PDA

View Full Version : Idle + TOD problem. +VIDEO. PLZ HELP!!!

99_VX
07/05/2012, 04:49 PM
Today while driving home I noticed the car hesitating and felt some loss of power but didn't think much of it. I had to stop at the store and pickup something and found that the car was idling very rough and felt excessive hesitation when accelerating and lack of power. In addition, the TOD was not functioning correctly; it is only showing the back wheels light on and NO check light blinking.

I tried to put the car in 4lo and it shows all wheels on.

I am not sure if these are separate issues or one problem.Maybe a bad TPS could have all that effect.

I added a video to better explain the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2nJX6olx8A

There are a couple of starts in the video but @ 1:19 is the one that shows what I am talking about.
It is raining so don't mind the background noise.

I haven't seen the TOD being stuck in RWD without any mods.

Any help is appreciated!

Y33TREKker
07/05/2012, 05:20 PM
...I am not sure if these are separate issues or one problem.Maybe a bad TPS could have all that effect...

...I haven't seen the TOD being stuck in RWD without any mods...
The TPS does provide a direct input to the TOD ECU, so it's possible it could be causing the driveability issues you're experiencing, but I couldn't say whether a bad input signal from the TPS would explain the TOD being stuck in RWD. (Maybe it's a protective measure for the TOD clutch components that wouldn't fare well with intermittent and/or rapid ON/OFF engagements?)

Triathlete
07/05/2012, 06:01 PM
Fuel filter? Bad gas?...

99_VX
07/05/2012, 07:58 PM
Here is an update of what I have done in the past couple of hours,
I changed the TPS with a new unit and didn't help actually it made my idle rpm around 2K so I put the old one back in.
I also changed the Gas filter, Cleaned the MAF, changed the spark plugs.
That help the loss of power but it didn't improve the hesitation and the TOD is still RWD only.
I have also noticed that the hesitation is A LOT more relevant when I put the car in gear.
I also sprayed starter fluid all around the intake manifold and the vacuum line with any noticeable change in the idle rpm.
I think I might have solved the lack of power part of the issue with the Gas filter since it was filthy dirty (gas coming out of it.) On the other hand I have no idea where to start with TOD and the hesitation at when it is in gear.

Any ideas where to go from here???

89Vette
07/05/2012, 09:30 PM
Timing belt jumped?

99_VX
07/05/2012, 10:04 PM
I am just finished checking everything and fond a bad connection on cylinder 3 after changing the spark plugs. So now the hesitation and the idle problem seem to be gone and the car is actually driving better than before except that it is still stuck in RWD.

I think the main problem I was having was due to a bad fuel filter and cleaning the MAF helped. That still doesn't explain the TOD issue...

Anyone had seen a TOD stuck in RWD?

VXorado
07/05/2012, 10:27 PM
I would check the TOD ECU under the passenger seat. Maybe the wiring harness has a loose connection? JoFotoz disables his TOD by pulling the ECU wiring harness and I believe it doesn't throw a code.

...otherwise you should get a flashing check light if there's a TOD issue.

Y33TREKker
07/06/2012, 10:30 AM
Have you checked whether the TOD ECU has any codes stored? There's a section in the downloadable manual outlining how to check for stored codes and how to clear codes. Chapter 4B2: Diagnosis - Self Diagnosis

pbkid
07/06/2012, 11:08 AM
Definately try a quick ecu reset. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15-30 mins and then hook it back up.
After the lack of fuel and bad spark it could be a protection mode. Just my $.02

Maybe also cycle the key on and off quickly 10 or so times. That can also help reset sensors.

evillecutter
07/06/2012, 11:14 AM
mine is doing the same thing but without the tod problem - i suspect gremlins

99_VX
07/06/2012, 12:33 PM
So ok the hesitations and lack of power is totally gone after the mini tune I did. As I said I suspect the gas filter was the main problem.
Evillecutter, I would advise starting with the gas filter.

As for the TOD I still have no idea! I am going to try to check the connection but if you check the video you can see that it does the full light check of the TOD with no issues.

I am thinking that the TOD think that I am stationary due to a bad sensor so it stays in RWD?

I also tried to reset the car multiple times without any change...

evillecutter
07/06/2012, 11:10 PM
changed the fuel filter 1k miles ago when problem first came about...

99_VX
07/08/2012, 02:42 PM
When ignition is turned before you crank the engine does the check TOD light turns on with the other TOD lights while the car is beeping?

Y33TREKker
07/08/2012, 03:06 PM
When ignition is turned before you crank the engine does the check TOD light turns on with the other TOD lights while the car is beeping?

Mine does.

The "Check" light is illuminated along with all the other light segments in the TOD display. Then, after a second or so, the segments for the front wheels go out leaving only the segments for the rear wheels illuminated. This is all with the ignition switch turned to the first position before trying to actually start engine.

99_VX
07/08/2012, 07:42 PM
Well mine doesn't. You can actually see it in the video...
Has anyone seen this issue before?

99_VX
07/26/2012, 10:00 PM
So my idle problem is coming from a bad coil. I disconnected coil #3 and the hesitations stayed the same. Disconnect coil #1 and it got bad... so I switched coil #3 and #1. Disconnected #3 and the problem got worse. Disconnected #1 and no change... Where is a good place to get an inexpensive coil...

evillecutter
07/27/2012, 12:40 PM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?searchType=global&N=0&Ntt=ignition+coil&submit=

there's a bunch of sketchy looking ones on ebay (i looked when i was having my idle problem) but ive always had good luck with this company

yellowgizmo99
07/28/2012, 04:40 PM
Check your PM's

tom4bren
07/30/2012, 05:30 AM
Have you checked whether the TOD ECU has any codes stored? There's a section in the downloadable manual outlining how to check for stored codes and how to clear codes. Chapter 4B2: Diagnosis - Self Diagnosis

Agree. Check for stored codes & clear.

After that, find an open field or a dirt parking lot. Do a couple of figure 8's in reverse. I'm not expecting much out of that (it's an old trick for mechanical transfer cases when they get wound up - but ya never know). Now to test for sensor inputs. Put her in reverse & really punch the gas - see if you can get those rear wheels to spin. Repeat process in Drive.

If none of that works - nothin lost - you had a little fun.

Now for the really stoopid question (those are the ones I'm best at): Is your transfer case selector all the way in TOD. We don't have any settings between 4L & TOD but sometimes it can get caught in between.

Porschepitstop
04/21/2013, 02:38 PM
The problem you are having sound like the front wheel engagement actuator which is controlled by vacum from the engine, via two solenoids via the TOD system. These are located on the front axle behind a plate .

blacksambo
04/23/2013, 07:41 PM
Can't wait for the solution to this mystery.....somebody here sure has it.

blacksambo
04/23/2013, 07:52 PM
Oh wait...did you check the fuse?