PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu SUVs recalled for corrosion include 11,000 cars. Are you affected?

Y33TREKker
07/12/2012, 01:26 PM
Anyone sourced such parts to know if they are also used on the VX?

Isuzu Motors is issuing a recall of 1998 to 2001 models of their Amigo SUVs and 2002 models of the Rodeo Sport SUV vehicles due to a rear suspension issue that increase crash risks. The Tokyo-based car and truck manufacturer's recall is expected to affect 11,221 sport utility vehicles (SUVs) across 21 states and the District of Columbia.
Related stories

States affected by the Isuzu SUV recall include Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri and Kentucky.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says the vehicles are being recalled in regions where salt is used to clear the roads of ice and snow. Vehicles in these areas may suffer from excessive corrosion of the forward mounting point bracket for the left or right rear suspension lower link.

In the case of such corrosion, these suspension brackets can become detached from the vehicle's frame, affecting handling and increasing the risk of a crash.

Isuzu will notify owners by mail, and start the recall either in late July or early August, according to a company spokesperson. The NHTSA acknowledged the recall in a letter to Isuzu on Friday.

At the dealership, inspections and repairs will be free of charge, as long as the affected SUV is no more than 10 years old. Special restrictions and rules may apply to vehicles older than ten years.

Vehicles will be inspected for signs of corrosion. If little or no corrosion is found, the area will be treated with an anti-corrosive compound. For vehicles with corrosion that has damaged the rear suspension lower link bracket and hindered the connection to the vehicle frame, a reinforcement bracket will installed.

If the damage is beyond repair, Isuzu will offer to repurchase the vehicle based on the Kelley Blue Book “Private Party” price.

Isuzu is known in the US mainly for its line of mid-sized sport utility vehicles. The company is also one of the largest producers of large trucks, specializing in trucks with diesel engines. Isuzu products are sold in 100 countries worldwide, and overseas sales account for more than 65 percent of its business. Due to financial troubles, however, the company stopped selling new pickups and SUVs in the region in North America. Isuzu now only sells commercial vehicles in the US, earning 72.1 billion yen in the 2012 fiscal year so far.

This is a relatively small recall for the auto industry. Recalls that involve hundreds of thousands, and occasionally millions, of vehicles are not at all uncommon. The biggest on record in the US came in 2008 and 2009, when Ford recalled over 14 million vehicles because of a cruise control malfunction.

Scott Larson
07/12/2012, 01:34 PM
Now that makes perfect sense! All affected vehicles are over ten years old, so the 10 year old restriction makes the warrantied recall inapplicable!? :_brickwal

Y33TREKker
07/12/2012, 02:19 PM
That seemed somewhat convenient timing to me too since it was plain to see that all the possibly affected vehicles were ALL pretty much already 10 years old.

H3_VX
07/12/2012, 02:26 PM
Basically, the only vehicle that MIGHT be covered is a 2002 Rodeo Sport. What was the point of that recall?

rsteinmetz70112
07/12/2012, 02:40 PM
Reading a little more about it is seems that any vehicle over 10 years old must be presented to a dealer within 12 months of the recall. I don't see any indication that older vehicles won't be covered in some way, but there may be restrictions.

Gussie2000
07/12/2012, 03:19 PM
Amazing and bizzare recall of isuzu..............................10 years later.

As far as i know almost every single isuzu product in the north is affected by this rust issue,and i can openly say is more then 11000 vehicules so my question is :

Which are the restriction for those vehicules over 10 years. ?

The other question is : Which are the dealers they are talking about ?

Because there actually no isuzu dealers in the US

PK
07/12/2012, 05:10 PM
I don't think that is a new re-call.

I have seen it before, but cannot remember if it was on here, or on The Planet.

PK

blacksambo
07/12/2012, 08:23 PM
I have one 20 miles from me D'Ella Glens Falls/ Queensbury, N.Y.. Also. Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu in Missouri?

Amazing and bizzare recall of isuzu..............................10 years later.

As far as i know almost every single isuzu product in the north is affected by this rust issue,and i can openly say is more then 11000 vehicules so my question is :

Which are the restriction for those vehicules over 10 years. ?

The other question is : Which are the dealers they are talking about ?

89Vette
07/12/2012, 08:51 PM

Not that sell cars, but there are still Isuzu authorized parts/service centers -- which should serve the normal purpose of a "dealer". In my city, there are two -- that are both merged with other brands WITH current car sales.

Y33TREKker
07/12/2012, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, if my '01 were subject to that recall, I'm thinking that the St. Charles shop would be the closest to me even at 4 hours worth of driving away. Of course, it would be an opportunity to finally meet and be able to thank Merlin in person for all of his past assistance, so there'd be that.

Scott Larson
07/12/2012, 09:29 PM
I just wonder, if the lower link mounts get that rusty, what's left of the rest of the undercarriage and body? It can't be pretty!!:noo:

circmand
07/13/2012, 06:04 AM
NHTSA Recall History

: None

Nothing for VX

vt_maverick
07/13/2012, 09:28 AM
I don't think that is a new re-call.

I have seen it before, but cannot remember if it was on here, or on The Planet.

PK

It appears that it is new. This is the link from the official NHTSA website, scroll all the way to the bottom:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/latestRecalls.cfm

It indicates the manufacturer's report date was 6/29/12, or barely two weeks ago.

I agree that the timing is super shady - you know Isuzu knew this was going to be a problem years ago. I'm betting the post 10 years clause of "free remedy" without the hope of repurchase or rust-proofing will save them a boatload of money.

:thumbdn:

rsteinmetz70112
07/13/2012, 09:48 AM
From the HNTSA site:

FOR VEHICLES OLDER THAN 10 YEARS, ISUZU WILL OFFER A FREE REMEDY, BUT ONLY IF THE VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN ISUZU SERVICE FACILITY DEALER WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF WHEN OWNER NOTIFICATIONS WERE ISSUED.

THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING LATE JULY 2012. ISUZU OWNERS MAY CONTACT ISUZU AT 1-800-255-6727.

Looks to me like Owners of 10 year old vehicles will have until July 2013 to get to a dealer for a free fix.

vt_maverick
07/13/2012, 10:06 AM
I wonder exactly what that "free remedy" is though? Looks like Isuzu went to great detail in describing exactly what the repair was for vehicles less than 10 years old, then was (perhaps) deliberately vague in describing the remedy for everyone else.

Who knows, guess we'll have to keep an eye on the Planet to see what happens when someone shows up at the dealership.

blacksambo
07/13/2012, 10:42 AM
Boy! We live in a very salty climate and neither of our '99's show much rust. I think the zinc coated body metal really worked wonders.

Y33TREKker
07/15/2012, 09:45 AM
We've been over this before.
So the current recall that's been in the news lately has happened before?

Y33TREKker
07/15/2012, 06:38 PM
I did mention the new recall in my post, so that obviously was not the "we've been over this before" part.

That was meant for the, every Isuzu has this problem, what does the rest of the underbody look like, what is the free remedy, that was added in the thread.

Mark
I was just asking, and since your other post seems to be gone now, I'll go ahead and take your word for it.

89Vette
07/15/2012, 09:23 PM
So, who has even called an Isuzu facility to verify this AND if it even applies to the VX?