PDA

View Full Version : TOD Issues - Random 4lo when on Auto

WyldWeasel
07/24/2012, 10:21 PM
Hi Everybody. Been a while since I've posted. Life has been demanding.

Anyway, having trouble with my '99 VX of late: TOD randomly goes into 4lo when on Auto. Usually right after starting up. It happens most often when reversing out of a parking spot with a hard turn, accompanied by a hard chirping of the passenger front tire and a grindy noise from the front differential. Stopping the car and going into neutral and playing around with the 4lo 4hi lever doesn't help, but turning the car off for a few minutes and turning it back on sometimes fixes the issue. Sometimes it won't come out of 4lo at all so I park it and leave it overnite and it heals itself in the morning. It also happened once when car was underway, when slowing and turning left into parking lot, it suddenly went into 4lo and the CHECK TOD light went on.

Where should I start looking to diagnose this?

tom4bren
07/25/2012, 05:13 AM
Here's a link to the process to read the TOD trouble codes:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939&highlight=TOD+codes

The other thing you might want to consider is to get some manual hubs to install on the front wheels, that way if your TOD acts up for any reason, it won't affect the driveability.

Scott Larson
07/25/2012, 10:54 AM
It sounds like the transfer case control module is to blame but your code reader should confirm that...

nfpgasmask
07/25/2012, 10:56 AM
I'm having TOD issues too. So far, I have changed the two speed sensors in the back of the xfer case. This did not fix it. Next I need to change the trans speed sensor under the shifter console.

I will be watching this thread. Get your codes read and start there.

Bart

Scott Larson
07/25/2012, 10:59 AM
Just a suggestion, disconnect your battery for a few minutes and see if that resets the TOD contol module.

evillecutter
07/25/2012, 11:02 AM
Just a suggestion, disconnect your battery for a few minutes and see if that resets the TOD contol module.

im learning to to this after just about any work i do on my vx - think about what cell phones looked like 13 years ago let alone computers - its like control alt delete for a vehicle

Scott Larson
07/25/2012, 11:08 AM
EXACTLY, that little trick can sort out all kinds of bugs on all kinds of vehicles...ya just never know!

nfpgasmask
07/25/2012, 11:08 AM
There is actually a specific procedure for clearing the TOD codes. Disconnecting the battery for a while does not purge the codes.

Bart

Scott Larson
07/25/2012, 11:10 AM
Can't that be done with the right code reader, or is there a specific procedure you have to follow?

nfpgasmask
07/25/2012, 11:23 AM
Can't that be done with the right code reader, or is there a specific procedure you have to follow?

Click the link to the procedure at the top of this thread. The TOD codes are on a separate system.

Bart

Triathlete
07/25/2012, 04:56 PM
No solutions but glad to see you are still around WW. Didn't your dad have a nice VX also?

RickOKC
07/25/2012, 06:00 PM
Hey WW, I have doubts that your VX is it REALLY going into true 4 LOW.

I'm kind of a noob, but I don't see how that could happen since that would require physically changing of the position of the secondary 4 HI / 4 LOW lever. My suspicion is that the torque is being sent erroneously from back to front due to a tire pressure / wheel size / faulty sensor / other issue.

But like I said - I'm a relative newbie with limited skillz. It may be possible that you're actually going into 4LOW, but I have the doubts I noted above. I hope more knowledgeable people will speak up if I'm completely wrong (my feelings sure won't be hurt if they speak up and tell me I'm just plain ol' wrong!) :)

Try the procedure listed in link in tom4bren's first message. You don't need anything fancier than a small piece of wire with hand twisted ends to make the jumper in the ODBII port.

Scott Larson
07/25/2012, 07:14 PM
I believe there's an electrically operated clutch pack in the TOD transfer case and that is contolled by the TOD module, anybody have more info on this? This vehicle and it's intricacies is new to me too...

tom4bren
07/26/2012, 05:14 AM
I think you're both right.

IIRC:

When in TOD (4H), an electric clutch pulses power to the front end to drive the wheels if slipping is sensed.

When in 4L, the transfer case mechanically locks in power to the front end as well as giving the gear reduction.

LittleBeast
07/26/2012, 07:41 AM
This was happening to me as well when my CV's were binding. It is not going into 4 wheel low really more than likely but all the lights light up right?

VXR
07/27/2012, 04:15 AM
For a short time after Moab 0?, you regarded all us VX'rs as "your new fraternity"...:yesgray:

Then...:confused:.:confusedw.:confused:

Now you remember us?

Yeh, I'll be at the front of the line to fix it 4 U...:rolleyesg

I DON'T forget.

:confused:

Ldub
07/27/2012, 06:49 AM
:confused:

When you're right, you're right...

I had no right or reason to be so harsh...my apologies Paula...:flower:

Post deleted.

Scott Larson
07/27/2012, 06:58 PM
Boy, have I been there before..."Say it forget it, write it regret it". Takes a man to admit he's wrong. Good on ya Dub! :slap: :_beer:

SomeoneElse
04/18/2013, 09:08 PM
Resurrecting this thread: I've noticed that if i move the 4lo/hi lever just barely out of position from 4H, the TOD "Auto" light goes out and all 4 wheels light up fully. While I have -not- driven under this condition yet, I am wondering if this is effectively a "true" 4H with 50/50 distribution and good to go or an unsafe thing to do. I figure it can't be in 4L, but I'd rather consult the Gurus before I get all excited about not needing to make a Toggle switch for the snow. I discovered this by random fault as I was pulling out of the parking lot and it went away when I pulled the stick all the way back, thus leading to the scientific method and finding a way of replicating the condition.

VXorado
04/20/2013, 12:30 AM
Resurrecting this thread: I've noticed that if i move the 4lo/hi lever just barely out of position from 4H, the TOD "Auto" light goes out and all 4 wheels light up fully. While I have -not- driven under this condition yet, I am wondering if this is effectively a "true" 4H with 50/50 distribution and good to go or an unsafe thing to do. I figure it can't be in 4L, but I'd rather consult the Gurus before I get all excited about not needing to make a Toggle switch for the snow. I discovered this by random fault as I was pulling out of the parking lot and it went away when I pulled the stick all the way back, thus leading to the scientific method and finding a way of replicating the condition.

The VX T-case doesn't have 4 hi, you're inbetween gears when the lever is in the middle. It won't have any power to the wheels and you might get some grinding as well. Not advised.

The TOD should work great on snowy road conditions, I would argue better than 4hi due to our short wheel base. :yesy:

SomeoneElse
04/20/2013, 04:34 PM
The shift lever for this condition is about 3-5mm from maximum pull (juuuust before it sorta clicks and the auto light engages.) I could see it maybe popping itself into the neutral position and or grinding. I'll check out how it does (without going full retard) up in the mountains behind Blackhawk next weekend.