PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh....

SouthJ1
06/26/2012, 03:18 PM
My Vx has recently started an issue where I'll be driving along, hit a bump, and my Vx will just die. It won't let me start the engine in neutral anymore either so I have to stop put it in park and crank it back up

Triathlete
06/26/2012, 04:06 PM
Is it throwing any codes?
Check the plug on the ecu?

IndianaVX
06/26/2012, 04:34 PM
Any powerwashing under the hood recently? While hood is up, start the truck and wiggle the wiring harness-es. I think "climbcovey" had a similar problem, seems like his was a harness. Good luck, hope it's simple!

MSHardeman
06/27/2012, 08:11 AM
Others have had a problem with one of the wiring harnesses that goes through the radiator support (I think) rubbing against the metal and exposing a couple of wires thus creating a short. The fact that it won't start in neutral any more makes me wonder if it's the ignition interrupt switch. I've never tried to start mine in neutral so I don't know how it would work, but in Park there is a little solenoid/switch that allows you to shift out of park only if you depress the brake pedal. If the VX is running, and the radio is off or down, you can actually hear the switch click when you step on the brake pedal.

That's my WAG (Wild ***** Guess).:_confused

SouthJ1
07/01/2012, 04:20 AM
No codes Triathlete,I'm gonna check around the radiator supports tomorrow. And I've only pressure washed under the hood 3 or 4 times so far

Mile High VX
07/01/2012, 07:30 AM
Had this exact same issue with my '69 Z28...the wire that feeds the tach had worn out at the firewall and was shorting out.

Definatly sounds like a short or loose connection associated with spark. Another thought would be that the gear selector could have a short as well. Hit a bump and it gets out of alignment so you have to put it in Park to get it "reset".

That's my WAG....