PDA

View Full Version : front axle conversion

givegodachance
06/05/2012, 02:55 PM
How hard is it to convert the IFS for a toyota solid axle????

pbkid
06/05/2012, 04:43 PM
How hard is it to convert the IFS for a toyota solid axle????

Depends on your budget?
theres a lot of other factors too, like, you will lose TOD, probably need a different transfer case, possibly different steering.
Also, are you trying to go 4 link or leaf?
To give you an idea, it starts at 5k on my 4runner with a pre-made kit, leafs, and keeping the current steering and transfer case, doing all the labor myself. 7k with labor.
In order to step it up to a 4 link it runs 10-15k depending on what size axle and tires etc... Without labor. Probably closer to 15k with labor for everything for a proper 4 link. And thats on a common vehicle to do it on.

Now yes, sure there are ways to make it cheaper, but to do it 'right' thats what it takes. Im sure billy and some others will tell me im wrong but ive talked to about 5 shops about this on my vehicle.
You could probably scrap all the parts out of junkyards and e bay used for around 2k for leaf and no labor. But then youve really got a frankenstein half ***** vehicle. Your reliability is going to be little to none for a daily driver.

RamAirZ
06/05/2012, 05:13 PM
Well that price can be less if you can do all the fab work and search the parts yourself. If you can't, ya it gets $$$$ real quick, and even when you do it yourself, it's not cheap to do it right. As for the junkyard thing, if you source the "right" parts from donor vehicles you can do it safely, reliably and right but it takes alot of time, research, measurements and skills to set it up correctly.

pbkid
06/05/2012, 07:29 PM
ya, ram air is absolutely right. Its just very rare that someone actually goes and picks all the stuff one item at a time, unless they are extremely versed in fab work and building rigs. Most the 'average joe's' wouldnt have the know how of what to look for, thats why i assumed givegodachance was not going to go that route.

RamAirZ
06/05/2012, 07:43 PM
yup. Alot of people can throw something together, but when you end up DD'ing it you'll hate it.

Ldub
06/05/2012, 08:31 PM
yup. Alot of people can throw something together

I think I saw that somewhere...:_thinking

RamAirZ
06/05/2012, 08:39 PM
Where would that be...