PDA

View Full Version : headlight polycarbonate lens

angeno
07/22/2012, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys-

Been searching the threads to find a solution to a problem that I'm sure afflicts many of us, especially those whose VX's are, like mine, pushing 150K miles on the odometer. I'm talking about the polycarbonate lens that sits over our headlights. I know there are numerous ways to clean the "outside" of the lens. All well and good. Except that my VX has got crud and condensation and junk inside the lens. And the only way to fix it is to remove the lens and clean the inside surface. So, I am wondering if anyone here has figured out the best way to do this without destroying the headlights in the process. Realizing how rare parts are for our VX, I think this is an important issue since it is going to be better to fix what we have -- because particularly when it comes to the skin of our VX, replacement parts are becoming harder to find every single day. Suggestions?

:happyface

VX KAT
07/22/2012, 11:52 PM
A few owners have taken them apart for various mods.

I think the latest was "Little Beast" who did it last year, here's his thread:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20474

Here's a few threads on it:

This one's long but has several different owners talking about it and what they did:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2299&highlight=heat+oven+headlight

These have lots of pictures of dissasembly:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=114

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=647

blacksambo
07/24/2012, 08:07 PM
Did you think of washing with dishwasher spot remover? Just a wacky idea.

Hiredgoon
07/24/2012, 11:07 PM
I've done the sand and polish trick myself but if the clouding is not *too* bad cleaning it with toothpaste helps sometimes.

angeno
07/25/2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks folks for the good ideas. Problem is really the "inside" of the lens. Guess I'm going to have to try to tear the thing apart without managing to destroy my headlights in the process. I'll let you know how things turn out.

VX KAT
07/25/2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks folks for the good ideas. Problem is really the "inside" of the lens. Guess I'm going to have to try to tear the thing apart without managing to destroy my headlights in the process. I'll let you know how things turn out.

I know you're not trying to install projector lens or anything like that, but those threads I attached do show how they disassembled the lens. LittleBeast can probably give you real clear "How To" since he took his apart not too long ago. I recall reading you bake them in the oven for a while to soften the glue.

pbkid
07/26/2012, 12:03 PM
Standard for taking apart headlights is in the oven for something like 350 for 10 minutes. (dont quote me on time or temp, google baking headlights).

LittleBeast
07/27/2012, 07:50 AM
350 is too hot.

My quote from Anita's link:

"Locate an oven make sure that there is only one rack in oven and that it is on one of the lowest tracks in the oven. Test fit the cookie sheet/towel/1 headlight into your oven to make sure no metal is going to touch the headlight. Then turn your oven on and set the Temperature to 200 degrees exactly. Get a large cookie sheet, and cover the top of the cookie sheet with a damp towel. Then place your headlight onto the towel which is on top of the cookie sheet. Place headlight into oven and let it sit in there for 5 to 6 minutes. I would suggest wearing gloves from here on out. Remove cookie sheet and use a flat screwdriver and start slowly making your way around the headlight loosening the glue in between the clear plastic cover and the black plastic base of the headlight. Once you have gone all the way around once prying and turning the screwdriver start to pull the headlight apart with your hands. If you start to feel it coming loose keep going. If not place headlight back onto cookie sheet and place in oven for another 2 to 3 minutes, then try and pull apart again. Eventually it will break loose."

VXorado
07/27/2012, 08:00 AM
350 for 10 minutes. (dont quote me on time or temp, google baking headlights).

:slap:... shoot and a miss.

:laughy: