PDA

View Full Version : 99 Astral, nw to me, multiple problems....Any Suggestions?

Crasca
07/23/2012, 09:55 PM
Hello All,
Well, now that I have decidd to not part her out, I am going to start looking into these problems.....

She has been sitting for over a year. I put a new battery in it, and started it up....her is what I have noticed:

1. Engine knocking, but no codes / not leaking oil. Any suggestions on
where to start looking??

2. Power steering fluid reservoir very low. Would moving the car / turning
the sterring wheel with no power cause fluid loss? Cause fluid to leak
out??

3. Transmission slipping. I assume it's due to the fluid being leaked out. He
thought this was oil, but clearly its tansmission fluid. Where are the most
common spots for leaks??

The prior owner said all of these problems seem to have centered around a car wash, and immediately after him spraying the engine down with the high pressure hose. Coincidence, or could there be seom connection?

I will begin scouring the site for info, but any quick tips would be greatly
appreciated.

Gussie2000
07/23/2012, 10:27 PM
Few members in the past had issues right after having their VX thru car wash with warwe pressure cleaning the engine

It seems that electrical connexions in the VX are quite sensitive to water so is possible that water caused some but not all those problems such as trans slips or steering leaking out.

tom4bren
07/24/2012, 04:45 AM
Power Steering leaks aren't uncommon with the VX. I have to top mine off several times each year. Lucas will help but not cure the problem.

Slipping tranny may be from low fluid. Search the site for 'mode selector switch' for one possible source for the leak.

evillecutter
07/24/2012, 09:40 AM
spray hot metal with cold water and bad things can happen even without taking into consideration the sensitive electrical components