PDA

View Full Version : body lift or not???

givegodachance
05/10/2012, 06:08 AM
Buying my first vx I don't know a lot about them but am learning. I would like to know if I should do a body lift or not. The one I bought has a 3 inch suspension lift. I want to put 33s on it but they will rub. Can you see the gap of a 3 inch body lift? And how hard is it to put on? And what do I need to know if I do it?

Ldub
05/10/2012, 06:27 AM
And how hard is it to put on? And what do I need to know if I do it?

The "how to" section of the forums to the rescue...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=91

tom4bren
05/10/2012, 06:44 AM
You should be able to fit 33's without the body lift. Some trimming around the front fenders may be all that's needed.

givegodachance
05/10/2012, 06:52 AM
Can you see the lift like you can on a wrangler. If you put a 3 in on a jeep it looks as if it were floating just above the frame. Is that the case with the vx

tom4bren
05/10/2012, 07:51 AM
Mebbe this'll help:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21305&highlight=body+lift

Another thing to consider is that if you do the body lift, you won't be able to have the hitch hidden behind the rear cladding (prolly not important but worth mentioning).

givegodachance
05/10/2012, 08:01 AM
Mebbe this'll help:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21305&highlight=body+lift

Another thing to consider is that if you do the body lift, you won't be able to have the hitch hidden behind the rear cladding (prolly not important but worth mentioning).

That's good but it don't show the gap of the body and frame

TheGanzman
05/10/2012, 08:07 AM
Go for it! You guys keep "choppin' 'em up" - makes the ones that AREN'T (like mine) worth more $ down the road!:grino:

givegodachance
05/10/2012, 09:14 AM
Go for it! You guys keep "choppin' 'em up" - makes the ones that AREN'T (like mine) worth more $ down the road!:grino:

Ya know its not about money. I don't care if its worth 100 or 100000 dollars. I want t,o have fun with it. If I had a lambo suv I would still raise it up. Yours could be worth a million bucks and mine worth 1000 but all the memorys I will have with me family is priceless. Money comes and goes but memorys are forever. And anyway, I don't plan on selling mine, its not a investmest

Triathlete
05/10/2012, 09:22 AM
Ya know its not about money. I don't care if its worth 100 or 100000 dollars. I want t,o have fun with it. If I had a lambo suv I would still raise it up. Yours could be worth a million bucks and mine worth 1000 but all the memorys I will have with me family is priceless. Money comes and goes but memorys are forever. And anyway, I don't plan on selling mine, its not a investmest

^^^This^^^
Someone gets it :)

Triathlete
05/10/2012, 09:29 AM
As was stated...no need for a body lift for 33's. A small amount of trimming the front of the cladding on the front wheel well along with a little trimming and massaging with a bfh on the back of the front wheel well and they will fit like a charm.
We have members running 33's with no lift and some running 35's with a lift but no body lift.

pbkid
05/10/2012, 11:31 AM

Damn, we really need to implement a 'thumbs up' button... I would have hit it ten times for that post.

I personally dont think a $5000 vehicle is worth babying. Have fun with it.

Ldub
05/10/2012, 11:46 AM
Damn, we really need to implement a 'thumbs up' button... I would have hit it ten times for that post.

:thumbup:.:thumbup:.:thumbup:.:thumbup:.:thumbup:. :thumbup:.:thumbup:.:thumbup:.:thumbup:.:thumbup:

OR you could rate the thread with 5 stars...;)

VXorado
05/10/2012, 01:55 PM
Can you see the lift like you can on a wrangler. If you put a 3 in on a jeep it looks as if it were floating just above the frame. Is that the case with the vx

I have the 3" body lift. I tried running 35" tires with all suspension lift first and decided I wanted to reduce strain on the drive train by adding the BL lift. The BL has been great and I use the VX as my daily driver without any issues.

You can't see an "air gap" between the frame and body because the awesome VX body/cladding wraps down more than other vehicles. The frame does stick out in a few spots which can be a little unattractive. I used rock sliders to cover up the sides and am still working on making the back pretty. :)

In your case, I wouldn't go for a 3" BL because it will be too much for 33" tires. Instead go with a 1" BL and a 2" suspension lift or just keep the 3" suspension lift. The 3" body lift works well for 34"-37" tires.

I'll snap some better pics today so you can see for yourself.

givegodachance
05/10/2012, 03:43 PM
I have the 3" body lift. I tried running 35" tires with all suspension lift first and decided I wanted to reduce strain on the drive train by adding the BL lift. The BL has been great and I use the VX as my daily driver without any issues.

You can't see an "air gap" between the frame and body because the awesome VX body/cladding wraps down more than other vehicles. The frame does stick out in a few spots which can be a little unattractive. I used rock sliders to cover up the sides and am still working on making the back pretty. :)

In your case, I wouldn't go for a 3" BL because it will be too much for 33" tires. Instead go with a 1" BL and a 2" suspension lift or just keep the 3" suspension lift. The 3" body lift works well for 34"-37" tires.

I'll snap some better pics today so you can see for yourself.

thank you i would love to see them

VXorado
05/10/2012, 03:47 PM
Frame mounts are visible below the front bumper- it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/106_2312.jpg

The frame will be more visible in a side profile.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/106_2304.jpg

I installed rocksliders which covered up the frame.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/106_2305.jpg

I lifted the gas tank 4" because after the BL it will hang down very low and look strange with out a bumper covering it.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/106_2306.jpg

This is the only real ugly section of the frame that is visible with the 3" BL. I plan to make it look better but haven't gotten there yet.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/106_2308.jpg

If you look into the front wheel well, you can see the front lifting pucks, otherwise you have to be underneath the VX to find them. Like I said previously, the cladding does a great job of covering up the lift points. Hope this helps ;)

VXorado
05/10/2012, 03:49 PM
One more... front wheel well

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/106_2311.jpg

givegodachance
05/10/2012, 04:31 PM
That is a sweet rig. I think I will do the body lift and with the 3 inch suspension the 33s should look pretty little. Did you have any problems putting it on? Any unforseen issues that I should be aware of first

VXorado
05/10/2012, 07:32 PM
Did you have any problems putting it on? Any unforseen issues that I should be aware of first

No problems, the install is fairly straight forward and I haven't had any BL specific problems since I installed the lift last October.

Just follow the how-to that Ldub posted earlier. I wrote it and it covers all the steps. Good luck with the mods!!!

Gussie2000
05/10/2012, 09:05 PM
That's a nice jeep,VXorado !!!!!!!!

pbkid
05/10/2012, 09:34 PM

eh??;wtf;

waddya mean?

VXorado
05/11/2012, 11:59 AM

Hey now, it's not a Jeep. Why the insult?

angeno
05/11/2012, 12:17 PM
Excellently put!

:bgwb:

pbkid
05/11/2012, 03:16 PM
Hey now, it's not a Jeep. Why the insult?

Im not sure he meant it as in insult.... sometimes those computer things make statements appear different than the intention behind it...

Although the statement doesnt make much sense otherwise..

VXorado
05/11/2012, 06:37 PM
Im not sure he meant it as in insult.... sometimes those computer things make statements appear different than the intention behind it...

Although the statement doesnt make much sense otherwise..

I know he doesn't like the big tires, snorkel, etc... and that's fine, to each his own.

Even though I don't particularly care for my VX being compared to a Jeep, I actually meant my comment as a joke. Just forgot the smiley.

Hey now, it's not a Jeep. Why the insult? (:laughing:)

Fixed :thumbup:

Might be an inside joke because I used to own a jeep and my wife drives one. I guess it's better to get compared to a Jeep than a Rav 4 anyways :righty:

tom4bren
05/15/2012, 03:14 PM
No problems, the install is fairly straight forward and I haven't had any BL specific problems since I installed the lift last October.

Just follow the how-to that Ldub posted earlier. I wrote it and it covers all the steps. Good luck with the mods!!!

I'm too lazy to look it up - did you hafta cut or remove your fan shroud when you did the body lift?