PDA

View Full Version : I feel like crying - did I lose a friend?

PA-99
07/18/2012, 01:40 PM
Last night my VX was sitting in a Mall's back parking lot, away from other cars, while I was inside the Mall for about 40 minutes. Upon returning, found my remote unlock would not work. Just as I was about to pull the key, my wife yells and points at her side.

Somebody in something big appeared to have backup up into the front passenger side. Someone had hit it and left with no note. It's not a horrible lot of damage, but it caused damage to hood, front cladding, fender cladding, fender, headlight, and door.

Went to start it and found that even though the dash lights came on, the car will not start. No ticking, not fuel pump, nothing. I decided right away to not mess with anything and just let the insurance company handle it.

Had it towed last night and am waiting for the dreaded call from the insurance adjuster. With the amount of parts that would need to be replaced, I'm wondering if my VX will see it's end.

Has anyone had any experience recently with this minimal amount of damage and the every limiting supply of accessible parts? Just trying to get an idea of what I will hear back.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3kfvBFhig4s/UAceriTucPI/AAAAAAAAAvM/t6wdRY6YxbA/s498/20120717_172506.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3BrD1byKck4/UAcesnr0a9I/AAAAAAAAAvU/2Tp5UO4C30Q/s664/20120717_172236.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BqGt-q_wLrk/UAceyRDN5lI/AAAAAAAAAv0/UPULWkRWJV8/s664/20120717_185010.jpg

H3_VX
07/18/2012, 01:48 PM
Are there cameras at the mall you were at? Some do have them facing the parking lots. May be able to get a license plate # from it.

PA-99
07/18/2012, 01:51 PM
Are there cameras at the mall you were at? Some do have them facing the parking lots. May be able to get a license plate # from it.

Unfortunately not. It's an older Mall that is not kept up. Police checked gas station at mall entrance for video, but didn't find anything.

Just got a call from the adjuster who will be coming to see the car tomorrow. "I've never heard of that car before" is not so reassuring.

H3_VX
07/18/2012, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately not. It's an older Mall that is not kept up. Police checked gas station at mall entrance for video, but didn't find anything.

Just got a call from the adjuster who will be coming to see the car tomorrow. "I've never heard of that car before" is not so reassuring.

Sorry about what happened. As far as "never heard of that car before".......I think all of us have heard that. LOL! The damage does not look as bad as some others i've seen posted on here.

MSHardeman
07/18/2012, 02:28 PM
Damage doesn't look terrible, but they did hit her pretty hard. Really must have been something big to get up on top of the fender/ hood that way.

Even though the dash lights came on, maybe something got dislodged in the fuse box and/or battery that wouldn't allow it to start.

Sorry this happened, but good luck going forward from here.

samneil2000
07/18/2012, 02:29 PM
That is just low! Who could do that damage to another person's vehicle and drive away? AHHHHH
Good luck man!

Scott Larson
07/18/2012, 02:37 PM
If it was tractor-trailer rig, I can see how that could happen; It still sucks all the same though!!

VX KAT
07/18/2012, 04:15 PM
Contact VT_Maverick (and search for his thread on his wreck last Oct/Nov).

Even though his damage was much more extensive, he knows the process very well about how to handle the insurance adjustor and how to try to prevent them from "totalling" it.

I also recall "ala5ka" had a wreck about 4 months ago and his insurance and repair place were fantastic, helping him get all the parts, and not totalling it. Contact him for sure for some input (and search for his thread about it too).

Search for some other threads also, I know this has been discussed several times when other owners had to deal with it.

I recall "circmand" hit a deer recently and had to deal with finding a lot of parts and dealing with insurance....PM him.

A few months back, I recall there was a rash of accidents....so there were several owners that had to deal with this. Some let it go, but I know some found ways to get it fixed.

Anybody who had those wrecks, jump in if you can....

Good luck!

JoFotoz
07/18/2012, 04:17 PM
That is SO WRONG...:(

Maybe the parts from here:-

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22807

...can help save yours?

Good luck..and Karma will get the other guy.

Jo

PA-99
07/18/2012, 04:55 PM
I actually read down through the saga that VT dealt with to get some insight. I just went down to pull the plate off per the insurance company and found that the interior locking and window motors aren't working either. Makes me feel a little better knowing that since it is affecting so many items, that it is likely an issue concentrated by the battery (or like mentioned by MSHardeman). I know I just need to wait to see what the insurance company says before going searching, but I have a hard time sitting still. Hopefully the insurance company has one sitting in their yard somewhere with the parts available.

On another note, this has brought up some thoughts. I feel so attached to MY VX. I honestly don't feel that another one would fill the same spot in my "garage". To me, she was perfect, I'm not sure I could bear to get a different one.

Gussie2000
07/18/2012, 04:55 PM
That damage had to be done by a tow truck,box truck or one of those trucks that carries materials/supplies or a very lifted truck.

Ridiculous the driver get away from this and nobody saw the incident.

I recall last year after clubbing that night around 4:45 this guy driving his pathfinder made a U turn in a "one way" street;He were so impaired of consuming much alcohol that he slam into two parked cars and tried to get away,he had to stop for the traffic light,i went and took few pics of his license plate,the damages that he caused to his own car and left a note on the windshields of the two damaged cars with the guy's pathfinder plates,color, year and time it happened.

I hate irresponsible drivers all day long.

PA-99
07/18/2012, 05:02 PM
left a note on the windshields of the two damaged cars with the guy's pathfinder plates,color, year and time it happened.

DUDE!!!! You rock. Thank you from everyone that has ever been punished by hit and run. THANK YOU!!!!

Also, you can definitely see the imprint of the truck's light. There was an auction that night and many box trucks in the parking lot. I looked at everyone (twice). The auction is every Tuesday and damn straight I'll be there next week looking for it again!!!!

MSHardeman
07/18/2012, 06:43 PM
On another note, this has brought up some thoughts. I feel so attached to MY VX. I honestly don't feel that another one would fill the same spot in my "garage". To me, she was perfect, I'm not sure I could bear to get a different one.

I TOTALLY know how you feel. Going through a possible engine rebuild with mine right now, and I have friends and co-workers asking why I don't just sell mine and get another VX, or another car altogether. It's hard to explain to them that that VX is MINE, and another one simply won't do.

Scott Larson
07/18/2012, 06:54 PM
There seems to be an inexplicable bond that one forms with their VX, more-so then with most other cars...

tom4bren
07/19/2012, 04:58 AM
PA,

Don't get too discouraged until you talk to the adjuster. Every insurance company is different so it's difficult to forecast what the outcome will be based on our past experience. Remember that an insurance adjuster's findings are his OPINION ... professional opinion yes, but an opinion nonetheless. You may ask for a second opinion if you don't agree.

I have the personal opinion that mine would've been totaled after I parked it on the side of a van on I-95 if I hadn't worked closely with both the repair shop and the insurance company. I helped source some of the parts & even did the leg work on getting the half shafts rebuilt.

Now is when your membership to this site is gonna pay off. Keep us posted on the progress and we'll help do whatever it takes to get your beast back on the road.

As for finding the dipstick that hit your VX. Don't lose any sleep on it. Unfortunately since there appears to be no witnesses, they'll never be held liable even if caught. My daughter was in an accident - exchanged info - other driver left before police arrived - police contacted other driver who denied being involved in accident - case dropped.

My condolences on your woes!!!

t4b

circmand
07/19/2012, 05:34 AM
I hit a deer on Super Bowl Sunday. While the car got me home it was pretty messed up. It was worse than yours looks. The damage exceeded $4500 but the insurance company never blinked and had it repaired. The only issue I had was the hood. There were none in the USA but 6 were on the boat from Japan. To make things worse the 1st hood they sent was damaged and I had to wait for a 2nd one. On the bright side two new headlights took care of the hazing issue on the old ones I had.

PA-99
07/19/2012, 06:15 AM
Thank all. I'm getting more and more hopefully that she will be coming home. I SO appreciate the offered assistance. I will definitely look to the group for help. Will update once I speak to the adjuster today :)

vt_maverick
07/19/2012, 06:49 AM
I think you should be okay. I got into an accident in Denver last November that did a similar amount of damage to what you and circmand seem to have had and insurance fixed it without totaling it. The key is making sure your adjuster properly values the vehicle before comparing it to the repair estimate. The one thing you have going against you vs. our situations is that your VX is a 99, so obviously the base book value would be less. My recommendation would be that you start using AutoTrader, Cars.com, and SearchTempest (Craigslist) to pull a list of all 99s that compare well to your vehicle in terms of mileage and condition. Print out 3-5 of those ads (obviously pick the highest priced ones) and show them to your adjuster if he's concerned about the value. My adjuster in Denver initially told me he thought it would be a total based on the book value, but after looking at some comps online and in the insurance company's pay-out database he changed his mind.

Good luck and let us know what we can do to help.

eblank
07/19/2012, 07:00 AM
One simple thing to remember too is that you should TELL the shop giving you a quote (and possibly the adjuster depending on the individual) that you would like it not to be totaled. Some people don't mind when their ride is totaled cuz then they get to get a new one, so its important that they know. I had another car hit by a deer that was gona be totaled, but I talked to the shop and was able to bring down the cost of repairs a few hundred dollars that put it back in the "fix it" range.

PA-99
07/19/2012, 09:42 AM
The adjuster is approving the vehicle to go to a body shop. It will be moved later on today to the only shop I trust in the area!!! Attaching the adjuster's report in case anyone is interested. Looks like his prices may be a bit off from what I've seen. As soon as I talk to the body shop, I will see about getting my own parts.

You'll have to right click the image and save as TIF to see all 3 pages.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ws4Uz9dzQik/UAg4PR_Z--I/AAAAAAAAAwA/GMB26pGlZRU/s638/AdjusterReport.tif

tom4bren
07/19/2012, 09:45 AM
WooHoo!!!

Great news.

rsteinmetz70112
07/19/2012, 09:48 AM
If the prices are off usually the shop can get them adjusted, especially if they have done work for that insurance company on a regular basis.

Gussie2000
07/19/2012, 12:04 PM
PA i hope you get everything upo and running with much of a hassle,especially with the insurance company.

I love the VX no matter i am currently selling mines i just got so attach to it is hard to let the "horse" run away,but life sometimes plays against you will.

vt_maverick
07/19/2012, 12:31 PM
Good to hear! Something to remember on repairs, if you read your policy documents carefully you'll notice there are (probably) no limits set for individual repairs. You have a max comprehensive coverage that's probably at the $100K level or so, but no fixed price for individual repairs and/or parts. Insurance companies just like to pay no more than X for a repair (glass is a good example) but they have to pay whatever the body shop quotes them, provided the cost doesn't exceed the vehicle value of course.

vt_maverick
07/19/2012, 12:34 PM
One more tip, when the shop replaces the cladding, BE SURE TO TELL THEM YOU DON'T WANT IT PAINTED TO MATCH. The shop in Denver did that to my VX and now I can't use any Back to Black or Showroom New type products on it because it's been treated with some sort of chemical barrier that prevents them from absorbing. I'm pretty sure I can use GatorBack but it's still frustrating.

PA-99
07/19/2012, 01:38 PM
One more tip, when the shop replaces the cladding, BE SURE TO TELL THEM YOU DON'T WANT IT PAINTED TO MATCH. The shop in Denver did that to my VX and now I can't use any Back to Black or Showroom New type products on it because it's been treated with some sort of chemical barrier that prevents them from absorbing. I'm pretty sure I can use GatorBack but it's still frustrating.

Good info! I just went around and put a single coat of showroom new on a couple months ago. That was probably what I was worried about the most, the color not matching. Never went through an insurance claim before, so the other advise is helpful too.