.
Would air in lines cause this? Anything else to check?

VX crazy
07/25/2012, 06:42 AM
Brake booster maybe??

evillecutter
07/25/2012, 07:59 AM
i had a brake booster go out on a toyota corolla but it didnt make the brake pedal harder to push it made it softer

eblank
07/25/2012, 09:19 AM
Air in the lines should make the pedal softer too cuz its compressible.

tom4bren
07/25/2012, 10:29 AM
Here are a few tips you can try:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfixes.htm

Scott Larson
07/25/2012, 10:37 AM
Lots-o-good tips there Tom!

JoFotoz
07/25/2012, 10:42 AM
Just maybe....its your floor mat.

It sounds a tad crazy...but I had a similar issue,
and it turned out the floor mat had slid forward
and was jammed up under the brake pedal "arm"

It made for a harder pedal push, and less effective braking.

Jo

Scott Larson
07/25/2012, 10:45 AM
I had the floor mat in my Explorer jam the gas pedal to the firewall once while kicking it down to make a pass, that got my attention real fast!! :freek:

Triathlete
07/25/2012, 02:23 PM
That was the first thing I checked Jo. :)

Triathlete
07/25/2012, 02:27 PM
I'll try some of those Tom. Thanks for that link.

JoFotoz
07/25/2012, 03:02 PM
:thumbup:..figured you probably had..

That was the first thing I checked Jo. :)

...but mentioned it just in case...given my own experience!

Shame it wasnt the answer :(

Maybe try these 'cures/diagnostics if Toms link doesnt give the answer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4453827_diagnose-hard-brake-pedal.html

Good luck with it.

jo

Jay Dunford
07/26/2012, 06:32 AM
Good tips in Toms and Jo's links, first place I'd try is the vacuum hose to the booster. Had that happen to an old charger many years ago and it was a cracked hose leaking and making the pedal harder to push.

Triathlete
07/26/2012, 05:14 PM
Using the above sites all things appear to be pointing to the booster. Push brake pedal down, start engine, pedal does not move. Anyone changed theirs? What is involved in the job? Anything I might meed to know in advance?

JoFotoz
07/26/2012, 05:53 PM
This might help Billy..

Park your car in a safe place with enough room to work around the front and driver side of the vehicle.

Locate the booster push rod connected to the brake pedal.

Remove the cotter pin securing the booster push rod pin to the brake pedal using a pair of nose pliers.

Release the push rod pin from the brake pedal and slide the push rod off the brake pedal.

Unscrew the four mounting nuts off the brake booster studs using a ratchet, ratchet extension and socket. You should be able to see the four booster studs extending through the firewall, in front of the brake pedal.

Disconnect the vacuum hose from the brake booster, working from the engine compartment. Use a pair of slip joint pliers.

Remove the two nuts holding the brake master cylinder to the brake booster. Use a wrench or ratchet and socket.

Separate the brake master cylinder from the booster just enough to make room for booster removal.

Pull the brake booster off the firewall and remove it from the vehicle.

Installing the New Brake Booster

Set the new booster in place by sliding the push rod and four mounting studs through the mounting holes on the firewall.

Slide the brake master cylinder flange over the two mounting studs on the brake booster.

Start the two brake master cylinder mounting nuts by hand to avoid damage to the threads.

Tighten the two brake master cylinder mounting nuts using a wrench or ratchet and socket.

Connect the vacuum hose to the brake booster.

Screw the four mounting nuts to the brake booster working from inside the vehicle. Start the nuts by hand to avoid damaging the threads.

Tighten the four mounting nuts using the ratchet, ratchet extension and socket.

Position the brake booster push rod over the brake pedal and slide the push rod pin.

Install a new cotter pin to secure the booster push rod to the brake pedal.

I d/loaded it a while ago when I was gonna do the b/booster on my Old Bronco...
....but ended up selling it first!

Hope it helps.

Jo

Triathlete
07/26/2012, 06:52 PM
Sounds ez enough....thanks Jo. Now I just need to order one :)

Ldub
07/26/2012, 07:05 PM
I have a lightly used one I'll sell ya for $50.00 + shipping...:yesgray:

It's my orig factory one, that I was mistakenly advised that was bad...:upsetgray

Not fun to change, but AFAIK, in perfect working order.

PM me if U R interested.

rowhard
07/27/2012, 05:19 AM
Not fun to change.

to true, but Billy is fit and trim. A fat old guy like us, well me anyway probably should pay someone:bwgy:

Ldub
07/27/2012, 06:54 AM
to true, but Billy is fit and trim. A fat old guy like us, well me anyway probably should pay someone:bwgy:

ain't it da troof...:_wrench:.:yesgray: