PDA

View Full Version : Moab 2012: The Journey Begins

vt_maverick
05/11/2012, 05:29 AM
Finally got away around 5 last night and stopped over in Lexington, KY for the night. Now that I've finally got my O2 sensor issue corrected I'm going to track my MPGs so we can assess how much of a difference the 5-speed makes on fuel economy. Right now I'm pretty much in the worst case scenario so it should only improve from here. My VX is wearing around 250 lbs. in underbody armor (Kilby + Rocky Road Supersliders + Rocky Road Diff Guard), oversize (265/60/18) tires on heavier rims, a 40 lb roof basket, full size spare, swing-away cargo box weighing probably 250-300 lb fully loaded, two adults, two kids, a dog, 10 lb air tank, and pretty much everything else that can be fit inside a two door SUV. I always use 89 octane.

Fill-Up 1: Blacksburg, VA to Hurricane WV - 197.5 miles - 10.916 gallons - 18.08 MPG - Driving due west through the mountains, lots of long uphill climbs, fairly cool weather (mid to upper 60s).

Here are some pics:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/IMG_0577_1_.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/IMG_0579_1_.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/IMG_0580_1_.JPG

tom4bren
05/11/2012, 06:27 AM
Best o luck on your trip.

Looks like you got the kinks worked out on the hitch. When you get back, you'll have to fill me in on what you had to do.

evillecutter
05/11/2012, 06:32 AM
looks awesome - i hope you dont have a great dane

pbkid
05/11/2012, 06:41 AM
Lookin good. Cant wait to see ya!!!

Mile High VX
05/11/2012, 09:16 AM
Keep the shiny side up Ash...

When are you going to be in CO?

vt_maverick
05/11/2012, 05:41 PM
Tom - Lots and lots and lots of grinding. Blew through 3 Dremel grinding wheels before it fit. And LOTS of axle grease to make sure it doesn't get stuck. :D. Also used a dozen flat washers on the hitch platform to balance it out.

Earl - I'll be in Denver Saturday night if all goes well. Wanted to get there a day earlier than necessary to give the girls a break. 30 hours in a car seat is a LONG time.

MSHardeman
05/11/2012, 06:53 PM
Mav, when are you guys going through to Moab from Denver? Are you going to wait for the Monday convoy, or are you going on Sunday? If it's Sunday then you and I could convoy over. I'm heading over on Sunday, and we could meet up in Glenwood Springs (about three hours from Denver towards Moab).

vt_maverick
05/11/2012, 10:02 PM
Mark - Not totally decided just yet, it really depends on two factors: (1) how the girls are feeling after day 3 of the journey and (2) whether or not something bad happens or someone can help me in Moab on Sunday with this:

vt_maverick
05/11/2012, 10:15 PM
Okay so got about 20 miles shy of Columbia, MO and decided to pull over for gas. Noticed that the cargo box was leaning slightly to the right but figured it was just a loose bolt and decided to wait until after dinner to tighten it. Fortunately there was a fantastic steak place only 20 miles up the road (G&D Steakhouse in Columbia) so after dinner I took a closer look. Turns out the problem is bigger than I thought - one of the welds that attach the platform support "arms" to the swing away bar is failing, as per the pics below. I immediately moved not only the heaviest items from the box into the VX, but pretty much every single thing that would fit. (Amazing how little stuff was actually left in the box when I was done.) I put the box back on (it detaches from the platform) and the sag was less pronounced so I decided to drive on to Kansas City. Just checked it out again and the crack and subsequent sag don't seem to be worsening. Here's what it looks like as of about 30 minutes ago (note that the hole you see is supposed to be there - the crack is along the horizontal weld):

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/IMG_0583_1_.JPG

Reverse angle:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/IMG_0587_1_.JPG

Pic showing the difference in angle between the two arms:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/IMG_0586_1_.JPG

So my question to you guys is how scared should I be to drive the remaining 15 hours to Moab, and once I'm there, can anyone help me fix it? Don't suppose anybody has any welding supplies they want to bring along. Or if anyone knows a welder in Denver who works on Sundays that would be great too. :) My perception is that the crack doesn't look any worse after nearly two hours of driving, so given the dramatic weight reduction, maybe it will be okay until Moab.

Thoughts?

vt_maverick
05/11/2012, 10:19 PM
By the way, I've had it loaded this full several times before on both my VX and Sonya's Axiom without a problem. I suspect that when I installed the air lift kit I transferred the weak point to these arms. Before the kit I assume the springs and bump stops would absorb most of the down travel when you hit a bump, but now that the air bags are pretty much eliminating any down travel this weld is the new weak link. In the morning I'll probably drop the pressure in the air bags back to 20 PSI or so (it's at 30 PSI now) to see if that helps.

MSHardeman
05/11/2012, 10:57 PM
Hopefully some of the Denver crew will chime in. I know Jon (VXorado) used to know a welder, and may still have someone that he works with.

If you do wait until Monday to head to Moab I can get you in touch with the shop that did my front bumber. The build tube buggies and I know that they can weld anything up, but they are in Rifle, Colorado which is three and a half to four hours past Denver toward Moab.

If you do make it all the way to Moab, I know that there are MANY fab shops there that could weld that up lickity-split.

VXorado
05/12/2012, 08:03 AM
Bad timing for me on the welding. I'm in the process of moving to our new house and don't have any welding equipment set up... really too bad since you'll be in town today.

Like Mark said, I'm sure there will be a welding shop in Moab that can get you a nice solid bead for relatively cheap. All depends if can hold off until Moab.

yellowgizmo99
05/12/2012, 12:09 PM
Dang Ash, just missed you I was going thru Lexington about 6pm yesterday with the engine I picked up. Good luck on the rest of the trip.

vt_maverick
05/12/2012, 07:39 PM
Well we made it to Denver about an hour ago without incident. I managed to cram even more stuff in the VX this morning, which became imperative when I saw just how bad the crack was in full daylight. Some shop in Moab has its work cut out for them.

Really weird being back in Denver nearly 6 months to the day that I first test drove (and subsequently crashed) my current VX. Even staying in the same hotel tonight... It's truly come full circle for me.

Mile High VX
05/12/2012, 07:56 PM
Well we made it to Denver about an hour ago without incident. I managed to cram even more stuff in the VX this morning, which became imperative when I saw just how bad the crack was in full daylight. Some shop in Moab has its work cut out for them.

Really weird being back in Denver nearly 6 months to the day that I first test drove (and subsequently crashed) my current VX. Even staying in the same hotel tonight... It's truly come full circle for me.

Glad you arrived safely with the family...rest well.

vt_maverick
05/13/2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks Earl. The girls (and us truth be told) are pretty pooped so we're going to hang here for the night and then leave for Moab early tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to be there by 1 or 2 - any volunteers to ride shotgun while I hunt for a good welding/fab shop? Figure if I need it fixed by Friday morning I better drop it off as soon as possible.

Suggestions much appreciated! Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed that the weld holds for another 400 miles!

tomdietrying
05/13/2012, 06:59 PM
Have a safe trip. You are going to have a blast!
Peace.
Tom

vt_maverick
05/15/2012, 06:25 AM
Well we got here yesterday afternoon safe and sound and then joined the folks at the Stoop for a little while (girls were pretty pooped and at this age - 3 and 9 months - they kind of dictate our schedule). Sue was kind enough to let us store the cargo platform in the room until I find a fab shop to fix it up later in the week. I'll post pics after they fix it.

The one-way trip was 1855 miles or 30 hours of drive time spread across 4 days. The VX drank 3 quarts of oil and more fuel than I expected (fuel economy really dropped when I got to all the 75 MPH zones in Kansas) but otherwise was smooth sailing. I'm told that I officially win the "Mileage Award" despite the fact that we have some folks from Canada here this year - so if any of you guys back east are thinking about making the trek some day, it is definitely possible and worth the effort. :)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/Moab_Map.png

WormGod
05/15/2012, 07:21 AM
Mav, I was gonna say, looks like an old blind woman made those welds. :p

Good job on the making the trip. My VX is hardly road trip friendly. It is good for about 200 miles at most. I just don't trust it, heh.

Not comfy.

Too many mechanically unsound things (make me paranoid)

Gas mileage... bwahahahaha.... oh, about 11mpg.

After about 50 miles with the S/C, I want to turn the radio up so loud that it deafens even the drivers next to me. That "whirring" is cool for 20 miles, that's about it. ;)

Making a road trip to FL and back in 2 months but taking the STi, which I also don't trust enough since it has been highly modded, heh. I do trust it more than the VX however. I think I am really just being a Nancy, but I also always expect the worse. The cup is always half empty, heh.

JAMAS
05/15/2012, 08:35 AM
Well we got here yesterday afternoon safe and sound and then joined the folks at the Stoop for a little while (girls were pretty pooped and at this age - 3 and 9 months - they kind of dictate our schedule). Sue was kind enough to let us store the cargo platform in the room until I find a fab shop to fix it up later in the week. I'll post pics after they fix it.

The one-way trip was 1855 miles or 30 hours of drive time spread across 4 days. The VX drank 3 quarts of oil and more fuel than I expected (fuel economy really dropped when I got to all the 75 MPH zones in Kansas) but otherwise was smooth sailing. I'm told that I officially win the "Mileage Award" despite the fact that we have some folks from Canada here this year - so if any of you guys back east are thinking about making the trek some day, it is definitely possible and worth the effort. :)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/Moab_Map.png

If I can FINALLY go next year, we could probably convoy from St. Louis without having to go out of our way.

Who knows what next year will bring....

tom4bren
05/15/2012, 08:42 AM
I'm really trying to get there next year too. Not sure if anyone wants to caravan wit me though since we'll be doing the RV thing & towing the VX behind (may be a little on the slow side).

Triathlete
05/15/2012, 09:13 AM
They could draft behind you for better gas mileage! :)

yellowgizmo99
05/15/2012, 09:16 AM
man that's what I was going to put, you added it while I was reading, lol.

JAMAS
05/15/2012, 11:49 AM
Or just get a really big trailer and we can ALL ride in the RV.

imagine the gas savings then.

tom4bren
05/15/2012, 12:36 PM
...imagine the gas savings then.

From who's perspective???:)

RV has a Triton V10. Prolly getting 10 mpg ... downhill.

JAMAS
05/15/2012, 01:18 PM
From who's perspective???:)

RV has a Triton V10. Prolly getting 10 mpg ... downhill.

Yeah, I was looking at it from my perspective. :):)

tom4bren
05/15/2012, 02:43 PM
You rent the trailer, I'll buy the gas:dance:

vt_maverick
05/15/2012, 03:48 PM
Mav, I was gonna say, looks like an old blind woman made those welds. :p

Good job on the making the trip. My VX is hardly road trip friendly. It is good for about 200 miles at most. I just don't trust it, heh.

Not comfy.

Too many mechanically unsound things (make me paranoid)

Gas mileage... bwahahahaha.... oh, about 11mpg.

After about 50 miles with the S/C, I want to turn the radio up so loud that it deafens even the drivers next to me. That "whirring" is cool for 20 miles, that's about it. ;)

Making a road trip to FL and back in 2 months but taking the STi, which I also don't trust enough since it has been highly modded, heh. I do trust it more than the VX however. I think I am really just being a Nancy, but I also always expect the worse. The cup is always half empty, heh.

I hear you, especially since my VX is now highly mechanically modded as well (5-speed being the most significant). I've spent most of the last 4 months meticulously upgrading, repairing, or replacing parts on my VX to try and ensure the best reliability possible. Here's a brief list of the bigger items:

New Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires (including full-size spare)
Rocky Road Supersliders
Rocky Road Diff Guard
Air Lift 1000 coil spring helpers
Had ABS module repaired (thanks for the loaner Sue!)
Cleaned up O2 sensor issues (one went bad and the wiring was backwards)
Installed new tom4bren hitch
Upgraded lighting (HIDs, LEDs)
Had a Car PC installed with touch-screen OBD II reader, GPS, internet, audio, etc.

Hence why I've been off the board a LOT lately. :)

vt_maverick
05/15/2012, 03:51 PM
I'm really trying to get there next year too. Not sure if anyone wants to caravan wit me though since we'll be doing the RV thing & towing the VX behind (may be a little on the slow side).

We'd be slow too - the girls ride great but will generally demand a food/diaper/bottle stop every 190-240 miles. Not bad, except those stops typically take an hour to an hour and a half by the time we eat, change them, walk the dog, etc.

vt_maverick
05/15/2012, 03:52 PM
Btw, spent about 6 hours doing Fins and Things with the group today. Pucker factor was definitely there, although I think I was more scared for Sue on a couple of the super steep uphill climbs! :eek:

Long exhausting day but the girls did great and Mr. Kilby builds a hell of a skid plate. :thumbup:

vt_maverick
05/23/2012, 04:39 PM
Update... made it to Wisconsin Sunday evening without a problem. Man does she drink the oil though - I've put at least 6 quarts in since we left Virginia over 3400 miles ago. Interestingly I've noticed the burn mostly occurs when driving at high speed, which in most cases were 75 MPH zones in Kansas, Colorado, Utah, and Nebraska. Driving in and around Moab, in the city, and in 65 MPH zones in the other states resulted in little to no oil burn.

Here's an updated map. We stopped in Colorado Springs on the way to Wisconsin so Mahalia could see a dinosaur museum (and the girls could take a break from all the riding).

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/Wisconsin_Map.png

Triathlete
05/23/2012, 05:19 PM
To bad you didn't get out in any of the trails in Moab that had dinosaur tracks and one I know of has dino bones.

VX KAT
05/23/2012, 10:34 PM
Btw, spent about 6 hours doing Fins and Things with the group today. Pucker factor was definitely there, although I think I was more scared for Sue on a couple of the super steep uphill climbs! :eek:

Long exhausting day but the girls did great and Mr. Kilby builds a hell of a skid plate. :thumbup:

Well if Andy (Kodiak's sister) and I hadn't been having so much fun laughing and such, perhaps I would have remembered to shift back into 4Lo for Baby Lion's Back...:slap:...then you wouldn't have been scared! :laugho:

But hey, I was determined and the 3rd try was successful....in 4Hi !!!!!!
I made history! I'm famous now!
So boyz, was it driving skill or VX performance?.....maybe a little of both! ;)

Triathlete
05/23/2012, 10:50 PM
Well if Andy (Kodiak's sister) and I hadn't been having so much fun laughing and such, perhaps I would have remembered to shift back into 4Lo for Baby Lion's Back...:slap:...then you wouldn't have been scared! :laugho:

But hey, I was determined and the 3rd try was successful....in 4Hi !!!!!!
I made history! I'm famous now!
So boyz, was it driving skill or VX performance?.....maybe a little of both! ;)

Ooooo! :( Not healthy on the trannu.

vt_maverick
06/04/2012, 08:33 AM
Finally made it home a little after midnight last night. Google Maps shows the trip was 4,354 miles, but with in and around driving in Moab, Colorado Springs, and Wisconsin it was probably well over 5,000. I changed the oil before we left Wisconsin, and after burning 6-7 quarts over the first 3,500 miles or so we burned only half a quart on the way home. That's despite the last 200-300 miles spent climbing the mountains through southeast Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia, during which I burned maybe 1/4 quart. The major difference was that the speed limit was no higher than 70 MPH on the way back, with many of the miles at 65 or under (vs. 75 MPH through much of the lower Midwest). This seems to confirm my theory that oil burn (at least for my VX) is largely driven by how fast I'm driving, with the tipping point being right around 75 MPH. Anything less than that and I barely burn, anything over that and I start hemorrhaging oil. I also kept track of my MPG for much of the trip, so I'll post that whenever I get it off my phone.

Here's the final map showing our route. Saw a lot of America along the way, 14 states by my count. I must say I felt like it was a major accomplishment to drive a 12 year old vehicle with 95K miles and an oil burning engine that far with zero mechanical issues. :thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3300/Complete_Map.png

JoFotoz
06/04/2012, 09:19 AM
Now thats a road trip....Congrats Ashley & family!

Jo

Scott Harness
06/04/2012, 10:39 AM
Now thats a road trip....Congrats Ashley & family!

Jo
X2...I won't complain about my Dallas to Moab trip again!:yesb: