PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Rs9000xl

sean_grigoros
07/16/2012, 11:49 AM
just had both front and rear rancho installed, set at 5, feels a lot better than OEM shocks, love them so much, anyone have preffer setting, for normal city drive. please advice.

Thanks

VX KAT
07/16/2012, 02:58 PM
just had both front and rear rancho installed, set at 5, feels a lot better than OEM shocks, love them so much, anyone have preffer setting, for normal city drive. please advice.

Thanks

I also changed out my OEMs for these Ranchos.
The brochure I got with mine suggested 6/3 for highway, 4/4 for Off-Road.
Mine starts to wallow/bounce too much if I have the fronts lower than 3.
I usually keep them at 4/4 or 5/5 as I go on dirt/rocky roads daily.
Other owners have said that EVEN AT 9, these are still softer than the OEMs. I agree.

RickOKC
07/16/2012, 04:52 PM
Other owners have said that EVEN AT 9, these are still softer than the OEMs. I agree.
Youuu raaaang??? :)

I usually keep mine at 9. I like the firmer ride and the nose dips less during braking than lower settings. Someone else said that if these had a setting equivalent to the OEM shocks, the highest setting would be 12 - I agree!

Since I have the MyRide system, I can change the settings on the fly. 9 is my favorite, but when our crappy roads become especially jagged / rough with potholes and overly-filled potholes, I'll switch to 4. Once the surface changes back to "soft, rolling hills" I notice the ride gets too bouncy and switch back to 9.

Maybe I'm not thinking something through, but I started liking the 9 setting even more once I put more air in my tires.

Mile High VX
07/16/2012, 06:25 PM
I run 8 all the way round...

VX KAT
07/16/2012, 06:34 PM
Youuu raaaang??? :)

Ummmm...no....you must be hearin' things again Rick-O! :laugho:.....:slap:

RickOKC
07/16/2012, 08:11 PM
Ummmm...no....you must be hearin' things again Rick-O! :laugho:.....:slap:VERY likely! [Whispering...] "I hear Fred people." Fred Mertz, Fred Flintstone, Freddy Prinze, Freddy Mercury, Fred Rogers, Fred Gwynne, Fred McMurray, Fred Savage, Fred Ward, Right Said Fred, etc.... it's all so very disturbing - why me, oh why, OH WHY!?!!! :laughing::rotate::laughing:

Ok, yeah, sorry... :slap:

Gizmo42
07/17/2012, 04:46 PM
I cant handle anything higher then 4/4 on road in my rodeo. Had them at 7/7 for our trail run on Argentine Pass which is ok off road but was killing me driving to work every day with it like that. For harder trails I crank them up to 9/9 so it doesnt bounce dropping off of larger rocks.

sean_grigoros
07/18/2012, 03:27 PM
cannot afford for myride yet, is that easy to install, bouchure said plug and play, don't seem to be that easy.

VX KAT
07/18/2012, 04:06 PM
cannot afford for myride yet, is that easy to install, bouchure said plug and play, don't seem to be that easy.

Just an FYI.....
I know Rick has the "myride" control thing, and it's still working, but when I was looking for the shocks, I read a ton of reviews that said that controller was a POS and broke /failed very quickly.

It was often offered free as a sale/promo with the purchase of the shocks, that's the only was I'd do it. Look at various sites for reviews on it.

H3_VX
07/18/2012, 05:12 PM
If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the 9000's?

RickOKC
07/18/2012, 05:31 PM
Just an FYI.....
I know Rick has the "myride" control thing, and it's still working, but when I was looking for the shocks, I read a ton of reviews that said that controller was a POS and broke /failed very quickly.

It was often offered free as a sale/promo with the purchase of the shocks, that's the only was I'd do it. Look at various sites for reviews on it.
^^^ Ditto... EXACTLY what KAT said!

I don't think I've ever found a review from a customer who was completely happy with MyRide. To be honest, I think I've patiently tolerated it in spite of it's faults because I'm such a tech/gizmo junkie. Based on the reviews, I would have NEVER bought it outright, but since it came as a "free" promotion when I bought a set of shocks on sale, I thought I would try it out.

Still, It's not ALL bad ALL the time. I absolutely LOVE the ability to change settings while driving. Some of my problems were because the shop did a lousy job with the power wiring. I fixed that myself a while back so now it's fine. However, I do have an appointment next week to take it back to the shop to fix an air leak for the forth(?) fifth(?) time. That's the part that kept my interest level low before I got it. I know systems driven by compressed air = begging for problems IMHO.

Fortunately, I expected problems so I kept all the original hardware (AND I even know where they are in the garage! :)) Next time I develop a leak, it goes back to the shop one last time to have the original manual control knobs put back in.

sean_grigoros
07/20/2012, 06:23 PM
i spent us 125 each shock. today just install 4 new michelin latitude 265/50/20 tire, will drive tomorrow and see how it goes, i setted at position 5 for the rancho, feel bite too soft. will try higher range

PK
07/21/2012, 03:26 AM
i spent us 125 each shock. today just install 4 new michelin latitude 265/50/20 tire, will drive tomorrow and see how it goes, i setted at position 5 for the rancho, feel bite too soft. will try higher range

Try 12 - that is almost as stiff as genuine shocks.

Oops - forgot the Rancho's only go to 9.:winky::winkgray::winko:

PK

Slideways
07/21/2012, 07:48 AM
Guess its how you drive it, but for high speed sections I wouldn't want anything softer then the normal shock, in fact I'm hoping when I have mine rebuilt they can add some more high speed compression to the shock.

Are the 9000s remote reservoir? If not I feel like I'd overheat them fairly quickly. Was thinking foxs, kings, or RR bilsteins. Which are obviously way more expensive. For what I want to do I was wondering if the 9000 was a cheaper alternative, but sounds like they are too soft.

sean_grigoros
07/21/2012, 08:03 PM
i set it at 8 at front and 7 at the back, seem already at city speed, try tomorrow on highway

H3_VX
07/21/2012, 08:18 PM
I think i'm gonna get some bilstein 5100's