PDA

View Full Version : Car Covers

nfpgasmask
06/21/2012, 04:11 PM
So, the VX is going to spend a little time in the driveway while the Impulse and the '91 get work done in the garage. I'm thinking of buying a car cover to protect the VX from the sun. So, who has one and what do you recommend? My main concern is UV protection. My second concern is possibly trying to find one that fits over the roof rack, but that is not a big deal. I can take the rack and tire off for now. Mainly, I just want to block out the harmful rays of the sun.

Suggestions?

Bart

Y33TREKker
06/21/2012, 04:21 PM
Brand would just come down to personal preference, so my only suggestions would be to get a multi-layer cover as close to custom fit as possible (thicker covers keep their custom shapes better), and even then, keep it tied at the bottom at all times to restrict movement as much as possible (movement on the paint is not good once it's dirty - so similar to those magnetic hood bras, taking it off occasionally to clean both the cover and the paint underneath is a good idea).

nfpgasmask
06/21/2012, 04:32 PM
Cool, yeah, the more I look, it seems like the best option is to get a custom fit one and just remove the roof rack.

Thanks - Bart

Y33TREKker
06/22/2012, 08:30 AM
The previous owner of my VX included a custom cover in the sale, and it fits with the roof rack installed. I don't know if it was actually custom made to fit WITH a roof rack, but those few inches of extra height don't seem to affect the overall fit. As a matter of fact, leaving the roof rack on might help to save the finish on the roof by decreasing how much contact the cover has with the roof over time.

nfpgasmask
06/22/2012, 10:09 AM
Cool. And when you say roof rack, you don't just mean the cross bars, but an actual rack/basket/etc on top? Either way, I'm going to order a custom fit one.

Thanks - Bart

Y33TREKker
06/22/2012, 12:37 PM
Cool. And when you say roof rack, you don't just mean the cross bars, but an actual rack/basket/etc on top? Either way, I'm going to order a custom fit one.

Thanks - Bart
Yeah, I just meant something like the stock roof rack/cross bars. I suppose a person could request a custom, custom cover made to accommodate a basket on top depending on how difficult it is to take the basket off though, so that would be up to you.

My guess would be that the cover I have was made simply for a VX with no roof rack/cross bars installed (since they were a factory option), but it's still fit down over the side view mirrors with no need for further adjustment even with the extra inches of additional height of the roof rack/cross bars and a Thule wind deflector assembly attached to the front cross bar.

Cobrajet
06/25/2012, 05:18 AM
I have way too much experience with car covers, and have found that I get the best fit from California Car Cover Company (http://www.calcarcover.com). (I bought one from Wolf for my Mustang, and all four corners ripped as it was being installed.) I had been using the Stormweave for many years, and then the Noah, but they both allow the water to wick through, leaving a heavy dust on the surface, which required car cleaning before I could drive. The latest cover I bought is the Superweave material, which is very thin, light, and water resistant. Now I can remove the cover and just drive, without having to break out the duster. It also folds up into a smaller bundle that fits easily in a small bag. The only disadvantage is that it is so light that it can easily blow off, so I also bought their Gust Guard clamps (http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=2708), which work great. CCCC has covers for the VX with and without a rack, as well as modified models.

nfpgasmask
06/25/2012, 08:32 AM
Gregg, thanks, going to check their site now!!

Bart

rowhard
06/25/2012, 05:05 PM
Bart, spec's on this read well, though a bit spendy

http://www.carcoverworld.com/sunbrella.asp?gclid=CNio257N6rACFQxshwodHCH3uw

TheGanzman
06/30/2012, 06:06 PM
Bart - I bought THE BEST car cover from CA Car Company for the year I lived in Phoenix; as it turned out, I found a place in the shade to park it, so it only got used twice. I paid $371 for it custom made for the VX; I don't anticipate using it anymore. I'd sell it to you for $200 even; lemme know if that'll work for you. It fits around the bottom VERY tightly; NO way it'll blow off! I also got the "rope things" for the bottom, and the bag for the cover. Email me at ganzman@cox.net

rowhard
07/01/2012, 05:55 PM
If Bart doesn't take it, I sure would be interested. Which fabric is it?

swift16
07/02/2012, 02:43 AM
If the above doesn't work out try covercraft's outlet section of their website. They offer a black material that is water resistant, light weight and cheap, mine cost $255.00 and is a custom fit. Hope that this helps.

rowhard
07/04/2012, 10:51 AM
If the above doesn't work out try covercraft's outlet section of their website. They offer a black material that is water resistant, light weight and cheap, mine cost $255.00 and is a custom fit. Hope that this helps.

Like Bart, am looking for UV protection for the Nevada weather.

jeeperkate
10/05/2012, 09:57 AM
Reviving this thread....what did you guys end up with for a car cover?? Do you like it? Would you recommend it?

I am storing the VX for the winter in a BIG warehouse that has a lot of wood dust flying around and a slight breeze. I want to make sure my baby stays protected, so I need a cover for Betty!

Any input would be welcome!

Thanks!

nfpgasmask
10/05/2012, 10:18 AM
I still need one myself. I just haven't dropped the coin yet.

Bart

Maddawg
10/06/2012, 09:39 AM
If anyone comes across a light weight cover let me know. I was given a thin parachute type generic cover 20 years ago (lol, seriously) and its still good (sorta). I only use it in my garage to keep the dust off. It folds up easily and takes very little space. Works great! But I need another one for another car and can't seem to find a supplier.

Cobrajet
10/07/2012, 01:37 PM
If anyone comes across a light weight cover let me know...

See my post #7 above. The Superweave cover from California Car Cover Company is very light, but also expensive (compared to their other products.) It's so light that it can be a pain to remove if there is much more than a light breeze, and forget installing it alone on a windy day. Like a parachute, it wants to blow away! :)

Maddawg
10/07/2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks Gregg!!

Triathlete
10/07/2012, 02:31 PM
If you are looking for a light inexpensive cover juat to keep the dust off check out "seat shield". They are made to protect your seat from sweat and dirt after running or working out. They are waterproof and take about 2 seconds to instal/remove. They are under $20 each. I have had one for over 5 years that I throw on my seat after running. Easy to clean...gentle washing machine, line dry.

Maddawg
10/07/2012, 02:36 PM
Somehow I don't think those are going to cover my VX, a bit small. But good to know! Thanks Billy!!

Triathlete
10/07/2012, 03:03 PM
Reading comprehension failure...my nrain saw "seat" covers instead of "car" covers.:bwgy:

Scott Larson
10/07/2012, 04:15 PM
Don't feel bad Billy, not only do I have lysdexia I also suffer from a severe case of SRC...Can't Remember Sh#t!:_confused :_beer:

Maddawg
10/07/2012, 04:45 PM
And I thought I was bad, lol.:grino::yeso::grino::yeso::grino:

Scott Larson
10/07/2012, 04:54 PM
Bad is a relative term...:rotate: And I've got plenty of relatives! [Groucho Marx] :cool!:

Maddawg
10/08/2012, 03:33 PM
Bad is a relative term...:rotate: And I've got plenty of relatives! [Groucho Marx] :cool!:

Hahahah, I didn't think anyone but me would know who Groucho Marx is. You just outted yourself Scott.:winky:

Triathlete
10/08/2012, 04:49 PM
Who doesn't know who Groucho is? :O