PDA

View Full Version : Replacing radiator...which one?

BeelzabubbaX
06/27/2012, 09:14 PM
Need to replace my radiator(crack on top). As you all know lots of cheap choices on eBay. Only problem after looking at a few of the choices is that they all say they are for the Vehicross but some say they are one row and some they are two. So which is it? I'm sure it must matter some how. Which one is in our VX. Also their measurements are slightly different one to another, very small differences, but still. Let me know what you guys have replaced with. Thanks.

JoFotoz
06/27/2012, 09:31 PM
If you use the search function, and put in Radiator...

...you'll get this :-

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php?searchid=465000

As you will see, your question is at the top (right now!).

But if you look down the list you can pick relevant threads...
...... and get lots of answers to your question.

Hope that helps

jo

BeelzabubbaX
06/27/2012, 09:41 PM
Did that already. Read for over an hour. Never found answer to my specific question.

BeelzabubbaX
06/27/2012, 09:43 PM
Sorry, that sounded snarky. It's been a long day.

JoFotoz
06/27/2012, 09:52 PM
Dont fret dude..good save!!.. :p

Fact is, as we often see .
.....many do not know how to use search :eek:

Dont know if you want an OEM..or ?

This thread from that list is all about semi custom aluminium radiators..

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20866&highlight=Radiator

..giving increased cooling and long life.

But they are a load o' $$$$$$$$$$$'s

VXKat can fill ya in....she has one...MAYBE she has her original left..for sale??!!

Cheers

jo

BeelzabubbaX
06/27/2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I was checking all that out. The all aluminum looks awesome, but I really need function over form. "MAX" has never had an overheating problem. Just a small crack that seeps coolant. I just want oem. Nothing fancy. I just don't know if one or two rows makes a diff. The first page on ebay when you look them up is full of both types. And they're all about $70. Is that too cheap. I don't know. Just want OEM equivalent or better.

Zu4two
06/27/2012, 11:10 PM
I found out the hard way that there are some radiators out there that supposedly are speced for the Vehicross, but don't work very well. I bought a radiator off Amazon. It was from Performance Radiator. The thickness of the radiator was a little under 3/4 of an inch. I questioned the manufacturer, since the OEM one measures about 1 3/8" thick. They said it was fine and due to advances in design that the thickness didn't matter. Well, they basically lied! The radiator would cool fine until I hit the highway, at which point it just wouldn't keep up and the temp gauge would climb into the hot range.

After trying some other things, thinking it couldn't be my new radiator, I finally went and bought another radiator. This fixed the overheating. The second time I bought a radiator from Parts Geek. It was a Spectra Premium radiator, and while not quite the OEM thickness, it was a lot thicker (around 1 1/4" or so) and worked just fine even sitting on the trails in Moab with the AC on. Funny thing is, I spent less money with Parts Geek than I did on Amazon.

When replacing the radiator, make sure you re-use the rubber gasket that seals it to the radiator support. This rubber also cushions the radiator and keeps it from cracking.

BeelzabubbaX
06/27/2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks, that's some good intel. It just makes me sick to hear stories like yours.
It seems like the more choices we get(via the all powerful internet) the more we get screwed. ;puke2;

PK
06/28/2012, 12:19 AM
The difference in thickness mentioned by Zu4two, is to do with 1 row or 2 rows.

3/4" thick could only be single row, and our standard radiators are 2 row.

PK

BeelzabubbaX
06/28/2012, 12:33 AM
Thank you PK. That's what I'm looking for. 2 rows.

VX KAT
06/28/2012, 02:45 AM
A few additional factors made me go with the custom ALL ALUMINUM:

1) The OEM is $420 vs. $600...I felt the $180 additional cost gave me worthwhile benefits.... (additional cooling capacity, durability)

2)The OEM has a plastic tank or whatever they call it. THe custom is all aluminum. Plastic will eventually age, get brittle, and start to leak somewhere.

With you living in TX and having such intense heat, ....I think the heat would contribute to the aging of plastic (yeah, I know UV and ozone would also factor into it). I lived in Dallas for almost 15 yrs....so I know about those hot summer temps :freek:... it bakes the carp out of stuff!

Live in Arizona now, avg 85 - 90 summer days, (although today was 103 :freek::freek:..how ya doin' down there Billy, Kirk, et al??:wave:), and we have around 10-17% humidity.....

I felt the temp, low humidity, etc.. would also affect the plastic, so I splurged a little. :thumbup:

It has about 3x the cooling capacity and the entire unit is aluminum, there's no plastic.
The fins are 2.25" deep vs. the OEMs of a little shy of 1.5". *** the depth of the fins are important...not just 2 rows of them ***
It has 2 rows of 1" tubes.
Weighs around 14 lbs vs. OEM 11 lbs.
Holds a few more ounces than the OEM
Part number is 1-24RO9397

Hope you get your issue all sorted out. :thumbup:

rowhard
06/28/2012, 04:51 AM
I too could not justify the cost of a custom, (wish I could) nor am I lock into having to use only OEM equipment (and no, I'm not trying to open a debate on that subject). I just bought a replacement from NAPA for $184.00 with my 10% discount. Nothing wrong with the one I have other then it's been in there since 2000. And since I have it apart, am also mounting a trans cooler I bought from Summit Racing for 56 bucks delivered.

Zu4two
06/28/2012, 10:23 AM
A couple of comments.

My OEM rad was only a single row, as is my replacement. It's just that the capillary tubes are wider. When going to a double row setup, you have to consider airflow. The cooling efficiency will not increase if you can't get the air through the radiator. I think the limited air intake area on the front of the VX would make the switch to double rows a wash, unless you increase the power of the fan.

Not to dis on custom radiators, but my $105 aftermarket replacement radiator wasn't have cooling problems on Top of the World a couple of months ago ;)

www.partsgeek.com

JoFotoz
06/28/2012, 12:17 PM
Heya Sue...

Do you still have your OEM radiator?
Is it for sale?

Jo

VX KAT
06/28/2012, 12:49 PM
Heya Sue...

Do you still have your OEM radiator?
Is it for sale?

Jo

oh yeah, forgot to mention that. ...still have it.
It wasn't leaking or anything, and actually never officially overheated or spewed coolant.
Bubba- you interested in it?