PDA

View Full Version : Moab Dates.......2013....??????

JoFotoz
05/23/2012, 02:05 PM
Are we sticking with the later May dates...

...which for 2013 would mean May 13th -17th ish.

OR???

Are we going back to a week earlier as before...
....which for 2013 would mean May 6th -10th ish.

PLEASE...only vote if you intend to be there!!

Please complete poll so those who want to book NOW for next year...
.... can get on it :thumbup:

Thanks

Jo

Dumke
05/23/2012, 02:35 PM
Why changed a good thing :)

JoFotoz
05/23/2012, 02:42 PM
There were a few Stoop mummmmmbbblings...

Why changed a good thing :)

...about all the "Razors'..and the heat.

The poll is up for a month...

..then we'll get a good idea of what dates suit the majority.

jo

VX crazy
05/23/2012, 02:53 PM
with that heat, hell I would do 2 wks earlier!

VX crazy
05/23/2012, 02:54 PM
but its only fun with the entire clan, that wins over weather!

Dumke
05/23/2012, 02:56 PM
but its only fun with the entire clan, that wins over weather!

Agreed.. And yeah side by sides are LAMEEEE.... So I will go with the majority.

vt_maverick
05/23/2012, 04:29 PM
I probably won't be there so I won't vote, but keep in mind that the earlier dates will make it hard for our younger college members to make it - the second week of May is usually when colleges hold finals and/or graduation.

But I do agree that it was hot, especially on Tuesday and Thursday. As our babies age we probably should stay out of the heat.

Triathlete
05/23/2012, 04:35 PM
Traditionally it has always been the 2nd week if May. 1 week earlier is not going to miraculously change the weather. Some years its hot, some it snows! If you move it a few weeks earlier you got EJS going on....50+ rigs on a trail is not fun.

Scott Harness
05/23/2012, 04:42 PM
Now Tom...you haven't been since you made us change the date:bgwo:

PK
05/23/2012, 05:08 PM
Either date will work for me.
I just need to know which it is.

PK

JoFotoz
05/23/2012, 05:42 PM
Well sort of Billy...

Traditionally it has always been the 2nd week if May. 1 week earlier is not going to miraculously change the weather. Some years its hot, some it snows! If you move it a few weeks earlier you got EJS going on....50+ rigs on a trail is not fun.

...it was moved back a week recently , after issues about it running over Mothers day.

And yes...a week for the weather is not really worth taking into consideration...

.....but EJS ceratinly IS...hence easter is OUT!

This year we seemed to have every single Razor in the country (except Sue's!!) running around.

Police convoys taking them to trails etc...:_brickwal

....100 of then (littttterrrally!) split 50/50 on Hells revenge and Porcupine Rim!!

Never mind the Cluster Phuq they got into failing horribly to climb out of Kane Creek!

PITA...big time!

Jo

BigSwede
05/23/2012, 06:23 PM
This year was warm, but last year was cold. There is no way to predict the weather based on one week or the other; I have seen everything from highs in the 60s to the 90s over the years.

Besides, most of you had air-conditioned rooms and vehicles anyway...

Triathlete
05/23/2012, 07:09 PM
Jo, date didn't change. Mothers day just missed the usual weekend.

JoFotoz
05/23/2012, 07:37 PM
Actually Billy...

Jo, date didn't change. Mothers day just missed the usual weekend.

...look back and I think you'll find that it was moved back a week.

A 'movement' to do so was spearheaded by ( IIRC) TomDieTrying.

But anywhooo...just pick a date from the poll...
...and we'll all figure it out :thumbup:
jo

VX crazy
05/23/2012, 07:48 PM
Agreed about the weather, I prefer when there are less crowds on trails.......plan on bringing mine again next year and don't like medicating on trails!

BigSwede
05/23/2012, 08:41 PM
Actually Billy...

...look back and I think you'll find that it was moved back a week.

A 'movement' to do so was spearheaded by ( IIRC) TomDieTrying.

But anywhooo...just pick a date from the poll...
...and we'll all figure it out :thumbup:
jo

Tom made an attempt to move away from Mothers Day, but ZuZoo has always been the 3rd weekend in May, and the week preceding. A quirk in the calender obliged Tom, and then he didn't show up anyway...

JoFotoz
05/23/2012, 09:02 PM
Fair enough...

Tom made an attempt to move away from Mothers Day, but ZuZoo has always been the 3rd weekend in May, and the week preceding. A quirk in the calender obliged Tom, and then he didn't show up anyway...

...but not convinced!

Moab has started May 9 to May 11 th for the last several years...

Big calendar quirk!

Anywhoo...

Whatever the majority want is good with me :_beer:

Jo

BigSwede
05/23/2012, 09:42 PM
Moab has started May 9 to May 11 th for the last several years...

It did start that early in 2010, but not last year. It has always finished on the 3rd Saturday in May. 2010 was as early as it could be, and 2011 was as late as it could be. (And yet 2011 was much colder than 2010.)

Not that it can't be changed, just saying the way it has been.

VX KAT
05/23/2012, 10:13 PM
with that heat, hell I would do 2 wks earlier! Man you ain't kiddin' there!

Of course we don't want to be anywhere near EJS, but "statistically", it's a little cooler the week earlier. And this year, it was quite a bit cooler the week before we arrived. Totally chance, I realize that...but if we move a week or two earlier, "statistically" we may hit a bit cooler temps. Many VXs were having elevated temps this year in the heat....is that common?

The "snow" ?.....wasn't that some tiny flurries up at the top of Top Of The World two years ago, that lasted like 5 minutes?....:p

but its only fun with the entire clan, that wins over weather! x2!

This year was warm, but last year was cold. There is no way to predict the weather based on one week or the other; I have seen everything from highs in the 60s to the 90s over the years.

Besides, most of you had air-conditioned rooms and vehicles anyway...

You're right, can't predict it, but "statistically".....:laugho:

..and...A/C vehicles.....um.....well...maybe 5 minutes here and there....it was dang hot!

MeowMix
05/23/2012, 11:02 PM
If Moab ends up moving to the 6th-10th, you can count Meow out. That's right around finals time...

Etfren
05/24/2012, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I might be going back to school this year so I voted for the later date to avoid complications with that.

JoFotoz
05/24/2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks Steve...

....I get it now :o

I was focused on the start dates..and didnt get the end date deal :_brickwal

:_beer:

Jo

Triathlete
05/24/2012, 01:57 PM
Its okay Jo...we realize you're still in a post-Moab haze! :)

BigSwede
05/24/2012, 02:00 PM
Speaking of which, how is the ORW?

JoFotoz
05/24/2012, 04:55 PM
The ORW is not talking to me...

Speaking of which, how is the ORW?

...somebody told her I drove a jeep for two days.

She's pissed!

Gonna have to buy her new shoes, probably a new outfit and no doubt ....

....some elective surgery to her rear end :eek:.... just to placate her !

Right now she's pushing me around town in 2wd...the rear 4:77 third is a mess...

...blown bearing, chipped gears...general destruction :mad:

Will start looking for 'the cure' next week....

Jo

VX KAT
05/24/2012, 05:04 PM
The ORW is not talking to me...

...somebody told her I drove a jeep for two days.

She's pissed!

Will start looking for 'the cure' next week....

Jo

well didn't you explain to her that if she was a more reliable beotch you wouldn't have even thought of cheatin' on her? :p

tomdietrying
05/24/2012, 06:10 PM

LOL.....Swede is right.........but it was the right move for ALL mothers (and wives) out there regardless of what you think of your mom(or wife).

Man, you make it to Moabs 6 times in a row. You miss a couple and you get this. LOL

Peace.
Tom

taylorRichie
05/24/2012, 07:00 PM
Moab is just a crazy place. I tend to go every April and every October, trying to avoid everything in between. (though the past 3 years I have made a may trip as well). April and October are Ideal if you're out camping, but you definitely get rain.

I went November 2010, for my 30th, and I was shocked at how great the weather was. I'm really surpised more Off Road groups don't plan around fall, instead of spring.

I'd vote, but I'm a non-commital type, whose only time making it to the isuzoo was the weekend after I bought my VX :D (and I'm only 3 hours away). I Loved meeting everyone, and had the best of intentions the next years, but a baby, a 1 year old, and this year a 2 year old got in the way. (I'm not in control of my life) :D

Scott Harness
05/25/2012, 05:28 AM
I went November 2010, for my 30th, and I was shocked at how great the weather was. I'm really surpised more Off Road groups don't plan around fall, instead of spring.

I've always wanted to go in the fall!

VX crazy
05/25/2012, 07:04 PM
I've always wanted to go in the fall!

Me too!!

VXIRONwoMAN
05/25/2012, 08:34 PM
The week prior to Moab this year was still in the mid 90's so the week doesn't matter weather-wise. You can't predict mother nature. But for me... I will be graduating in May and have finals, so if it gets pushed back a week I can't go. Same reason I missed 2010.

VX KAT
05/25/2012, 09:12 PM
The week prior to Moab this year was still in the mid 90's so the week doesn't matter weather-wise. You can't predict mother nature.

:_thinking
I was following it on weather.com. these were the actuals they showed, but they must have been way off or something.
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USUT0165

.....SUN....MON.....TU....WED...TH....F......SAT
Hi.. 72°F.....74.....77.....81.....86.....80.....81
Lo.. 43°F.....42.....47.....44.....45.....54.....40
Statistically, the average for that week ranges from 74 -77.

VXIRONwoMAN
05/26/2012, 08:08 PM
:_thinking
I was following it on weather.com. these were the actuals they showed, but they must have been way off or something.
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USUT0165

.....SUN....MON.....TU....WED...TH....F......SAT
Hi.. 72?F.....74.....77.....81.....86.....80.....81
Lo.. 43?F.....42.....47.....44.....45.....54.....40
Statistically, the average for that week ranges from 74 -77.

:_confused

It's weird because I tracked Moab's weather like 2 weeks prior to leaving and it was saying in the high 80's to low 90's, but all the weather sites say the hottest days were the 15th and 17th both which hit 90. Accuweather gives a little different weather, but still doesn't show what we actually experienced.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/moab-ut/84532/may-weather/336126

I wish I could suck at my job as much as weathermen(women) do and still keep my job...

P.S. If you're camping warmer weather is welcome... I LOVED the weather while we were out on White Rim...60's at night was PERFECT!

Gizmo42
05/26/2012, 09:43 PM
As Steve said, it has always ended the 3rd FULL weekend in May. If the 1st is on a sunday then that weekend doesnt count and it gets pushed back a week.

That said, if the dates change I cant go. I've already had to schedule all of next years vacations (through June) and the weeks before and after are taken so I cant move. Everyone at work knows when I normally go to Moab and plan their dates around mine.

Fcuk the razors, they can move their dates we were there first. Just start being jerks to them the way they are to us.

As far as weather, sometimes its hot as hell, other times its freezing. Sometimes in the same week. Moving a week either way will make no difference.

Triathlete
05/26/2012, 09:59 PM
On the trail weather can be considerably different than in town weather.

VX KAT
05/26/2012, 10:01 PM
It's weird because I tracked Moab's weather like 2 weeks prior to leaving and it was saying in the high 80's to low 90's, but all the weather sites say the hottest days were the 15th and 17th both which hit 90. Accuweather gives a little different weather, but still doesn't show what we actually experienced.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/moab-ut/84532/may-weather/336126

Oh that chart/list I typed was for the week PRIOR to our arrival, so it was 5/6 - 5/12. I was so hoping it would stay in those lower temps for our week, but oh well....mother nature!

I've tried accuweather, weather underground and some others, they're all a little different, even when they report the "actual" temps....:_thinking must be due to their temp stations being at different locations or something.

yup Billy, isn't that the truth...in Dallas, (and other major cities too) the "concrete jungle effect" retained more heat so it was cooler in the outlying areas with less concrete and buildings....but really not much to make much difference...it was daM# hot and frikkin' hot! Probably hotter on the Moab trails due to rock surfaces and no shade would be my guess.

Ldub
05/27/2012, 08:35 AM
It gives me one more week of wrench prep time after the snow leaves around here.

Kinda important for me, as all my :_wrench:ing is done in the parking lot...:yesgray:

Triathlete
05/27/2012, 11:30 AM
Dub...you just need to not procrastinate. Wrench now, hybernate all winter, Moab ready in spring!

Ldub
05/27/2012, 12:18 PM
Dub...you just need to not procrastinate. Wrench now, hybernate all winter, Moab ready in spring!

Yeh...that'll happen...right after you get the SAS done...:rolleyesg...:laughing:

You saying anything about procrastination is blatant hypocrisy...:rotate:..:rotate:..:rotate:

I also usually attend the fall Gilbert MN run...leaving very little time after to :_wrench: any carnage back into shape before winter sets in...:_snowplow

Triathlete
05/27/2012, 03:55 PM
Not procrastinating...just waiting for the winning lotto numbers to roll in!

Ldub
05/27/2012, 05:25 PM
Not procrastinating...just waiting for the winning lotto numbers to roll in!

Sorry Bud, but in the amount of time you've been talking about it, you coulda paid off a loan...:laughing:

On a used VX, not just the fab...:smilewink

Triathlete
05/27/2012, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately I have other expensive hobbies

VXorado
05/28/2012, 07:45 AM
...about all the "Razors'..

Yep, those golf carts were annoying. :mado:

JoFotoz
06/04/2012, 01:15 PM
So...are we set on May 13th -17th ish ?

Poll seems to indicate those are the popular dates.

I'd like to be able to tell the guys at the Red Rock (Stoop!)...
...and confirm the discount etc for next year.

It may be the last year that the "stoop" as we know it is available...:thumbdn:

Jo

Scott Harness
06/04/2012, 02:58 PM
It may be the last year that the "stoop" as we know it is available...:thumbdn:

Jo
NOT to contradict you,you stay in touch with them I know,BUT There have been rumors for years.The Stoop and the empty lot across the street were supposed to be a fancy hotel 2-3 years ago.Bad Economy stopped it.............
Good for us:bgwb: Who knows? Let's keep hoping:yeso:

JoFotoz
06/04/2012, 03:14 PM
Yup Scott...they have been talking about it for years.

Seems they may finally be getting somewhere....

Apparently, planning and zoning has been ratified for a new "resort"...

..to encompass the trailer park at the back , AND all the land to the right
(as you exit the lot)..up to the corner of the first road.

Pretty sizeable...

Who knows though....plans are one thing...action another!

I was told next year would be Ok for sure, but after that ..no promises.

Jo

pbkid
06/04/2012, 05:29 PM
We will just have to find ourselves a new place that will 'deal with us' ;)

Im sure there is another small motel in moab that would appreciate the business. Or maybe its time you buy up that hospital jo :p

JoFotoz
06/04/2012, 05:48 PM
There is another place half way through town on the left....
....that has a similar layout, plus I believe small kitchens & laundry.

We will just have to find ourselves a new place that will 'deal with us' ;)

Im sure there is another small motel in moab that would appreciate the business. Or maybe its time you buy up that hospital jo :p

As for the Old Hospital....

:_mecker:...I'm now told that it sold a month or so ago...
(local influence keeping things local methinks..given I've be enquiring about it for a year)

However...I finally found a realtor contact that actually seems to know whats going on..
( she sold the Hospital!)..and it may be "available"...(think.. flip :mad:)

...so we shall see.

Probably pipe dreams..but I am gonna look seriously at it .

Jo

Gizmo42
06/04/2012, 07:06 PM
There is always the Apache motel. Think anyone can get a VX onto the 2nd floor balcony?

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/images/arches/apache_main.jpg

pbkid
06/05/2012, 06:29 AM
There is always the Apache motel. Think anyone can get a VX onto the 2nd floor balcony?
not sure if thats possible dave... But im pretty sure if anyone could do it, I know the guys who are down for the challenge. :)

Jo- that would be seriously awesome to have a legitimate VX motel haha! Do eeeet!

VX KAT
06/05/2012, 09:30 AM

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/images/arches/apache_main.jpg

Maybe not a VX, but I think Lisa could drive her new mini-Mini right up the stairs and onto the balcony! :laugho: