PDA

View Full Version : front left boot bad, losing grease, "might as well replace axle while at it

dmanske@cavtel.net
05/29/2012, 08:31 AM
Heard a scraping noise at the same frequency that the wheels were turning. Thought it was on the right side. Local shop found damaged boot on left side allowing loss of grease. They recommended replacing left front CV axle since labor about the same to replace boot as to replace boot and axle. The estimate for parts and labor is $300. How does this sound to you more knowledgeable and experienced out there than I ? Thank you ! Den

tom4bren
05/29/2012, 08:55 AM
If you can actually get them to do it for $300 then go for it. I don't think they'll actually be able to (even with the shortcut method found in the how2 section).

twostep1n2
05/29/2012, 08:57 AM
Is that for both sides or just one. I would do both sides because the other side tearing can't be far behind. The axles are $60 per side. I did mine in my driveway in 2 hours so a shop should be able to do it in 2 hours. both axles $120. 2 hours labor @ $80 =$280 Pulse parts mark up $20 ya $300 for both side would be a good deal.

Scott Larson
05/29/2012, 09:55 AM
If it's a reputable shop and you trust 'em and have the cash, go for it. Quality mechanical work is not cheap!!:noo:

taylorRichie
05/29/2012, 12:52 PM
Meh, I think all of us replace boots from time to time. With even modest torsion crank boots wear. Some people get lucky and make it years, some (me) make it months.

I've done it 3 times up front. Need to do it again on one side. May be about the same work to replace the axle, but if it's in good shape, why bother :) Just clean it up real good, regrease and install.

I think last time I did a boot replacement it only took a couple hours start to finish. The first time I did it took more like 5 hours.

Scott Larson
05/29/2012, 01:24 PM
Not everyone has mechanical aptitude, some also lack tools, for those there is no shame in hiring it done...As for me, I can fix just about anything but computers, and ya won't find me trying to anytime soon!!:slap:

Baldwin
05/29/2012, 02:04 PM
Isuzu is asking $1800 out the door for all 4 boots changed up front. They said they were torn, has dirt in them and even melted onto the throttle cable. Haven't seen it yet to confirm. Is actually in there for high and fluctuating idle and the previous owner put tranny fluid in the brake cylinder so all the gaskets and seals swelled up and is hard to stop. Local shop down the street quoted $160/boot.

Scott Harness
05/29/2012, 02:18 PM
Not everyone has mechanical aptitude, some also lack tools, for those there is no shame in hiring it done...As for me, I can fix just about anything but computers, and ya won't find me trying to anytime soon!!:slap:
X2...I'm a massage therapist and can't trash my hands.
It's probably less expensive for me in the long run(would need to buy tools,ect
if I had a lift, a cooled\heated garage,tools I would be interested in doing it myself but...It's cheaper having it done right the first time if you aren't used to wrenching.(example) When I put on the 912 springs Hmmm I'll leave the rear door open so I can hear the stereo,jacking it up up up POW My rear door hits the the garage door and smashes out the rear window DOH!! $400 extra:_iamwiths

Triathlete
05/29/2012, 04:37 PM
Boots vs. shaft replacement...
If your cv's are in good shape I would do the boots UNLESS the shop is replacing the shafts with OEM shafts.
Aftermarket shafts are no where near as good as the OEM shafts. On that note the best aftermarket shafts I have found are the Empi's. They are good but still not the quality of the OEM's. At the cost quoted you I am almost certain you will not be getting OEM. Just my 2 cents.

circmand
05/30/2012, 08:13 AM
Boots vs. shaft replacement...
If your cv's are in good shape I would do the boots UNLESS the shop is replacing the shafts with OEM shafts.
Aftermarket shafts are no where near as good as the OEM shafts. On that note the best aftermarket shafts I have found are the Empi's. They are good but still not the quality of the OEM's. At the cost quoted you I am almost certain you will not be getting OEM. Just my 2 cents.

I replaced one of mine with Empi's. They are known for quality products. However since they do not list a shaft for the VX though they do make one. However both Amazon and auto zone list the wrong half shaft for the VX. You want the Empi 80-3619.

JMNY
06/01/2012, 06:18 PM
What? My goodness.

crager34
06/03/2012, 08:49 PM
Has anyone ever seen a replacement boot that was split, in order to replace the boot without taking everything apart? If so, is it something worth getting?

I think I have seen it before and did modest internet search, but didn't come up with anything.

Triathlete
06/03/2012, 09:06 PM
The split boots are more of a temporary fix. As a matter of fact most are called "emergency repair boots".

89Vette
06/04/2012, 08:09 PM
Isuzu want's $800/side to do these things. But they also want to drop the front diff to do them.

Since shops charge close to $100/hr these days, I think $300/side is a very fair price. You aren't just paying for the 2-3 hours of work, but for the expertise/tools owned by the mechanic. If he (or she) is a good one, the can spot other issues (like bearings) and save a repeated job.

Hoping to get both sides done for $300 is crazy. I'm not sure I'd even trust someone offering to do it for that price. Unless you were sure of their reputation. In fact, I'd question the skill/experience of any new shop just to be sure. Feedback from other clients is always good to have.

Good luck!

Ldub
06/04/2012, 08:23 PM
Isuzu is asking $1800 out the door for all 4 boots changed up front. They said they were torn, has dirt in them and even melted onto the throttle cable. Haven't seen it yet to confirm.

Either someone got their wires crossed, or they have NO business turning anything even remotely resembling a :_wrench:

Why you ask?...:_thinking

Because the throttle cable should be nowhere NEAR the CV boots...:fyi:

Just my opinion...:rolleyesg

circmand
06/05/2012, 05:43 AM
Isuzu want's $800/side to do these things. But they also want to drop the front diff to do them.

Since shops charge close to $100/hr these days, I think $300/side is a very fair price. You aren't just paying for the 2-3 hours of work, but for the expertise/tools owned by the mechanic. If he (or she) is a good one, the can spot other issues (like bearings) and save a repeated job.

Hoping to get both sides done for $300 is crazy. I'm not sure I'd even trust someone offering to do it for that price. Unless you were sure of their reputation. In fact, I'd question the skill/experience of any new shop just to be sure. Feedback from other clients is always good to have.

Good luck!

Are they talking replacing half shafts thereby not required to remove the diff or the full shaft? Frankly I have not heard any problems requiring the full monty on the shaft. Especially from a torn boot.

Triathlete
06/05/2012, 09:29 AM
When Isuzu doe's it at that price they replac e the entire shaft therefore must drop the diff.

dmanske@cavtel.net
06/19/2012, 10:24 AM
Had my front left boot and axle replaced to cure the noise as diagnosed by mechanics of a national chain ($300 parts and labor). As I drove away, I heard the same noise as before even with the first turn of my wheels ! I u-turned back in and gave the mechanic a ride to hear the noise. He confirmed it and the manager is researching the issue.
How do these boots fail in the first place ?
Are the boots moved or adjusted during a lube-job ?
Thank you for the past help with this issue and my blown fuse !

circmand
06/19/2012, 11:11 AM
Had my front left boot and axle replaced to cure the noise as diagnosed by mechanics of a national chain ($300 parts and labor). As I drove away, I heard the same noise as before even with the first turn of my wheels ! I u-turned back in and gave the mechanic a ride to hear the noise. He confirmed it and the manager is researching the issue.
How do these boots fail in the first place ?
Are the boots moved or adjusted during a lube-job ?
Thank you for the past help with this issue and my blown fuse !

Made of flexible material constant exposure to elements constant flexing while driving they just wear out. The boots are not touched on a lube, whichis really passe. The oil change joints dont even do that any more and we have a closed system with only the drive axle needine lubed. Which you should do regularly