PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new hood scoop?

Zu4two
10/12/2003, 12:58 AM
After months of looking for just the right scoop, I stumbled upon this hand laid carbon fiber hood scoop.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/82hoodscoop1-med.jpg

It not only looks good (IMHO), but is functional. I drilled 5 - 2" diameter holes though the hood and insert and glued electrical box chase nipples in the holes to trim them out.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/82hoodscoop4-med.jpg

I wasn't satisfied with the airflow through the scoop after I put it in. As a matter of fact, there was no noticeable airflow through the scoop, even at 40 MPH (Just ask my wife, who was driving while I climbed out onto the windshield to feel for hot air). I then fashioned an internal "collector scoop" to capture some of the air coming off the radiator fan. Now there is quite a bit of air flowing through the scoop, even at idle. Even with the good airflow, I didn't see any reduction in engine temps.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/82hoodscoop3-med.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/82hoodscoop2-med.jpg

The scoop is fashioned from hand laid carbon fiber matt and I think goes quite well with the grey color of the hood insert.

So what do you think of my hood scoop? (Be nice, I'm quite sensitive when it comes to my Baby)

Kirk

tiggergreen
10/12/2003, 02:40 AM
I think it looks great. Well done...

Brent

Hotsauce
10/12/2003, 06:00 AM
I like the dual air filter tube, what is the source of that Y pipe?

John C.

dutchie
10/12/2003, 06:11 AM
very nice indeed!:)

Dallas4u
10/12/2003, 07:41 AM
It's a nice scoop, but I'd say you need more CF exterior parts, or it looks a bit out of place. It is nice, though.

So, no temp reduction?

Cyrk
10/12/2003, 08:15 AM
Nice where can I get one... non CarbonFiber

valenki
10/12/2003, 08:22 AM
what are those fog lights? I like those...

totallto
10/12/2003, 09:18 AM
Yeah, the scoop looks good!;pr;
I like the driving light too, I like how they fill the space.
what kind are they! I need some fogs!

Zu4two
10/12/2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Now to answer some questions.

I like the dual air filter tube, what is the source of that Y pipe?

That's the dual "HKS style" filter from R1. I then spent as much as I did on the filter, replacing the foam filter elements with real HKS foam filter media.

So, no temp reduction?

No, no noticeable temp reduction. And now the middle of the windshield gets warm to the touch (might be a good thing in colder climates).

Nice where can I get one... non CarbonFiber

The scoop was made by Buddy Club 2 (www.buddyclub2.com) and they offer a cheaper gel coated fiberglass scoop of the same dimensions, ready for paint.

what are those fog lights? I like those...

Those are PIAA P-3000 lights. They contain both a driving light and a long range spot, along with a marker light in each light. They ain't cheap though! PIAA makes really high quality stuff!

I know in another thread there were questions about draining water with the hood scoop. When I cut the vent holes in the hood insert, I cut them about an inch bigger in diameter than the ones in the metal hood. The plastic hole inserts are siliconed into the metal hood and extend about 1/2" above the top of the hood insert. The water when it runs into the scoop, goes through the over sized holes in the hood insert and out the drain tubes at the front of the hood. I tested my engineering by dumping a whole bucket of water into the scoop and not a drop made it onto the engine!

Kirk

MZ-N10
10/12/2003, 04:47 PM
I would have to agree with who ever said the hood scoope seems kind of out of place because it is the only cf on the car...other then tat it looks damn good..and by the way how did u get it to stick on?
________
_xDiamonDx_ live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/_xDiamonDx_)

Triathlete
10/12/2003, 08:14 PM
I think I need a better look at it, so you'll have to bring it down in November!;Db; ;Db; ;Do; ;Dp; ;Dr; ;Dy;

IsuZOOM
10/13/2003, 08:22 AM
Any ill effects during a big rainstorm with that?

jorma
11/27/2003, 10:01 PM
I'm going to get a set of those PIAA fogs, did you have to do any modifications to the mounting brackets, or did the ones supplied with the kit work?
Sincerely,
Mike

'99 VX Black

Medman
11/28/2003, 08:31 AM
I really like that hood scoop Zu4TWO!! How did you mount it to the insert? Is it bolted on or is it glued on with some sort of super adhesive?

totallto
11/28/2003, 11:09 AM
Got some of em fog lights on the way!
For them dark days here in WA state.
Got to have my fogs/drive on all my cars, like to be able to see!
Thanks Zu4two

VehiSHARK
11/28/2003, 11:30 AM
it would be slick if it was molded into the whole hood insert

making it flush

totallto
12/03/2003, 06:30 PM
ZU4TWO,

OH MY GOD!
The P 3000 lights are BAD!
I'm the type of guy that puts fogs/drive lights on all my cars.
Even got 4 huge drive lights on my 76 mini, who needs daylight!
The P-3000 are the best yet.
I was thinking about changing the 3000 marker lights to green like my horns. But I think I will change the horns to Xtreme white bulbs like my to headlights and the spotlight on the P-3000!
thanks dude!

;eekr;

mrtew
12/03/2003, 08:47 PM
I like the scoop, but it kinda looks like it's on backwards to me. I guess I expect it to face into the oncoming air so it can 'scoop' up the oxygen that the engine desperately needs. Why is it facing the back instead of the front?

WyrreJ
12/03/2003, 09:13 PM
The engine has lots of oxygen, or at least scooping in more air won't increase the amount of oxygen unless you are driving like 500mph. But the engine could do with less heat, so the theory behind the rear facing scoop is to extract heat from the engine compartment.

Zu4two
12/03/2003, 09:52 PM
I'm glad you like the P-3K's. They sure put out a lot of light for such a small fixture. I ended up making custom white LED "bulbs" for the marker lamps. They put out a pinpoint blueish-white light. I took the blue bulbs out and put them in my horn lights.

I experimented with facing the scoop frontwards and then backwards. It actually looked pretty good either way, but I decided on the rear facing orientation for several reasons. Being that heat rises, it seemed silly to try to cram cool air into the highest part of the engine compartment. I was also lazy and didn't want to deal with all the things that get sucked/forced into a forward facing scoop (rain, leaves, bugs, etc.), this would have required installation of mesh over the opening and a more positive water evacuation scheme. The shape of the scoop footprint also mimics the curve of the hood insert and just seemed to look better with the opening facing backwards.

As for attachment of the scoop. It came with industrial strength double stick tape already applied to the bottom. The carbon fiber is so light, that the tape works just fine at securing the scoop to the hood insert. It's been on there for several months, and hasn't come off, even at 110 ;Dp; !

totallto
12/05/2003, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I like the blue lights too, I will change the horns to the same blue as the P-3000 marker lights!;eekr;

WyrreJ
12/05/2003, 10:16 PM
Depending on how busy the local cops are you may get busted for the blue lights.

Heraclid
12/06/2003, 10:12 AM
True - been there, done that. Blues and reds can get you in trouble. It would take a real jerk to stop you for it since I imagine it's not a real solid true blue we're talking about here, though - at least with me I had four solid red neon tubes putting out a lot more of the offending color. Cops in Jacksonville didn't so a thing, cops in Starke had nothing better to do.

totallto
12/10/2003, 03:27 AM
Well, then it's back to green ! ;pg;

FeatherFoot
12/10/2003, 04:30 PM
There is a significant pressure wave at the hood/windshield area and the rear facing `scoop' was actually blowing cold air down on top of the engine/SC and forcing the heat and dust out the open bottom.

With the forward facing scoop inside, I would think that the reduced pressure under the hood is going to result in more dust and debris on top of the engine. the air you are syphioning out the top may cause other components to run hotter because of the reduced flow under the VX.

Just a thought.

FF