PDA

View Full Version : why so many engine problems???

givegodachance
05/14/2012, 02:47 PM
It seems to me from looking into the vx there is alot of engine failures. Does anyone know why? The one i bought has a bad engine, but i wanted one with a bad engine because i have a 3.2 to put in it. Is the 3.5 junk? or is it just random engines that go out along with all the other cars?

SilverBullet75
05/14/2012, 03:22 PM
If I recall correctly, the engines that most commonly fail are the 1999's.

My 2001 has no issues at 95k.
My former '99 had 103k when I sold it and it had no issues either... so it's really a case-by-case scenario. A lot to do with maintenance.

Gussie2000
05/14/2012, 03:24 PM
The answer is yes,the 3.5L in fact does have a high rate of engine failures.

Not only with the VX but with all vehicule made by isuzu that has this engine such as troopers,rodeos,etc.

givegodachance
05/14/2012, 04:15 PM
So why don't everyone change out the 3.5 with the 3.2? It seems to have better luck

Chopper
05/14/2012, 05:12 PM
I don't know that I agree at all
The 3.5 has been a reliable engine for some time now. I'm pretty sure failure rates are within an acceptable percentage....We're talking about an eleven to thirteen year old powerplant don't forget.
Any forum like this has the "Looky-Lou" shoppers that don't know any question other than engine reliability, and then there is the folks yelling about the engine they just shredded (for whatever reason)
No one comes on and talks about the car that just starts and runs every day...for a decade. That's not nearly so much fun as being a Chicken Little, spreading a message of engine doom to all that will listen.
Just human nature, but all you'll hear is the negative.
Far far more VXs soldier on with their god given V6 intact and smooth as it ever was, than have suffered any catastrophic engine failures.Mine won't burn or leak a bit, and has been dead nutz reliable since late 2001. I wouldn't hesitate to set out for Alaska in it tomorrow.
More than a few are well past 100k , a couple are past 200k
What more could you want?

givegodachance
05/14/2012, 05:34 PM
I don't know that I agree at all
The 3.5 has been a reliable engine for some time now. I'm pretty sure failure rates are within an acceptable percentage....We're talking about an eleven to thirteen year old powerplant don't forget.
Any forum like this has the "Looky-Lou" shoppers that don't know any question other than engine reliability, and then there is the folks yelling about the engine they just shredded (for whatever reason)
No one comes on and talks about the car that just starts and runs every day...for a decade. That's not nearly so much fun as being a Chicken Little, spreading a message of engine doom to all that will listen.
Just human nature, but all you'll hear is the negative.
Far far more VXs soldier on with their god given V6 intact and smooth as it ever was, than have suffered any catastrophic engine failures.Mine won't burn or leak a bit, and has been dead nutz reliable since late 2001. I wouldn't hesitate to set out for Alaska in it tomorrow.
More than a few are well past 100k , a couple are past 200k
What more could you want?

very good point. i ask cause the one i bought has its second motor and it knocks with only 86000. the first went out at about 80.

Chopper
05/14/2012, 05:45 PM
you cannot account for a used engine. People like my mom in law and my wife, would never check oil or anything of the sort. Mom's Altima was actually hammering one time when she finally brought it to me.....no oil for who knows how long
Ideally you'd rebuild one for yourself, but a reman is an option with a warranty. These 3.5s are a pretty easy redo

pbkid
05/14/2012, 05:49 PM
Well, just my $.02, but it seems like 70-90k is the sweet spot.. If a vx makes it past that mark it seems to last forever.

I just kinda take mental note because mine went at 78k, so ive been curious if there is a common mark that it happens. Seems to be in that range.

Actually, my next VX will be at least 100k to try and avoid the issue.

Chopper
05/14/2012, 05:58 PM
there's always the V8 option :yesy:

Chopper
05/14/2012, 06:02 PM
now that we're gonna have more room, I'm really considering another to play with.
V8/5sp sounds about right

Triathlete
05/14/2012, 06:19 PM
Actually, my next VX will be at least 100k to try and avoid the issue.

I'll let you have mine for $100k and its well over that sweet spot! :D

atilla_the_fun
05/14/2012, 06:26 PM
There was information coming from Australia (Holden uses the same 3.5L V6) that there could have been bad catalytic converters, much like Nissan had, that would deteriorate and score the cylinder walls.

evillecutter
05/14/2012, 09:28 PM
i have had a ford, chevy, and a mazda v6 in the past, all with between 40 and 100k miles on them, and my 2000 vx with 110k miles on it runs better than any of them - whether that has to do more with previous owners neglecting and/or abusing them or the actual engineering i haven't a clue, but im curious to see how far the isuzu will take me if i take care of it - there are some really inspiring vx owners that run and belong to this site that make me confident that i can make it last me for quite a while

Gussie2000
05/14/2012, 09:38 PM
You see,the problem here is that we tend to share a opinion based on personal experience,we talking about this engine it self,of course some engines will make it thru with no problems,but is also certain that engine failures are been recorded just few years after the vehicross was on the market.

Engines that only had 20k were reported right here from old members,most of them original owners failing drastically or blowing up,even polls like this one were done all the way back from 2003 about the issue

circmand
05/15/2012, 05:57 AM
The main issue as I see it is Isuzu is a truck company that makes truck engines. Truck engines are not built with as tight specs as car engines (on purpose) in order to handle the harsher demands placed on them. This allows for more heat and cold temperature differentials. This also causes more oil consumption. Most of the engine issues have been caused by lack of oil due to owners disregard of checking the oil. Given the VX original cost most buyers were probably of the mind to drive and go with out proper attention to oil level thus causing the engine failures. It would have helped if Isuzu had provided a warning for more frequent oil check when they put 15,000 miles in the owners manual possibly causing owners to disregard oil checks even more.

SlowPro48
05/15/2012, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know why?

Yes, it's quite simple, really.

What we have here... is failure... to use Rotella.

BTW, do you have dreadlocks?