PDA

View Full Version : Muffler bearings?

89Vette
05/30/2012, 03:57 PM
Actually, muffer valves is the topic here...

Talking to Jerry Lemond about the less-than-linear sound my exhaust makes. Light throttle and heavy throttle are perfect. Some partial throttle openings can be less than robust...maybe a bit turbulent, un-tuned, or whatever. I liken the sound to a loud radiator fan (for lack of better description).

Oddly, it seemed more frequent/prevalent when cold AND even with more incidence. IOW, if I stay away from that range, it didn't seem as prevalent when going thru it. I had a muffler shop take a look and contemplated a Dynomax ST or Walker Quiet III. If, for no other reason, to get a more sophisticated sound through-out the rpm ranges.

Enter my conversation with Jerry. First thing he tells me is his Trooper has a muffler with internal valve. It's used to promote faster warm-up of exhaust (probably CATs I bet). Sounds very similar to these Dynomax VT mufflers (with the valved opening).

My question is whether anyone can confirm/deny the presence of a valve inside our factory mufflers? Jerry's not sure.

Or, if other ideas come to mind on my quirky exhaust sound, let me know. (I'd almost call the cold, warm-up sound akin to cars with a loose manifold heat shield. But, it really doesn't buzz/rattle. It's just turbulent and tinny.

blacksambo
05/30/2012, 04:28 PM
Look at the condition of your exhaust system flexible coupling. That can add a note or two, if not in perfect shape.

Ldub
05/30/2012, 04:59 PM
Analyzing, to the Nth degree, is key to all possible problems automotive...:yesgray:

:_wrench:...:thumbup:

89Vette
05/31/2012, 08:51 PM
Didn't someone cut one open at least once?