PDA

View Full Version : How should the brakes feel on VX...HELP!!!!

drdavidr4u
10/13/2003, 05:29 PM
Hi all,
When I test drove the 2001 VX( 11,700 mi) I am buying(never having driven one before) I noticed two big things.

1. I assumed the acceleration off the line would pin to my seat!!! I found quickly its not the case...I now assume being a heavy truck its a torquey motor stock but NOT A STREET RACER!!!
CORRECT ASSUMPTION?

2. The brakes didnt feel crisp stop on a dime . I realize its a heavy truck , but should they be real crisp? Good stoppers? The peddle was not pulsating, not mushy...but just not the crisp stop I'd fell comfortable with. PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT STOCK BRAKES AND HOW THEY SHOULD FEEL !!! If they sound off a bit are we talking new pads? its a low miles truck!!
While its at the dealer and he is preping it I wish to get this all worked out!!
THANKSIN ADVANCE TO ALL WHO RESPOND,
Dave :)

Also is there anything else to check out in the engine etc?
I'm supposed to get a 3 mth bumper to bumper from this dealer...!!

MZ-N10
10/13/2003, 05:49 PM
Well Ive raced 2 stock civic si....right off the line the civics are alot faster then me but at about 2 gear for them we start to catch up...it could be the driver but it was neck to neck at around 80.

And as for the brakes...well...they do stop on a dime when i drive my car....

I think you should get it checked out since you have a 3 month warrenty...but it could be that ur used to being sports cars and the vx cant haul *** like a vette. better to be safe then sorry...
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Moncha
10/13/2003, 06:08 PM
You are correct, the VX is NOT a street racer by stereotypical standards.. 1st thing you must remember, the little beast weighs in at just under 4000lbs.. 2 tons is pretty heavy. It is quick for the type of vehicle it is and even won the second fastest SUV category back in it's introducing to the US. Read this forum and others and there are itmes that will help like Superchargers (http://www.tonemonday.com). But with out some major cash in your pockets what you see is what you get..

Even though the previous owner put over 11k on the truck it all depends on how he/she drove.. Guesses are that the brakes are glazed and you will never be perfectly happy with their performance.. Either have the dealer or do it yourself, but have the brakes re-done. New pads and a rotor resurface.. I'd even go as far as a brake fluid change also. Unless you have other problems that should get you back to stock braking performance and then YOU'LL be able to break them in the way YOU want.