PDA

View Full Version : Can You Name another Limited Production Low Cost Vehicle?

Navigator
10/14/2003, 06:18 AM
I am curious if their was another manufacturer who developed a cool limited production vehicle (under 10,000 made) just about anybody could afford.

Spike
10/14/2003, 07:57 AM
What do you consider 'low cost' ???

Dallas4u
10/14/2003, 08:05 AM
I guess for the amount that were produced, $31k would seem low cost, although I wouldn't have been able to afford one brand new at the time I purchased mine.

Navigator
10/14/2003, 08:10 AM
A car someone with a median income could afford. This varies with the time period... 30k in the mid 1960's was an outrageous amount to pay for Joe Shmo's auto.

Lightproof
10/14/2003, 08:11 AM
How about the Volkswagen Thing? In production for two years ('73, '74). I'm not sure how many were made, but I'm sure they were affordable by most...

Also:

1980 AMC Pacer sedan - production run of only 405

Lightproof
10/14/2003, 09:45 AM
http://www.delorean.org/images/photos/vin1007(2).jpg

There were a total of about 9,200 DeLoreans manufactured spanning three model years and two calendar years:

81 6640 cars total marketed

82 Approx 1280 cars total

83 Approx 1250 cars total

VXMAN
10/14/2003, 09:53 AM
How about Subaru's sport car attempt?
Quote "The SVX was Subaru's attempt to enter the once-popular luxury/performance car category. The prototype was designed by renowned designer Giorgetto Giugiaro of ItalDesign. Subaru produced around 25,000 SVXs from 1992 through 1997 (about 14,000 of these were imported to the United States)."

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/homesvx1.jpg

Dave...

Triathlete
10/14/2003, 10:11 AM
This is a "cool" limited production vehicle???:wtfo: ;eekg; :deadp: :flame2: :noy:

Bantan
10/14/2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Lightproof

Used in the movie "Wayne's World"
I like this Limo version:
http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/mirth1.jpg

Navigator
10/14/2003, 10:39 AM
I am talking about cars that make people think you spent 3 to 4 times their actual value, you know, a car that turns heads like a Ferrari and retails like a VW :D Not a design flop that didn't sell, but a real gem that sold cheap like the VX.

Not sure what the Delorian retailed for, but as I recall, they were not cheap.

Triathlete
10/14/2003, 11:03 AM
**Used in the movie "Wayne's World"
I like this Limo version:
http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/mirth1.jpg **

Wow;eeky; you could put a lot of fish in that aqaurium!:bomb:

vxfan
10/14/2003, 11:43 AM
subaru svx -- produced from 92-97... higher production number than the 10,000 as requested by the forum, but i thought i should mention it anyways =)

Tonka
10/14/2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Navigator
I am talking about cars that make people think you spent 3 to 4 times their actual value, you know, a car that turns heads like a Ferrari and retails like a VW :D Not a design flop that didn't sell, but a real gem that sold cheap like the VX.

It all depends on the person. A lot of people think the VX was too expensive when i tell them it was 30,000! Others do think it cost more. Some people (GASP!) don't even think it's close to being cool. The VX also didn't sell like hot cakes either. A local dealer complained he couldn't give his away. I wanted a Delorian. :(

Lightproof
10/14/2003, 12:30 PM
Base price for the 1983 DeLorean was $32,832.90 + $625.00
for automatic transmission + $600.00 for USA processing.

That's about as close to the VX as you can get (which, btw, isn't cheap). Hey, I know - a VX with a brushed stainless steel finish... sweet! :D

BTW - how does everyone format the nice quotes that say 'Originally posted by..."? By hand? I'm obviously missing an important posting tool...

Thanks

Dallas4u
10/14/2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Lightproof
Base price for the 1983 DeLorean was $32,832.90 + $625.00
for automatic transmission + $600.00 for USA processing.

That's about as close to the VX as you can get (which, btw, isn't cheap).

Yeah, $32,832 back in '83... what is that comparably to a '99 $31k VX? I mean, the national annual household income has changed DRAMATICALLY in 20 years. A DeLorean back in the day was considered pretty expensive.

By the way, check THIS (http://www.bigtexas.com/dmc/) out.

Lightproof
10/14/2003, 12:51 PM
oh yea - forgot about that. darn it...

johnnyapollo
10/14/2003, 01:31 PM
Funny... I was talking about the Gold Delorean this past weekend at Uhwarrie. I knew they were rare, but didn't know that only 2-4 were actually made. It's gotta be one of the rarest production cars in the world.

-- John

IsuZOOM
10/14/2003, 02:26 PM
There's no motivation to make a one-off vehicle (which costs millions to produce) and then sell only a handful at an affordable cost :)

Bantan
10/14/2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by IsuZOOM
There's no motivation to make a one-off vehicle (which costs millions to produce) and then sell only a handful at an affordable cost :)

Good point!
No wonder Isuzu America seems to be a sinking ship.:bomb: :homer:

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/14/2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Navigator

I remember looking at new ones at a Ford dealership in New Castle, PA that ran about $18,000. They were all Stainless Steel (unpainted). I remember a few that were painted (by the dealership I presume) that ran a higher cost. Not sure what year...could've been the last year made after they went bankrupt.

Triathlete
10/14/2003, 03:06 PM
Jolly,
I have relatives in New Castle, as well as Slippery Rock, Butler, Pittsburg, and Sharron!:yesy: :yesr: :yesp: :yeso: :yesg: :yesb:

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/14/2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tonka
Some people (GASP!) don't even think it's close to being cool.

There is a "DAMON'S RESTAURANT" in Erie that specializes in Ribs that has car shows during the summer...usually 2 per month on Wednesdays from 6pm-9pm weather permitting. They advertise to bring your Classic car, 4X4, or Import. I brought the VX spit-shined inside and out....I got a wide variety of comments...one guy shouted as I was parking it "he can't be serious, I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing!" However, it seemed very popular with the younger crowd (i.e. teens, college students). Older people ignored it. The younger people gravitated towards my VX and a Honda S2000 as well as a new Nissan Z and a Mazda RX-8.
Older people walked right by these cars as though they weren't even in the show.

I seem to be caught in between the generation gap...lol...As I enjoyed ALL the cars and trucks!

Originally posted by Triathlete
Jolly,
I have relatives in New Castle, as well as Slippery Rock, Butler, Pittsburg, and Sharron!:yesy: :yesr: :yesp: :yeso: :yesg: :yesb:

kewel! I was born in New Castle and went to Penn State in Sharon as well as partying in Slippery Rock...lol..Also used to commute to Pittsburgh and that is where my brother and his wife reside. Moved to Erie area to take a job with GE. Used to get my lift kits done in Butler at Meridian Off Road.

Personally, when my VX is paid off I might be interested in the following projects/vehicles:

http://www.geocities.com/madmaxreplicas/
http://www.knightregistries.com/
http://www.knightregistries.com/registry/don/
http://ratliff7.tripod.com/counsel.htm

Heraclid
10/14/2003, 05:15 PM
Yep, John and Joe were discussing the gold-plated DeLoreans at Uwharrie. :-)

I can think of lots and lots of really rare cars, but affordable ones that were head-turners... not coming up with much there. Which is good I think - means the VX is extra special.

When my Dad had his orange and black '70 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with the 351 Cleveland engine, which was before my time, I am told it was possibly the only one in town. I would think there would have actually been a fair number, but people say they knew of two at the time in the area. It must have been fairly affordable, was real fast, and got lots of attention. The 351C Twister Special version was indeed extremely rare, with 48 produced, and there was another Twister Special for that year (429C?), also at 48. Don't know what those cost at the time.

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/14/2003, 06:20 PM
My Dad had a 1966 Mercury "Cyclone" GT with a 390 Big Block V8 with chromed engine package and hurst 4-speed with red leather bucket seats and dual "ram-air" hood scoops....all included as stock. I go to alot of car shows and really have only seen 1 at a drag strip that was no longer original. I don't know how many of these they made but when his got totalled they chose not to replace it. He said he never saw another one when he was driving it and the one he bought was the only one on the lot. Was like $3500 back in '66.

It resembled the '66 Ford Fairlane GT but was much sportier.

I was born in '66 and it made a distinct, memorable impression on me! LOL.

His was a hardtop...here is a link to a convertible version that looks alot like it...his was red with a white racing stripe on the rocker panel:
http://www.cars-on-line.com/66merc13590.html

here is another rare one, last one down at bottom of webpage,
1969 Ford Talladega(only 745 were made):
http://www.musclecarplanet.com/History/Ford_69.htm

Sheik-YurBooty
10/14/2003, 08:17 PM
In 69, my folks bought me a brand new Mach 1 ,w/ all the goodies attatched..air cond. , fold down rear seat ( to make it real sporty lookin), 4 speed, stereo, & the 390 cu. in. engine, plus all the other goodies that Ford had to offer. I cant say as to how many they made, but this car really rocked. The sticker price back then was $5,300, but back then , nobody paid sticker price. Final cost was $4,500..Worth evey cent....It wasnt quite the Corvette(which only cost about $1,000 more, but I believe that they were rarer then the vettes....By the way,by todays standards, could we conscider the Prowler as a limited production affordable? Oh well at least its not up there w/ the Ferrari F50, or the Lambo Diablo and the like. Compaired to those machines I would say that the Prowler is very affordable!...Im not sure of the numbers , but all I know is that I saw many more vettes on the road back then , rarely saw a Mach 1

Raque Thomas
10/14/2003, 08:43 PM
How about the Plymouth Prowler? I don't know how many were produced, I just know that I have seen -0- on the road (less than the VX) - and the price was in the VX range - $30K - $35K. This may be the only contender for a true limited production vehicle with a higher perceived value-------of course it's not much of an off road vehicle!

SGT.BATGUANO
10/14/2003, 10:14 PM
About 2x the production requirement. The 1987 Buick Grand National. About $16K sticker with dealer "add-on" sticker of about $5K . Still a great price for a factory 'Vette-killer!

This car pioneered the return of the hi-performance American musclecar, using computerized engine management.

Of course this comes from a biased source;)

BTW I believe Prowlers are "looks only" vehicles, unless something changed while I wasn't looking.

TDAWG
10/14/2003, 10:55 PM
I believe that their are a couple of 60's Camaros that were limited like the Yanko? If I remember correctly

tiggergreen
10/15/2003, 12:27 AM
Prowler is a "looks only" vehicle??? I rented one of these awesome vehicles when I was in Las Vegas and that thing was a blast to drive. It had a lot of power and had a choice of auto stick or automatic transmission. If I had the money, this vehicle would be on my top ten list...

1. Isuzu VX-O2
2. Nissan Murano
3. Prowler
4. Nissan 350Z Convertible
5. Audi TT Coupe
6. Toyota MR2 Spyder
7. Mazda RX8
8. Chrysler PT-Cruiser (body-colored bumpers)
9. Mazda Millennia S
10. Mazda 6

Brent

MZ-N10
10/15/2003, 01:27 AM
Nissan Skyline Nur 900 or so way more then $30k
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R 1400 or so around $40K
04 STi Impreza 300 a month until 04 $31k
Mustang Corbra R ------- $40k
91( i think) Galant GT-4 2000 or so $30k
Celica All-trac 2000 or so $20k

The numbers arent perfect but those were limited....just a few off the top of my head

BTW all of these were just special editions just incase you didnt know.
________
ZOLOFT PRILOSEC NEXIUM (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

Navigator
10/15/2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Tonka
It all depends on the person. A lot of people think the VX was too expensive when i tell them it was 30,000! Others do think it cost more. Some people (GASP!) don't even think it's close to being cool. The VX also didn't sell like hot cakes either. A local dealer complained he couldn't give his away. I wanted a Delorian. :(

I wanted a DeLorian too, but but at the time i was in high school and the only thing in my price range was a Vette...CheVette that is. Which at the time sold for about $4,000 loaded :naughty: brand new :D I'd guess the cost of living then was about 1/3 what it is today, so that DeLorian in 2003 dollars is closer to 100k.

The VX is similar to the DeLorian, people either loved it or hated it :D One difference is every year my 1999 gets newer in the minds of others, was just asked if it was a 2004 :D amazing.

If the VX was available in 1983 it would have to sell for around $10,000 which barely affordable for most, not exactly cheap, but in line with the dollar values of the period.

I just wanted to validate the statement that the VX is perhaps the only cool limited production original designed vehicle offered to the average Joe. I really want see if more vehicles can share that spot light, so please chime in if you know of any. Dayum we are lucky :D

Triathlete
10/15/2003, 07:22 AM
How 'bout an SUV for the list? Remember the GMC Cyclone? Twin turbo and very fast. The truck version (can't remember what they called it) did the 1/4 mile on a wet track in the same time as the vette zr1 did on a dry track;eeky; . The truck had even fewer color choices than the VX. It came in any color you wanted as long as you wanted Black!;Dy;

Cyrk
10/15/2003, 07:23 AM
GMC Typhoon

Dallas4u
10/15/2003, 07:48 AM
If I can remember, the Cyclone was labeled a Ferrari killer.

Bantan
10/15/2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Raque Thomas
How about the Plymouth Prowler? I don't know how many were produced, I just know that I have seen -0- on the road (less than the VX) - and the price was in the VX range - $30K - $35K. This may be the only contender for a true limited production vehicle with a higher perceived value-------of course it's not much of an off road vehicle!

I was quoted 45K for a prowler in 2001.
Not sure if thats affordable to the average income person.
It sure is a fine peice of ***** I mean metal.
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c436980a.jpg