PDA

View Full Version : Engine is shot

Cptnmorgan
10/14/2003, 06:28 PM
Looks as if my #1 has gone bad on my VX. Figures that I am 2000 miles out of warranty!!! So far I have been quoted $4,500 for a used engine. ;eekr; Question is of those of you that have had this problem, and paid to get it fixed, what was your avergae cost? Did they replace the engine, or fix the parts?:waab: :mad:

Dallas4u
10/14/2003, 07:58 PM
Here's another question... is there anything we should look for or notice before this happens to anyone else?

Cptnmorgan
10/15/2003, 05:41 AM
For mine it came pretty quick, I noticed after a trip to Colorado that the engine oil was low. I re-filled and everything seemed fine. Then it starts burning oil, and I hear a knocking noise BEFORE the oil light even comes on. It starts burning more oil. The oil burning is not noticable anywhere but on the dipstick, there was no smoke blowing and miniscule oil on the ground where I park. Basically NO sign of oil loss other than the egine knocking on acceleration. I had the oil changed, and kept rolling, after 1000 miles I took it in to have the fluids topped off. 2.5 quarts low. I was driving home a few days later, and the engine in mid driving starts making a very LOUD knocking sound. So loud I heard if over the radio at 70 mph!!!! That was the end!!!!

Vasha13
10/15/2003, 05:45 AM
How many miles did you have on the engine before it blew?

WormGod
10/15/2003, 06:58 AM
Jeeez, sorry to hear that. :(

Maybe you can pioneer the direct injection Axion engine into your VX. Youll be needing an engine anyways. ;)

iownvx
10/15/2003, 12:26 PM
warranty on powertrain is 10 years for model year 00-01. it is covered.

Navigator
10/15/2003, 12:52 PM
... Many companies offer extended warrantys to late model cars sight unseen. It'll cost you about $1000 but that is a better deal than forking over $4500. www.warrantybytel.com can help you thru this troubling time. Good Luck :luck:

Cyrk
10/15/2003, 12:55 PM
I just got a platinum extended warranty when I bought my lease out from Isuzu with my credit union... was able to tell them that the VX is supercharger too, so if I have any problems related to that I should be fine, I hope?

-Dave

Cptnmorgan
10/15/2003, 01:50 PM
Mine is a '99 2nd owner with 61950 miles on it. The worst part of this is, when I heard the ticking I decided it was time to trade. The DAY before I trade it it starts the LOUD knocking...... I could have cried. So now the dealership is trying to work with me on getting it fixed. I called Isuzu to talk to them about possibly covering it. I have all my oil change receipts from the day I bought it.

Comments from Isuzu HQ:

Don Pablos, Souther Region Representative for Isuzu owners:

"We will not cover it since it is out of warranty, would not cover it if it was only a week out of warranty. We will document it in our system. If you build over 100,000 of something there will be problems. There were 9000 VX's produced in the three years it was availble. You should have bought an extended warranty."

Sounds like this boy needs to do some more research!!! I HATE ISUZU SERVICE!!!!! The MAIN reason I ever wanted to get rid of the VX!!!!! I would have liked to keep it forever, unfortunately economics will not let that happen........

I now own a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. At least now I have warranty. Too bad I now have to refinance it to include repairs of a VehiCROSS.
:cryr:

:cryr: :cryr:

AlaskaVX
10/15/2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Cptnmorgan
61950 miles
:eek: time for me to get an extended warranty
How much for a new engine? From my experience don't buy a used or rebuilt one. Its probobally only $1000 more. That is if you plan on keeping it. I dropped 3 rebuilt engines into my old Bronco II in 6 months :freek:

]Originally posted by Cyrk
I just got a platinum extended warranty when I bought my lease out from Isuzu with my credit union... was able to tell them that the VX is supercharger too
How much did you pay? How many miles? etc., etc......

zadam123
10/15/2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by iownvx

Isnt that the same as the 99?

adam

VehiX
10/15/2003, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear about this cptmorgan :(

However, you could be the first to try and grab one of those new axiom engines and put it in the VX! :naughty:

Hell, that engine almost has me wishin mine would kick the bucket too!!! (Knocks on wood I guess).

Cptnmorgan
10/15/2003, 04:57 PM
The 99's have a 6 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. 00-01 have the 10 year 100,000 for the ORIGINAL owner only. After that it reverts to the 6 year 60,000 for the next owners.

Cptnmorgan
10/15/2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by iownvx

It's NOT covered for me as mine is a 99 model!!:(

One other thing I think I forgot to mention.

THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NEVER CAME ON!!!!!!:thumbdn: :freek:

VehiX
10/15/2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Cptnmorgan
The 99's have a 6 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. 00-01 have the 10 year 100,000 for the ORIGINAL owner only. After that it reverts to the 6 year 60,000 for the next owners.

I thought 99's had a 3 or 5 year 50,000 mile warrenty? :confused:

SoilDoc
10/15/2003, 06:06 PM
CaptnMorgan: I am sorry for your loss.

Are there any statistics on the numbers of VXs with blown engines. Seems like this is fairly common (I recall this makes it about 5 or so engines so far, #1 in all of them). I am curious if it is the early produced models like the 99s or if it is striking randomly?????

drdavidr4u
10/15/2003, 06:17 PM
When I took delivery on my 2001 vx today(second ownership) I grilled the dealer on the warranty not all the sales folk could agree!!!
After they came back from the huddle they told me its 3 yr 50,000 miles bumper to bumper and 6 yrs 60,000mi drivetrain.
Should I belive them?!

SGT.BATGUANO
10/15/2003, 11:27 PM
Get it in writing

tiggergreen
10/15/2003, 11:57 PM
Before you get it repaired... If I understood you correctly, you were wanting to trade this in anyway... How much will you take for the Vehicross right now? I need a VX for an electric conversion, so this would be perfect...

Brent
www.xanderstudios.com

ron
10/16/2003, 12:15 AM
Cptnmorgan...

I had my engine (shortblock) replaced because of #1 when it was in its early 14k. And mine was an '01 too. So, I don't think that the issue is only isolated with '99s.

During the repair (under warranty), they replaced the shortblock and the timing belt since it was all taken apart. They assembled everything back with the other original parts. I believe that even though the incidences happen to VX owners every now and then, this is a common problem with the 3.5 and 3.2 engines which includes the Troopers and Rodeos (I think).

If the repair is done at the dealership, then it takes about a week or two to get it rolling again after receipt of the new shortblock. Good luck if you plan to pursue any type of warranty claim with Isuzu or someone else. Let us know of the final outcome.

David Wiltshire
10/16/2003, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear of your problems, it is also worrying for me and probably fellow U.K. VX owners as I doubt if any of us have any cover for this sort of problem. Looks like this is an issue for further investigation

Green Dragon
10/16/2003, 01:56 PM
Some more info as well as some misinfo-

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=itog&msg=1198.53

Don't overfill crankcase as this raises crankcase pressure.

Honda does not make the Isuzu Engine.

Do not wait until oil is a quart low to add oil. I keep mine at top mark on dipstick at all times. I change my Filter ( Amsoil-STP) do not use Fram Filters & oil ( Synthetic )at 5000 miles.

Dragon Bob;Db;

This is an 18 month old post that has been re-edited & the Link does not work. Basically, I use Mobil 1 OIL Synthetic WT 5-30- Change oil & Filter every 5000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first. I clean PCV with brake cleaner & just yesterday checked & cleaned the EGR Valve. So Far So Good I don't burn any oil. I wonder if there have been any engine failures, when Synthetic oil was in use & what oil filter was installed when these failures occured. Also what is the failure rate in Japan if any & what does their warranty cover?

Dallas4u
10/16/2003, 07:53 PM
May possibly want to look at THIS? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33617&item=2436980969)

nocturnalVX
10/16/2003, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear of your mechanical/financial troubles. Figures it happens AFTER the warranty ends. Good luck getting it fixed, and oh yeah... if it's a choice between the Axiom engine or electric, I vote Axiom (unless the batteries can put out 230 horses).

Dallas4u
10/16/2003, 09:23 PM
Batteries won't put out high hp, but they will put out phenomenal torque numbers.

Cptnmorgan
10/17/2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
May possibly want to look at THIS? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33617&item=2436980969)

The auction states it's for the 3.2 liter engine. Will this interchange with the 3.5 liter? It says it will work for the vehicross if it's a 3.2???? The VX never had a 3.2 in the U.S..........

Spike
10/18/2003, 12:07 PM
That is exactly how mine happened 2 months (and 2000mi) after I got my VX

She had 29,000 on her...

Sounded like a very light tap at first... then 2 or so miles later.... loud clanking...

Dealership repair, from day it was towed, to repair. was like just shy of 2 weeks ... most of it consisted of waiting for them to look at it, getting authorization, ordering the parts and waiting for them to arrive.

Installation itself took about a day and a half.

There were no signs of trouble prior to it going bad. It ran strong up until the noise started.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I had to call Isuzu directly to get my warranty transferred...

majork
03/03/2005, 10:02 PM
I have a 99 VX now with over 130,000miles....have not noted any serious engine problems....of the former type.....there is the usual mild valve noise you would have in any engine when the hoods up....

I have been using Mobil 1 since it had 8000 miles...maybe that helped

Of course maybe I just jinxed myself

thebear54
03/04/2005, 03:17 AM
Hmmm....I was told by my dealer when I bought the Ironman that Isuzu's warranty was for 7 years or 70k on the powertrain. Who knows for sure...Dealers have lied before.
If I was in your shoes Capt. I would investigate the "replacement" Direct Injection motor (3.5, 250 ponies vs 215).
I would be very interested to find out what actually happened with your motor. Can you post when you find out what caused the blow up?
Good luck
John

deermagnet
03/04/2005, 05:53 AM
John, this is your correct powertrain warranty info right from the '99 warranty book.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/imags/ptrain.png

Here's some other related warranty stuff-

"The Isuzu New Vehicle Limited Warranty is extended to the first owner and all subsequent owners of the vehicle during the warranty period."
36 months or 50K miles.

Isuzu Roadside Assistance Program is for the duration of the stated warranty- towing, flat tires, out of fuel, dead battery, and lockout. Call 1-800-444-0303.

What is not covered: Misuse, abuse, etc. Tires.
Surface corrosion on OTHER THAN body panels, battery, seat upholstery, A/C refrigerant, AFTER the first 12 months or 12K miles.

"The Isuzu Limited Warranty Covering Perforation from Corrosion is extended to the first owner and all subsequent owners of the vehicle during the warranty period."
72 months or 100K miles.
All body sheet metal panels for perforation or "rust-through" due to corrosion.

Warranty Covering Federal Emission Control Systems for new 1999 Isuzu Vehicles
2 years or 24K miles.
Air/Fuel System
Evaporative Emission Control System
PCV System
EGR System
Ignition System

8 years or 80K miles.
Powertrain Control Module
Three-Way Catalytic Converter

Warranty Covering California Emission Control Systems for new 1999 Isuzu Vehicles
3 years or 50K miles.
Any emission related part.
Repairs due to Smog Check inspection failure.

7 years or 70K miles.
Air/Fuel System
Evaporative Emission Control System
Catalytic Converter System

Mark Griffin

Locomigo
03/04/2005, 06:56 AM
The auction states it's for the 3.2 liter engine. Will this interchange with the 3.5 liter? It says it will work for the vehicross if it's a 3.2???? The VX never had a 3.2 in the U.S..........

The 3.2/3.5 is the same block. The heads are slightly different with a longer bore/stroke to eek out the 8.5% increase in displacement.

The wiring harness should match up.

GoIsuzu
03/04/2005, 02:37 PM
Was the four thousand you were quoted for a partial assembly or a long block?

Moncha
03/04/2005, 02:40 PM
Before this one gets too far gone with questions that may not be able to be answered by the original poster check the date on the last post (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=18750&postcount=27) before it got revived.

YELWVX 1
03/04/2005, 04:43 PM
About 2 weeks ago I do my bi weekly engine oil check and wouldn't you know I'm low. So I put 1 qt. in and everything seems ok, except for a slight tick. Fast forward to last night, I am driving home and I hear some awful noise over the radio. Turn down the radio and it sounds at first like something is vibrating, then I realize it is the engine. I was about two miles from home so I drove on. Let the beast sit for about half an hour and check the oil, it is reading about 1/8 of a quart high. Drain some oil out this morning thinking this may have been the cause as I have heard some engines hate having even a drop too much oil. Start the car and sound is awfull, even worse than before. Come on line to ask what everyone thinks and what do I see but this thread. The similarities are uncanny, it started as a little tick, no oil anywhere,on the ground, around the filter, nowhere. Then a loud knocking, my VX has 54K on it. Has anyone else had any problems like this?

Offroad vx
03/06/2005, 02:19 PM
I see that Deermagnet has 1999 warranty info but does anybody know the particulars on the 2000s? I've heard everything from a 5/50,000 to a 7/70,000 warranty. I would love some info so I know where I stand.

AnalogVX
03/06/2005, 03:18 PM
About 2 weeks ago I do my bi weekly engine oil check and wouldn't you know I'm low. So I put 1 qt. in and everything seems ok, except for a slight tick. Fast forward to last night, I am driving home and I hear some awful noise over the radio. Turn down the radio and it sounds at first like something is vibrating, then I realize it is the engine. I was about two miles from home so I drove on. Let the beast sit for about half an hour and check the oil, it is reading about 1/8 of a quart high. Drain some oil out this morning thinking this may have been the cause as I have heard some engines hate having even a drop too much oil. Start the car and sound is awfull, even worse than before. Come on line to ask what everyone thinks and what do I see but this thread. The similarities are uncanny, it started as a little tick, no oil anywhere,on the ground, around the filter, nowhere. Then a loud knocking, my VX has 54K on it. Has anyone else had any problems like this?

Welcome to the board neighbor!
Does it sound like a diesel engine? If so, search for EGR or EGR vavle and follow the advice posted and check the connection. If the connection is loose, it will rattle pretty loud. If the sound is seems like it's coming from the front of the engine...I would get it to the dealer or a mechanic asap. The #1 cylinder crank bearing is the one that seems to go. I have had my oil level not show on the dipstick a few times, but (knock wood) all is still well. You are right to check the level often.
GOOD LUCK!

YELWVX 1
03/07/2005, 12:38 PM
Dropped my truck off today and received a call about an hour ago from the service manager. Good news, the engine is already on order and so far there seems to be no hassles. I asked if this was something they have seen before and was given no real answer but it wasn't denied either. For all of you Chicago are VXers I take mine to Family Pontiac, Olds , Isuzu in North Aurora. They have been pretty helpful and seem to treat warranty issues quickly and without alot of hassle. This is the same dealership that replaced all 4 of my rims 12 months ago due to peeling.

Anita
03/07/2005, 12:52 PM
I see that Deermagnet has 1999 warranty info but does anybody know the particulars on the 2000s? I've heard everything from a 5/50,000 to a 7/70,000 warranty. I would love some info so I know where I stand.

New 2000-2001's have the 10 year/120K mile warranty. Cuts in half to subsequent owners. Details on what that covers is on the Isuzu.com website.

majork
05/18/2005, 09:44 PM
I have 99 with going on 141000 miles (started with 8000, dealer demo)...

I have noticed ticking noises on occasion but never progressed to anything

Not sure why some 99 engines are faulty

From the dealer; it seems rountine replacement of the timing belt and valve adjusts are important with this engine...

I would buy an extended warranty based on current knowledge, but I am sure the VX is too over the hill to obtain one...

http://www.rebuiltcarengines.com.......anybody know anything about this rebuilt engine sight